Talk

Advanced search

Ok, now a middle name to go wtih Matilda

(29 Posts)
KiBe Thu 21-May-09 17:38:23

We are thinking about Geraldine as middle name for Matilda, after my cousin that passed away a few years ago that I was very close to. However, I haven't asked my aunt about it yet, so I'm not sure how keen she will be for me to do that (I don't know if she'll have an objection for any other reason than it would be too sad). Also, not sure if it doesn't make her name very "fussy".

So, suggestions. Surname begins with D, so I thought Anne but that makes her inititals "MAD" which I'm not sure would be a great idea!

BunnyLebowski Thu 21-May-09 17:44:06

Matilda Geraldine sounds a bit clunky but if you want to honour your cousin then who cares I suppose!

As for Anne I don't think following a name that ends in an "a" sound with a name that begins with an "a" sound sounds right iyswim?

What about Matilda Jane? Goes really well imo smile

LessThenIdeal Thu 21-May-09 17:56:23

I like Matilda May.

KathyBrown Thu 21-May-09 18:04:05

Matilda Grace I would choose. Or Rose

GossipMonger Thu 21-May-09 18:07:56

Matilda Hope Geraldine

Matilda Faye

Matilda Frances

Matilda Beatrice

Matilda Kate

Sesi Thu 21-May-09 18:14:03

I think Matilda Geraldine is fine. I would go for a longish name. Everyone (no exaggeration) uses Grace, Rose or May so I would avoid those three.

belgo Thu 21-May-09 18:16:35

Agree, Rose, Grace and May are far too popular as middle names. Matilda Geraldine is lovely, and very meaningful.

GossipMonger Thu 21-May-09 18:18:48

Both my boys have middle names that are names of members of the family.

DS1 is named after my Dad and BIL

and

DS2 is named after DH and his Grandad.

I think it is lovely to keep names in the family that mean something rather than names for the sake of it. Grace, May and Rose are soooooooo overused but pretty.

NeedaNewName Thu 21-May-09 18:20:06

Unfortunately I agree that Grace is todays equivalent of Anne/Jane when I was a child. I say unfortunately as DD1 name is Matilda Grace - however it does sound lovely together!

matildamum Thu 21-May-09 19:48:14

I've got a Matilda Lois. Lois is a family name for me, but I think it goes well and as the others have said makes a welcome change from Rose, May or Grace.

cbmum Thu 21-May-09 22:05:01

Matilda Rose?

KiBe Fri 22-May-09 17:19:42

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I like Rose, but if we have another daughter they may get called Rosalind, so saving that I think. DP likes Faye and Jane, although my middle name is Jane!

Thanks for being positive about Geraldine too, just have to muster up the courage to ask my aunt, may be a sad conversation.

qumquat Sun 24-May-09 09:31:42

I know three Matilda Roses all born in the last year, so I'd avoid that if I were you!! I prefer longer middle names, it's not as if you're saying the two together all the time so it doesn't matter if it's more of a mouthful.

Matilda Rhiannon
Matilda Christine/a
Matilda Katherine

qumquat Sun 24-May-09 09:36:12

Oops didn't see the Geraldine bit, I think Matilda Geraldine is nice, although it perhaps takes quite a bit of confidence to carry off? I don't think I'd have been keen to admit it were my middle name at school . . .

insywinsyspider Tue 26-May-09 15:11:22

no one really uses middle names on a day to day basis so if you have a meaningful name to use then go for it, much better imo than picking a popular 'filler' name for the sake for it
we have Mathilda Claire on our list (Claire is my middle name, I'd like to use my first name as a middle name but its too long smile)

KiBe Thu 28-May-09 17:32:18

Aw, I like Rhiannon as a name too, I now have the Fleetwood Mac song in my head, I think it was on our list for that reason!

Thanks for the input! DD is now Matilda Geraldine, which we are pleased with

womma Thu 28-May-09 21:19:47

Geraldine is a lovely name!

thirtysomething Thu 28-May-09 21:31:58

Matilda Lily/Florence/Frances/Francesca/Emma/Lauren/Anna/Louise/Eugenie/Amalie/kate/Jane/Elisabeth

Ewe Thu 28-May-09 21:41:32

We have a Matilda Eleanor which I (obviously!) think is quite pretty and is name of DPs Great Grandmother so has significance.

I think meaning is more important than "going" as I barely ever use my middle name and she can always drop it when she is bigger if she finds it too long/a faff etc.

Lizzylou Thu 28-May-09 21:43:03

Matilda Elizabeth
Matilda Fay
Matilda Jane

Ninjacat Thu 28-May-09 22:58:19

Matilda Tahlula

qumquat Fri 29-May-09 20:35:18

Congrats KiBE! and hello Matlida Geraldine!

TwoScrambled Sun 31-May-09 12:11:48

Matilda Kate immediatly pooped into my mind. However, as I see you have chosen, congratulations and what a pretty name!

jellybeans Sun 31-May-09 12:27:36

I like Mathilda..

Hope
Louise
Eve
Nicole
Cara
Imogen
Isabelle
Brooke

TwoScrambled Sun 31-May-09 18:02:51

pop not pooped blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now