Talk

Advanced search

Josh as short for Josiah?

(22 Posts)
goomum Wed 13-May-09 13:24:47

We are keen on the name Josiah. However we can't shorten it to Joe as an immediate family member is called Jo. We are going to use the full name Josiah but want to keep options for shortening open. I noticed that searching for Josiah on google throws up a lot of 'Josiah (Josh)' particularly in old wills and ancestry sites.

Other shortened names could be Jos or Joss but this feels a bit feminine to me. What do you think?

A friend also tells me she has heard Josiah pronounced 'JO-SHA'. I can't find this on pronounciation websites. Has anyone heard of this way of saying the name before?

MrsJamin Wed 13-May-09 13:27:26

I know a Josiah nicknamed Jojo - which is really nice for a boy I think, and definitely different to Joe. Josiah's a lovely name

CaptainKarvol Wed 13-May-09 13:30:03

How about Jeb? (have just been watching West Wing DVDs - president Josiah (Jeb) Bartlett)

throckenholt Wed 13-May-09 13:42:28

if you are saying it Joe -sie -a - then it could shorted to Si.

But Josh is fine if you want to use it.

mayanna123 Wed 13-May-09 14:10:36

I wouldn't be sure how to pronounce it - is it Jo-sie-a or Joe-see-a?

In either case, Joe would appear to be the obvious nickname that his friends will likely call him.

VeryAnnieMary Wed 13-May-09 14:13:51

Jeb (another WW fan) - well cool imho!

I knew a male Jos once - nothing feminine about him... <ahem>

goomum Wed 13-May-09 14:55:26

As far as I know it is usually pronounced
JO- SY-AH with the SY rhyming with EYE. Is this what other people are familiar with?

I don't like Jo-see-ah. Is that a common way to say it?

goomum Wed 13-May-09 15:15:03

I'm confused now.

There seems to be multiple ways to pronounce Josiah.

Several examples here lifted from various websites. Which are you familiar with and which do you prefer? How do they say it on Westwing (all you fans!)?

jo-siah,
jos-i-ah
JHowSAYah
joh-ZIY-&#601;,
joh-SIY-&#601;

jo-SIGH-uh
jo - rhymes with SO
uh - rhymes with DUH, THE

The emphasis is on 'SIGH'

j oh - S AY - uh

Apparently Joschija (Hebrew) and Yoshiyah (Hebrew) are older forms of the name. Maybe that is where the Jo-sha variant comes from?

JoPie Wed 13-May-09 15:16:48

I've never heard of anything but Jo-sigh-ah as a pronounciation.
I second Jeb, fab nickname. My boy is Jonah, and his nn is JoJo.

chegirl Wed 13-May-09 16:21:40

Its jo-sigh-ah

I know cos its my name.

BUT be warned. You may not believe this but the general public seem incapable of pronouncing it properly.

Joshi
Joshia
Josina
Joshua
Joshy

FFS its said how it looks grrrrrr.

I have had some corkers in clinics etc when they combine it with my DC's first names. It often get transposed so I always check that my kids' notes are marked up properly or they get misfiled.

Oooh I could rant for ages but this is a baby names thread so maybe not appropriate grin

BlueCowWondersAgainAndAgain Wed 13-May-09 17:50:01

Goomum:
It should be JeD not Jeb in the parallel but better universe that is the West wing grinDo you want your son to grow up to be president of the USA???

But JO- SY-AH with the SY rhyming with EYE. is definitely the pronunciation.

Runoutofideas Wed 13-May-09 18:14:29

My dd1 goes to preschool with a JOsiah who is known as Jossie - Had never considered it being particularly feminine as he's a very boyish boy!

squeaver Wed 13-May-09 18:16:45

Ahem - he's JED Bartlet in WW

I like Jed.

boodleboot Wed 13-May-09 20:24:22

my nephew is Josiah and is known as Jed. this was as a result of a west wing addiction that my sister and her DH had as the president was Josiah....known as Jed Bartlett.

its a great name.....so great that one of my best friends stole it for his second son...to go with brother Miller...

goomum Thu 14-May-09 21:35:45

Isn't Jed short for Josiah Edward Bartlett? Read that on wikipedia or somewhere! So calling him Jed would have us parents down as Westwing fans for eternity when in reality we haven't had time for watching box-sets for a while now! It is on our list of future must sees though. When the little ones have become not so little!

Josh or Jos would seem to have more historic credibility as a nickname ;)

BlueCowWondersAgainAndAgain Thu 14-May-09 21:52:58

Goomum you're a genius! Now shall go and wow dh with my superior knowledge (and probably give him the final push to go and buy the whole damned series!)

BlueCowWondersAgainAndAgain Thu 14-May-09 21:56:52

So OP - work out some fab initials and your ds will be super-cool! (and go on to be pres!)

weaselm4 Thu 14-May-09 21:57:23

I know of a Josiah (aged about 3 1/2 I think) who is known as Jed. Think it's cool.

goomum Sun 17-May-09 17:09:12

DH has suggested Jay as nickname for Josiah. What do you think?

goomum Wed 20-May-09 20:11:24

Chegirl are you male or female? Has anyone heard the name Josiah on a female?

halia Wed 20-May-09 21:30:44

Joe Sigh Ah is the pronunciation and whilst I'm not keen on it as a name I LOVE Jed. Josh I think works equally well as a short.

OrionAG Wed 12-Aug-15 21:48:28

I know this is an old post, but we are naming our second boy Josiah and have tossed around the idea of Josh and though I don't mind it I explored another option less likely to be considered or even used. Sy or Psy is our favorite less obvious nickname. Either way I'm sure he will decide in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now