Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thalia for a girl?

(51 Posts)
soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 10:00:58

Had never heard of it before but heard it last night and me and DH both really like it. It was in the name book as both Talia and Thalia but I think Thalia is the proper way to spell it?

What does everybody think? We like a name to be uncommon but not comepletly random iyswim?

PrettyCandles Mon 23-Feb-09 10:07:11

Talia (with a long or flat first vowel) - lovely.

Thalia - oh, dear, no. People will not be sure how to pronounce it, and the only way I've ever heard it was to rhyme with 'failure'...guess what the tease-name was.

MrsMattie Mon 23-Feb-09 10:08:40

Love it. Thalia is the Greek spelling and has become more popular recently, I think. I would certainly know how to pronounce it.

'Th'-alia isn't a name anyone would use, is it grin

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 10:21:09

I don't understand how you wouldn't know how to pronounce thalia? I had never heard of it before but still worked it out from reading it in a book and I am rubbish at knowing how to pronounce names.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 23-Feb-09 10:26:29

I've known two Thalias - one adult, one aged about 4 - both pronounced it Taaa-lia. It's a lovely name.

PrettyCandles Mon 23-Feb-09 10:27:57

Thalia - like 'hat'?
Thalia - like 'cart'?
Thalia - like 'pale' (or 'fail')?

sweetkitty Mon 23-Feb-09 10:28:19

Go for it I have a Talia and love it, suits her too

We pronounce it Tah-Lee-ah she sometimes gets Tay-yar which I hate

Talia and Tahlia are Hebrew meaning Dew from Heaven

Thalia is Greek don't know the meaning, I would be worried it would be pronounced Th-lee-ah, with the TH.

We decided on Talia as it was the easiest spelling but doesn't stop some people putting H's in.

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 10:29:11

Pretty candles, sorry I have no idea what you mean? Where is hat/cart/pale coming into it?

Simplysally Mon 23-Feb-09 10:31:42

Soon2 - I think PrettyCandles is referrring to the pronounciation of the 'A'.

Hth.

seeker Mon 23-Feb-09 10:32:57

I think it's pronounced Th-alia. Like Dahlia but with a th.

She was one of the Graces in Ancient Greek mythology, I think. Nice name, but remember that a lot of people can't say th properly. In our bit of Kent she's be Faila, which might be a bit of a problem.

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 12:22:49

I am wondering if it is me saying it wrong then blush

We have been saying it like Tal-ee-a
sort of thing? Is that not right?!? Feel a bit silly now!

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 23-Feb-09 12:28:56

Dunno if there is one definitively correct pronunciation! As I said, both the Thalias I know pronounce it Taaa-lia with a long a sound - and I think the h is silent and anything with a th~ sound at the start is wrong - but who's to say?

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 12:30:47

Thats pretty much how I thought it was said TBH

duchesse Mon 23-Feb-09 12:30:51

The only Thalia I know is pronounced Taa-lia. She is a rather beautiful lady in her 70s. I think it's a lovely name.

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 12:39:52

Ok, I am pronouncing it right then

I said to my mum (over msn) about it and she said it sounds too much like "ta" as in "Thank you"? hmm

brodiesprime Mon 23-Feb-09 12:43:57

It's actually considered a downmarket name where I live.

sorry

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 12:45:08

Really brodie? what do you mean? As in, is it very common or something? I have never heard of it before last night.

Peachy Mon 23-Feb-09 12:49:53

It'snice and not considered down market here at all

seeker Mon 23-Feb-09 12:49:59

Honestly, Thalia IS pronounced with the Th sound like this or these or the. It's Greek - one of the Graces.

Spell it differently if you want Ta -lia or any other pronounciation!

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 23-Feb-09 12:54:53

<<Wonders whether Brodiesprime mixes in the sort of uber-posh circles where the Queen is looked down on for being middle class>>

soon2befamilyof4 Mon 23-Feb-09 13:03:33

Seeker - can you spell out exactly how you would say it then? Sorry I just can't work it out. blush

Does everybody think it is ok if we spell it Talia then?

seeker Mon 23-Feb-09 13:11:07

Thay-lee-a. To rhyme (almost) with Failure

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Mon 23-Feb-09 13:24:45

Sorry, seeker, but I'm not convinced.

GorgonsGin Mon 23-Feb-09 13:25:37

agree with seeker. Three Graces "Thalia" is a Greek name and is pronounced with a "th" sound, as in "think". In Greek, they use the Greek letter theta which is pronounces with a "th" sound.

Talia would be easier if you want a hard T sound.

Khara Mon 23-Feb-09 13:25:49

My dh has an aunt Thalia and she pronounces it with a "thay" not "tay" iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now