Talk

Advanced search

Theoretically...Bear. Would you?

(82 Posts)
cupofteaplease Fri 20-Feb-09 22:47:07

Ok, so this is VERY theoretical...

Dh and I have decided to try for another baby in 2 years time. So a long way off. We have 2 dds.

But IF we were to have a ds next time, we both love the name Bear. We know an adult Bear and both really love it.

But would you? Could you? Opinions please!

HairyMuff Fri 20-Feb-09 22:48:27

Only if your surname is Arse or Bum for comedy value.
Other than that leave well alone.

cupofteaplease Fri 20-Feb-09 22:50:43

Really?? You hate it that much?!

LynetteScavo Fri 20-Feb-09 22:51:10

I wouldn't, but I think you should.

LOL @ trying for a baby in 2 years time. All my DC's were spur of the moment babies!

HairyMuff Fri 20-Feb-09 22:52:28

Its just like a pretend name, like a cutie nickname you might call your 3 year old, then it sticks and you end up being called it as a grown man and wish everyone wouldn't.

ShowOfHands Fri 20-Feb-09 22:52:57

I like it. Would you consider Edward and then Bear as the nickname?

Heated Fri 20-Feb-09 22:53:24

As a middle name only

I'm sure this name thread has been done before with some evilly funny MN suggestions

Ashantai Fri 20-Feb-09 22:53:43

You mean like Bear Grylls or whatever his name is? Also makes me think of Pooh, sorry grin

Thunderduck Fri 20-Feb-09 22:54:45

No, absolutely not.

HairyMuff Fri 20-Feb-09 22:54:47

YEs this thread has been done before and it degenerated into general piss taking I think.

dragonbutter Fri 20-Feb-09 22:54:50

Theoretically, yes i would use it.

Leo9 Fri 20-Feb-09 22:57:17

oo yes why not? He will 'bear' the teasing and the bullying and the jolly fun japeries of 'bear bum' etc all through his schooldays! It will do great things for his strength of character! How he will thank you!! grin

Clary Fri 20-Feb-09 23:00:12

This is actually my DD's nickname (after the TV show Bear in the Big Blue House which she loved as a littley). DS1' coined it and I use it all the time (she's almost 8 blush).

Not sure what people think - do they think it's her name? Would be a bit out-there for a girl but for a boy - Bear Grylls? I don't think I would, on balance.

chisigirl Fri 20-Feb-09 23:01:20

It's actually a fairly common family name amongst native people in Canada (Cree).

not sure i'd use it as a first name in the UK, though!

cupofteaplease Fri 20-Feb-09 23:04:48

Oh crikey- I never thought it would be such a provocative name! My dds' childminder is married to a man named Bear, and he is very much a normal, masculine guy, and it really suits him (although I belive he is Christened Bartholemew.) I really love it! Think it a strong, intersting name!

As for the comment on trying in 2 years' time- I am just qualifying as a primary school teacher so it would not be practical to have another baby during the next 2 years. Although if an accident happened...grin

Spaceman Fri 20-Feb-09 23:09:02

Sorry, I know crazy names are the done thing nowadays, but this one really takes the biscuit. Still PMSL!

I can see it working in Canada, but on the streets of Clapham is another thing...

Califrau Fri 20-Feb-09 23:10:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cupofteaplease Fri 20-Feb-09 23:11:09

Oh gosh Spaceman- I think I've really underestimated the opinions we would receive on this name!blush

Spaceman Fri 20-Feb-09 23:18:35

Well, I suppose if you ask the question... We didn't tell anyone the names of our children until they were born just because everyone has an opinion and it is all very subjective. I'm very glad we didn't either as the look on my dad's face when we announced my DD's name would've put me off using it. It's not that unusual though.

Wonderstuff Fri 20-Feb-09 23:31:09

I have a friend who is bear, but it isn't her name, her parents used it as a nickname and it stuck, i think that it started because she was premie and was quite hairy, so reminded them of a bear. I think it's nice.

Spaceman Fri 20-Feb-09 23:33:37

It's nice as a nickname. A term of affection between loved ones. I wouldn't like to rock up to an interview and announce it in front of a panel of potential employers though.

lolianja Sat 21-Feb-09 00:56:57

I'm afraid it brought an enormous grin to my face - made me think of that daft CBBC show starring a Barney Harwood and small blue puppet called Nev, referred to in intensely comedic anger by a gruff middle-aged panto villain character as "BEEEAARRR!"

As crazy names go though, it isn't so bad. That is to say it's probably a lot worse on paper but when I contemplate it for a moment it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Having said that, I personally couldn't recommend it. Anybody who went to my school called Bear would have got no end of grief from the moment they stepped in aged 11 to the second they exited the gates at the end of the final summer term.

MintChocAddict Sat 21-Feb-09 01:10:53

LOL @ Califrau

Quattrocento Sat 21-Feb-09 01:11:10

Oh yes, Bear. The thread has been done before. It was truly hysterical.

If your surname isn't Bear-appropriate, you might consider changing it by deedpoll to:

Cheek
Necessities
Knucklefighting
Faced

Mind you, if you are going to go in for a quick family namechange, then it works better as a surname. Then you could have lots of fun with an exciting first name to go with bear

Like Rupert, or Grizzly or Polar or something.

mrswoolf Sat 21-Feb-09 02:42:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now