Talk

Advanced search

I really like Sheherazade but....

(49 Posts)
boodleboot Mon 25-May-09 10:43:42

....is it just unworkable in real life...??

Penthesileia Mon 25-May-09 10:49:53

Well, I'm sure you'll get a few stares and "ooh, how unusual" when you say that this is your baby's name.

But who cares? If you like it, go for it. smile

Personally, I think it sounds beautiful; and it's always lovely, I think, to be named after an interesting or feisty character from literature, folklore, or history.

I have a friend with a really unusual, and, at first hearing, frankly ridiculous name. However, she carries it off. She just does. When I first met her (or rather heard of her), I had to suppress a smirk at her hame (blush not proud of that, but her name is really curious, for a name IYSWIM). But now I don't even think about it, except when I'm on baby-naming threads and people trot out this idea that some names are unworkable. IME, people make their own names work.

The only thing I'd say about Sheherazade is that your little DD will really struggle to spell her own name for the first couple of years of her life. I have a pretty average name (quite long), and it was a while before I could spell the long version (rather than the diminuitive, which is what I'm known by).

JustcallmeDog Mon 25-May-09 10:51:31

Message withdrawn

Penthesileia Mon 25-May-09 10:54:01

Shuh-hair-ah-zahd is how I would pronounce it.

bigstripeytiger Mon 25-May-09 11:05:27

I think its beautiful. I dont know how workable it is, but if you like it then go for it.
It is a long name, but it only has a couple more letters than something like 'Elizabeth', which you probably wouldnt worry about a child learning to spell.

hobbgoblin Mon 25-May-09 11:06:29

I like it but always think 'Goat' now thanks to MN!

I like name Penthesileia too and agree with her post above wink

violethill Mon 25-May-09 11:18:37

I think it's beautiful and if you're brave enough then go for it!

A word of warning though - I would decide on an abbreviation first. Normally I dislike 'manufacturing' an abbreviation or nn, but I have this awful feeling your dd could end up being called Shaz or similar by other kids unless you get in there first!

Luxmum Mon 25-May-09 11:23:16

Hmm, the poor child wont be able to spell it fro YEARS, and I can only imagine the miss spellings on all her letters over her life. Can you give her an alternative middle name,to use if this one works out unworkable, or just doesnt suit her? It sounds nice, but I'm really stumped as to how youd say it, and can only imagine that it will get abbreviated to 'shazza'at school. Anything with more than two sylables gets shortened, whether you want it to or not..

macherie Mon 25-May-09 11:47:49

Sha-hair-etz-za-da (I read that in vogue in a profile of Zac Goldsmiths wife wink

I think it's a lovely name, but I wouldn't give it to my child. My 3 have semi-unusual names, and are a little self conscious of their names at times. I think that would be a step too far.

I met someone yesterday whose dd had a really cutesy little girl name, and it always makes me wonder how they will view their name when they are a high court judge or the CEO of a multi-national, IYSWIM.

BonsoirAnna Mon 25-May-09 11:49:24

It's a beautiful name and can be shortened to Chouchou, which is very cute smile

luvoneson Mon 25-May-09 12:03:36

It is a lovely name but what would worry me is the fact that a lot of people will not be able to pronounce or spell it. Its quite long as well. Does remind me of Goldsmith clan as well.

peppapig3 Mon 25-May-09 12:18:02

It is a really lovely name. Whether it is workable or not probably depends upon where you live/ what sort of schools your children will attend, etc!!

BigBellasBeerBelly Mon 25-May-09 12:22:22

She will have to spell it to everyone her whole life.

I do like it though.

PuppyMonkey Mon 25-May-09 12:25:47

Ponce-tastic!

Thunderduck Mon 25-May-09 12:33:28

I don't like it.Poor child. She'll be 10 before she learns to spell her name.

Hassled Mon 25-May-09 12:35:21

Sorry, I think ponce-tastic is the best description. You're in danger of having a DD who resents you forever for saddling her with a ridiculous, impossible to spell name. Would you have wanted to go through life with a name like that?

Thunderduck Mon 25-May-09 12:36:15

Also I think an adult with that name would need to have a certain look or it'd be completely ridiculous.

Greensleeves Mon 25-May-09 12:37:54

I think there's nothing wrong with it, but would advise that you choose your preferred abbreviation and get it nicely entrenched before she gets too big

All this hysteria about it being difficult to spell etc is a fuss about nothing IMO. I have to spell my name for people all the time, and even the shortened version has at least three different spellings. It's such a small thing it really doesn't impact my quality of life, any more than having to push my wheelybin up a very steep slope because our house is high up.

Call your child what you like and don't get bogged down in the minute objections people raise.

BigBellasBeerBelly Mon 25-May-09 12:55:11

Greenie I have to spell my surname and it really gets on my tits every time I have to do it...

Depends on personality I guess.

SheherazadetheGoat Mon 25-May-09 13:08:48

only go for it if you can imagine yelling it down the aisle of a lower end supermarket without going red.

the other goats laugh at me but i brazen it out

violethill Mon 25-May-09 14:56:04

Actually on second thoughts I think Thunderduck has a point.

As an adult, I think it could be difficult to carry off, unless you are very beautiful/striking/exotic/unusual.

If she grows up, marries Mr Smith and lives in a semi in suburbia she might feel a bit silly!

lockets Mon 25-May-09 15:01:12

Message withdrawn

skihorse Mon 25-May-09 15:01:37

violethill you're bang on the money... and let's face it - she probably WILL end up in Suburbia rather than Vogue...

lockets Mon 25-May-09 15:04:34

Message withdrawn

muffle Mon 25-May-09 14:37:11

Could be zadie for short?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now