Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jenk?

(24 Posts)
aturkeyisjustforchristmas Fri 12-Dec-08 16:11:37

There's a little boy called this at my dd's toddler group, i've never heard of it before, it's the first name i've heard that i cannot get used to as a name. Can someone enlighten me, is it a name?! Just googled it and came across the Urban Dictionary it's street slang meanings aren't the best... especially no.2 shock

Nancy66 Fri 12-Dec-08 16:45:47

Not heard of it - sounds too much like Junk -is he British?

MerryChristmasPANDAGHappy09 Fri 12-Dec-08 16:46:40

is Turkish I think. Friend of mine has a BIL called Jenk.

RumMum Fri 12-Dec-08 17:05:04

reminds me of Jenk1..... smile

aturkeyisjustforchristmas Fri 12-Dec-08 17:55:07

Yes he's British. Is it Turkish? Do babyname sites/books not like including Turkish names as i couldn't find it anywhere.. My dd's name is also Turkish and i have never seen her name in a baby name book either, how strange.

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Dec-08 17:56:48

Cenk. (Pronounced 'Jenk'). It is a Turkish name.

It means "Battle".

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Dec-08 17:57:51

You probably don't find some Turkish names in baby websites because you know them as written slightly differently, for easier pronunciation in UK.

aturkeyisjustforchristmas Fri 12-Dec-08 18:02:56

This little boys name is definitely spelt Jenk, maybe it's a variation of Cenk then who knows!

maretta Fri 12-Dec-08 18:05:42

I had Welsh ancestors called Jenkin - nor sure I've spelt that right. They were always called Jenk or Jink.

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Dec-08 18:08:53

There is no variation of Turkish names (yet). Maybe there will be such variants in the future, if these Anglicised spellings preferred by current generation living abroad stick. I heard of some Turks in UK spelling Cenk as "Jenk" in order to save their DC a lifetime of trouble.

walkingprimrose Fri 12-Dec-08 18:19:13

oooh this name brings back wonderful memories... I once had a holiday romance / fling with a turkish man called Cenk pronounced Jenk... he was gorgeous, a singer in a band with long hair... wrote a me a song called Yellow Moon...Sigh...smile

robbiesbiggestfan Fri 12-Dec-08 20:06:56

That urban dictionary is hilarious!

artichokes Fri 12-Dec-08 20:09:00

I know a couple of Turkish Cenk's. I like it.

Maybe his parent's gave him a phonetic spelling to avoid confusion, or maybe the nursery staff miss spell it.

What is your DD's Turkish name OP?

ChristmasFairySantAsSLut Fri 12-Dec-08 20:21:37

I know a Jenkin and plenty of Jens, etc...but never heard of Jenk....however it might be turkish...who knows....

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Dec-08 20:25:39

artichokes - Did you choose a Turkish middle name for DD in the end? I'm curious smile

We are now looking for a Turkish boy's name, and it is proving exceedingly difficult. At least to European ears, there are many pretty Turkish girls' names, but boys' names are another matter altogether!

artichokes Fri 12-Dec-08 21:47:15

I still haven't had DD Cote. I am overdue. I was hoping she would come tonight but its not looking promising.

We have not settled on a name yet. I think she will have a Turkish middle name smile.

When is your little boy due? I saw your thread about Turkish boys names a while back. There were some lovely ones. Do you have a shortlist?

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Dec-08 22:15:31

Oh I have lots of time. Still disappointed that namehunting isn't going anywhere, though. Our shortlist is very short: Ates (Atesh). It's OK but I'm not crazy about it.

Good luck with the birth smile

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Dec-08 22:20:35

By the way, re Cenk/Jenk. People on this thread might (?) be interested to learn that:

Cenk (Jenk) = War
Cengiz (Ghengis) = Warrior
Cengiz Han (Ghengis Khan) = Warrior King
[His name was Timucin (Timouchin)]

aturkeyisjustforchristmas Fri 12-Dec-08 22:29:35

Artichokes, hope your baby arrives soon, going overdue sucks my dd arrived 13 days late... her name is Alara btw smile

CoteDAzur i have never found a meaning on the internet or in a book for my dd's name, a friends husband who is Turkish told me it means red ornament or decoration, would you say the same?

CoteDAzur Fri 12-Dec-08 22:51:04

Alara is a pretty name. Pronounced with emphasis on the middle A.

The vast majority of Turkish names have meanings and are actual words that we still use in everyday language. Alara isn't one of them.

I just looked it up and Turkish name websites all say it means "red ornament". Possible, as "Al" does indeed mean "red", but I am slightly suspicious that all websites say the same thing in the same words, as if one may have made it up and others copied it.

It is the name of a river near Alanya, I think, and an old Ottoman inn is also called Alara Han.

ChristmasFairySantAsSLut Sat 13-Dec-08 13:38:43

I know a girl that is halfturkish and her name is Aline...that is a pretty name and I am sure she said it was turkish...

MerryChristmasPANDAGHappy09 Sun 14-Dec-08 13:15:50

ah. I'd only heard it pronounced not spelled. smile

CoteDAzur Mon 15-Dec-08 17:11:19

Aline is not a Turkish name. It is a French name. Anyone remember the (very old) song?

ChristmasFairySantAsSLut Wed 17-Dec-08 09:39:42

Well, that was what she said....and who was I to disagree grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now