Talk

Advanced search

Matilda or Alice? And nn's

(30 Posts)
JoPie Sat 23-May-09 11:38:52

Which do you prefer, Matilda or Alice? Surname begins with an O' if that makes any difference.

Also wondering what nicknames you would use for both?

rubyslippers Sat 23-May-09 11:42:40

Matilda is lovely - tilly, tilda, mattie

alice - not sure about NN - v pretty name

lechatnoir Sat 23-May-09 11:49:22

Like Matila & Alice and would resist nicknames as long as possible as I definitely think the full name is best in both cases (although TBH can't think of any for Alice hmm)

HollyPutTheKettleOn Sat 23-May-09 12:01:54

I have an Alice with an O surname, she is very beautiful, just like her name!

As for NNs we chose a name that couldn't really be shortened so that we didn't have an issue with it!

Matilda is lovely too, Tilly is a great shortened version.

iMissEdith Sat 23-May-09 12:04:35

Matilda. Matilda Matilda Matilda.

Not Alice.

peppapig3 Sat 23-May-09 12:10:54

Both lovely but slightly prefer Alice. Prefer the full version of both names.

Thunderduck Sat 23-May-09 13:28:21

Matilda. Full version. I'm generally not a fan of nicknames. I don't see the need for them.

ohdearwhatamess Sat 23-May-09 13:39:09

Love both. I think Alice would work better with an 'O' surname.

Not so keen on Tilly as a nn. Lots and lots of them round here.

gegs73 Sat 23-May-09 13:45:41

I like both, though I prefer Alice. I don't think you would need to shorten it as its a pretty short name anyway. Matilda could be Tilly or Matty.

magbags Sat 23-May-09 13:48:12

I prefer Matilda, I know a little girl called this and she is adorable. Alice is just ok for me.

noddyholder Sat 23-May-09 13:52:29

They are 2 of my faves If pushed I would go for alice

KnitterInTheNW Sat 23-May-09 14:05:33

Alice could be Lissie?

sockmonster Sat 23-May-09 15:00:52

Alice by a mile. Matilda, sorry to all matildas out there, is a lovely name and I don't dislike it.. but seems a bit faddy at the moment. Alice is a classic elegant name.

All I would say though, is that I think it depends on what she will look like- an Alice to me is fair haired, or dark but with blue eyes, whereas Matilda seems to fit a dark haired little girl. Maybe I am associating i with lewis carroll and roald dahl's characters but I wouldn't name a child Alice unless they looked like one.

leothelioness Sat 23-May-09 15:04:13

I know an Alice shortened to Ali but to be honest its lovely and doesn't need a NN

fannybanjo Sat 23-May-09 15:04:44

I was considering Alice for DD3 and we also have an O surname She ended up being called Esme though. I prefer Alice a lot more than Matilda.

foxytocin Sat 23-May-09 15:07:50

oh, both lovely but Alice is the bees...

BikeRunSki Sat 23-May-09 18:24:39

I am an Alice and my name has rarely been shortened. Occassionally Ali, but nn mainly based on surname or distinctive hair, rather than on first name.

I am fair with blue eyes if that helps! But I know a dark grown up Alice too.

Karam Sun 24-May-09 10:20:19

Definitely Matilda. Alice always makes me think of people who are intellectually challenged (think media stereotypes - Vicar of Dibley, Casulty etc...)

Castiel Sun 24-May-09 10:30:29

I have a Mathilda and we call her Mathilda usually but Tildy sometimes. I can't bear Tilly, it's too cutesy and 10 a penny.

Alice is a lovely and classic name too and I did consider it for dd.

Cies Sun 24-May-09 10:32:27

I prefer Alice, it seems to stand the test of time better.

I have an Alice and she occasionally likes to be called Ali but not often, it's such a pretty and short name it doesn't need a nn.

Alice is less popular right now than Matilda, if that's a concern.

I like Matilda too, we have a Tilly in the family

SlartyBartFast Sun 24-May-09 10:47:16

alice doesnt really get a nickname.
perhaps al
or ali
but only at a push.

matilda might,

violethill Sun 24-May-09 11:56:20

Alice.

It doesn't lend itself to a nn which is an advantage! Matilda is lovely, but whatever you say, other people will call her Mattie, Tilda or (shudder) Tillie.

I also think Alice sounds better with an O surname. Plus Alice is more timeless, whereas Matilda has become very popular, and will therefore probably date equally quickly.

nooki Sun 24-May-09 11:56:36

Definately Alice - much more classic. Agree that Matilda is quite 'trendy' at the moment and may date more than a classic name like Alice.

No need for a nickname for Alice imo - it's short enough.

BottySpottom Sun 24-May-09 12:21:34

Both beautiful. I too think of Alice being a name for a blonde little girl. I also remember meeting a very trendy, edgy adult called Alice and couldn't quite fit the name to her personality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now