Talk

Advanced search

is wren a girls or boys name ?

(92 Posts)
bumpsoon Wed 29-Apr-09 17:19:21

yes i know its a bird !!!!

OP’s posts: |
OwlBeThere Sat 18-Jan-20 02:22:52

My kids go to school with children with all kinds of unusual/odd names. Only my daughter has only ever commented on a name being weird. The name? Nick.

The pound being what you might consider odd, a child of this era would find perfectly normal. It’s so subjective an area that I think trying to second guess what might or might not affect a child is school is pointless. I have totally normal name, one that’s top ten for girls now, but I was the only one in my school in the 80s growing up and I hated it, my daughter by contrast has a name that is very very unusual and she loves being the only one.

Buttercup54321 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:48:22

Girl. But Id leave it to the birds.
Awful for a boy.

OverthinkingThis Thu 16-Jan-20 15:52:03

I would assume girl based on previous MN threads. But I've never heard it used in real life.

Lavenderblues Thu 16-Jan-20 06:55:46

I know a boy Wren. It doesn't sound feminine at all.

Whatsyourflava Wed 15-Jan-20 23:37:39

I think it’s unisex

RandDandC Wed 15-Jan-20 22:45:25

I know one Wren, a girl, so I associate the name with girls.

Urkiddingright Wed 15-Jan-20 21:55:51

Girl.

peppinanna Tue 14-Jan-20 19:17:50

Definitely girl I can't imagine a boy Wren!

PlantPotting Tue 14-Jan-20 18:48:30

@percheron67 @Twelve8Ts

I know doesn’t it show how (relatively) quickly attitudes about names change 🤣. I know two little Wren’s now (girls) and there’s a big Instagram mum (Katie Ellison) who has a boy called Wren. I remember discussion on here recently saying Wren was becoming too popular and the poster wanted a less run of mill name 🤣 yet here we were ten years ago acting like Wren was completely wacky and unusual!

Twelve8Ts Tue 14-Jan-20 18:31:42

Oh yeah! Sorry! Didn’t even notice! Thought it was odd that everyone thought it was so unusual.

Wheresthebiffer2 Tue 14-Jan-20 18:10:16

i knew a man called Wren - so I say it is a male name.

tisonlymeagain Tue 14-Jan-20 18:02:59

Girl

percheron67 Tue 14-Jan-20 17:54:50

Not troubling me. It isn't my children who will have ridiculous names!

PlantPotting Tue 14-Jan-20 17:50:39

@percheron67 the thread is about ten years old so you can sleep easy if it’s troubling you

I love Wren for a girl or boy

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT

🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

percheron67 Tue 14-Jan-20 17:46:44

Neither. It is the name of a Bird. So are Kestrel, Jackdaw and Sparrow in case you were considering these.

Twelve8Ts Tue 14-Jan-20 16:33:47

I only know an 8 year old Wren, girl. I see it suggested on here a lot so looks like it’s quite popular.

OwlBeThere Tue 14-Jan-20 02:03:42

Female imo

DramaAlpaca Mon 13-Jan-20 23:12:36

ZOMBIE thread!!!

It's from 2009 fgs, why would someone bother to bump such an old thread? hmm

firsttimeivfmum Mon 13-Jan-20 20:13:16

Girl

PlantPotting Mon 13-Jan-20 19:30:21

I love it as a girls or boys name

It’s entered the mainstream now

Sarasazzle Mon 13-Jan-20 19:08:11

It's a boys name here in Wales and isn't cruel, what a ridiculous small minded thing to say

EdithWeston Tue 27-Dec-11 04:37:47

I'm wondering why this thread reappeared after two years - especially as there have been more recent threads about using Wren as a human name.

I assume OP named the child long ago. sodorable I wouldn't use it (except if cornered as KMC did as family middle name) because these associations are so durably strong.

mathanxiety Tue 27-Dec-11 04:15:37

Girl's name, and becoming more popular.

Robin/Robyn is definitely heading towards being a girl's name imo. I had read the Winnie the Pooh stories to the DCs for years when DD3 stopped me one evening and asked, 'Hey wait a minute, is Christopher Robin a boy ?'

KarenMillenCoat Tue 27-Dec-11 03:08:44

My DS has it as one of his middle names. It is a family name of DH's and the alternative was far worse. grin

I've come to quite like it, though. It's always been used for men in this family but I think it's quite pretty for a girl, too.

sodorable Tue 27-Dec-11 02:49:22

im looking into using this name in the future as either a boy or girl name. it works for both. the wren bird is known as the little king...kings are boys! but also a bird seems feminine so as a girl it is lovely as well. i have heard it for both and it always suited the person.

my name is Reina. my daughters name is Elsie. both are strange and not common but fit us.

other names i had in mind were Eisley, Emerie/Amerie, Ruby Skye, Alys

for boys Cabel Sebastian, Kyson, Remmington(Rem), Maks, Kasch(blackbird)

all perfect names imho....wish i could use them alll!!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in