loader

Talk

Advanced search

ADDISON ....

(31 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 22:29:02

Is a boys name,

I'd just like to point this out!

Lots of people have been mentioning it as a girls name and I don't understand why?!

Its an old english name and its literal meaning is 'Son of Adam'

son not daughter.

My husband is Adam, hence us using this name.

wink

see here

artichokes Thu 26-Feb-09 22:36:35

In the US its often used as a girl's name. There is a female Addison in Grey's Anatomy so maybe that is why people are mentioning it.

lockets Thu 26-Feb-09 22:37:06

Message withdrawn

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 22:37:39

Yes, but surely they would look up the meaning?

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 22:38:37

Maybe you should inform her parents of its meaning. wink

TheFallenMadonna Thu 26-Feb-09 22:39:01

I didn't look up the meaning of the names we chose for our children.

lockets Thu 26-Feb-09 22:40:15

Message withdrawn

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 22:41:53

it still says the meaning is 'son of adam'

so don't umnderstand why you would call a girl that?

or even a boy whos dad isnt called adam!

bytheLiffey Thu 26-Feb-09 22:42:04

I see your reasoning, but I wouldn't.

Americans first used Madison as a first name for girls. Why for girls and not for boys? They have a habit of using former presidents' names for girls, also Kennedy.

But in the case of Madison it was really after the mermaid which was after the avenue named for the president !

Then, when Madison saturated the population, we got Maddison with two ds and then, oh bright spark, Addison!

i posted on some US girls name boards when I was prg 4 yrs ago, turned out to be a boy, but all the names they discuss and suggest for girls are sur names.

I would use Edison for a boy after the light bulb fella! I know that your husband is ADam not Edward, but still, I think it's a safer name choice, for his whole life, long after you're gone too.

Using Addison for a boy could be risky. I agree with you, it's a boy's name, but Morgan is a boy's name imo, but some people like that and deliberately choose an androgenous name for their dd.

I 'gave out' to some Americans for using Finn and Rory for girls! told them they were corrupting celtic culture. did they care? NOPE! rory is like super cute for a girl.

Their culture washes over us and makes things the norm here whether we want it or not. Names like Finley and Rory, and apparently even Stanley will eventually be regarded as women's names.

lockets Thu 26-Feb-09 22:43:07

Message withdrawn

bytheLiffey Thu 26-Feb-09 22:43:56

What does Alison mean?!!

LauriefairycakeeatsCupid Thu 26-Feb-09 22:44:32

addison - a real cool doc in Greys Anatomy so probably very popular in the States

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 22:45:43

Lol, well my Addison is 4 now!

But its still a boys name in my book.

Saying that .. my daughter is caller Rorie, lol.

Its not boys names being used for girls that bothers me .. its just because of the meaning, its so literal that I find it hard to see how it could be used for a girl IYKWIM?

lockets Thu 26-Feb-09 22:48:44

Message withdrawn

ninedragons Thu 26-Feb-09 22:48:52

Brendan means "stinking hair" and Cecily means "blind" (I think), so some people obviously don't look too deeply into the meanings of the names they give their children.

I have heard of a few female Dylans in the US, but sometimes names do change gender - Evelyn and Jocelyn are men's names but I wouldn't have thought there were many pregnant women out there considering them for their DSs.

artichokes Thu 26-Feb-09 22:52:44

As Christians we are all descendents of Adam soithink that from the point of view of the meaning it works for boys and girls

RachieB Thu 26-Feb-09 22:58:52

Addison reminds me of the plastic items range called Addis ( i think ?)

saw mentioned Adyson on a netmums thread earlier ( a girl)

its an ugly sounding name i think,not keen ( for boy or girl)

love Maddison though grin

RachieB Thu 26-Feb-09 22:59:48

lmao @ "stinking hair"

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 23:00:59

Message withdrawn

RachieB Thu 26-Feb-09 23:04:16

erm ....... everyone's entitled to an opinion ?

you need to toughen up on here if easily offended wink

FWIW i didnt mean your child is ugly ( or anyone with same name)

but that ( IMO ) it's a harsh ,ugly SOUNDing name

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 23:05:06

Should have followed MN rule number 1 - never disclose your childrens name, someone will be horrid.

Ah well, off to bed x

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 23:06:27

Its a harsh ugly sdounding name -But Maddison isn't? you 'love' that? hmm

its the same sound hmm

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 23:07:39

And i did not ask for opinions on the name, i was simply explaining the meaning.

bytheLiffey Thu 26-Feb-09 23:10:26

oh right, I thought you were considering the name.

If you called your daughter Rorie then I've no sympathy for you if Addison becomes widely known as a girls name.

Rory is gaelic isn't it? and means red head king I think.

Disenchanted3 Thu 26-Feb-09 23:12:29

Shes called Aurora, Rorie as a pet name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now