Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone else struggle through the whole pregnancy to find a name? ... What happened when baby was born?

(25 Posts)
EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Sat 01-Nov-08 16:02:38

Did it just come to you?
Or did a name you had like (but not loved) just seem to fit?

I've known im having a daughter for 15 weeks now, she is due in 8 weeks and I can't find a name I like, its stressing me out so much.

I'm worried I'll still be like this when she is born and the poor lamb won't have a name ever!!

needmorecoffee Sat 01-Nov-08 16:05:56

with number 3 I couldn't think of a name. Even after he was born. 2 weeks later one popped into my head.

janeite Sat 01-Nov-08 16:06:02

DD2 was on her way out, in the birthing pool, before we finally agreed on a name for her. We had agreed on boys' names for both children but really couldn't agree on girls' names; both of them turned out to be girls. Don't worry; even if you can't decide until she's born, you'll be able to decide on something when you see her!

TheBlonde Sat 01-Nov-08 16:08:10

We didn't find out the sex of DC2
When she was born it took us a full 4 weeks to choose a name

Scotia Sat 01-Nov-08 16:08:45

My dd4 was nameless for 5 days, then I was just looking at her one morning and 'Rhona' just came to me. It suited her perfectly then and still does now, 18 years on.

Don't worry, you'll find a name you love - sometimes you need to see the baby first before a name just 'fits'. smile

EnchantedWithEdwardCullen Sat 01-Nov-08 16:10:38

I had both my sons names from pretty much the start! DS1s name was decided before he was concieved and as soon as I read DS2s name and found out he was a boy I was smitten with it.

But Ive read book upon book, trawled through threads, decided on names that I now hate!!

Theres 1 name I keep coming back to but my mum doesn't like it, and even though I know that shouldn't affect my descision it puts a damper on it.

I feel bad!

misdee Sat 01-Nov-08 16:10:44

we cannot find a name we both love so far for dd4. am hoping she comes out and a name suits her iykwim.

Scotia Sat 01-Nov-08 16:11:49

TheBlonde, 4 weeks shock! We have to register the birth within 21 days in Scotland and I do know people who have waited as long as they could before deciding on names.

MrsMattie Sat 01-Nov-08 16:16:15

We had a few names we liked during my first pregnancy, but didn't decide on anything until after DS was born. Then suddenly all the names we had but one seemed ridiculous. Only that one name fitted.

This time, we have barely discussed it. I'm due in 4 weeks time and we haven't a clue what this sprog will be called grin. We've decided we'll look at him/her and make our minds up...

Wheelybug Sat 01-Nov-08 16:20:11

With dd we had decided on a name (at about 35 weeks) which we then decided didn't work with our surname. We then had no agreement on names - dd had to come out early and we still hadn't decided on a name (actually had a boy's name but no girls name) but in my drug filled stupour (3 days of failed induction ending in middle of night c-sec so wasn't entirely sane at this point) I insisted we named her the minute she was born so I said we could call her what DH had wanted to call her all along which I was ok with but didn't love.

However, the name has always suited her she couldn't be called anything else and now I love it because it is her !

melmamof3 Sat 01-Nov-08 16:32:16

Both my ds1 and 2 had names chosed before they were born, but me and dh cant decide on a name for our ds3, due in 4 weeks, and its causing arguements. DS2 was going to be nathan all the way through my pg though, but when he was born, didnt look like a Nathan, so was called Daniel. Quite annoyed my friend as she had had a card made especially for Nathan blush

We are just waiting until he is born, and then will decide when we meet him.

BabiesEverywhere Sat 01-Nov-08 16:57:07

My DS was written as 'Baby Boy SURNAME' on all our paperwork. We only decided on a name on morning of day three as we were about to be discharged out of hospital.

I loved him from the first moment, not having a name didn't seem to matter

dinkymum Sun 02-Nov-08 22:22:22

I have this exact same problem! found a name for DD pretty early but this time with our DS due in Feb we're completely stuck! lol

jlh69 Sun 02-Nov-08 22:36:14

Took 2 weeks to name DD after she was born. She was a month early but even if she hadn't been I doubt whether we would have had a name.
We have a name if the next one (25 wks pg) is a boy but still no clue if another girl. Hoping it will suddenly come to me...

TinkerBellesMum Sun 02-Nov-08 22:40:29

We were worried we were going to have a baby the other week with no name and agreed on one in desperation more than anything! Fortunately she's hanging on so we have a bit more time. We had a shortlist when Tink was born but hadn't agreed on the name, although his sons and my brothers children had all agreed with my favourite the day before she was born grin

My HV was telling me there is a baby on her books who's parents are getting letters from the registrar (post 42 day limit) because they've not named their baby yet!

RomanCandleQueen Sun 02-Nov-08 22:49:29

DS1 was named before he was born (we had agreed Boy and Girl name before conception!!) but with DS2 it was really difficult. The original Girl name still stands, but when we discovered he would be a boy we were stumped. Both of us drew up name lists and then we crossed off names we didn't like from each others list. Then we combined names to see what they looked like as first names, middle names and fitting with surname. Finally got down to short list of 3 names, but none of which we really loved!
DS2 was born, and it took us about a day to bite the bullet and just give him all the names on the shortlist! Now we love his name - it IS him!!
I'm still waiting for my girl baby so I can use the name we've had waiting for 5 years!

sheilatakeabow Sun 02-Nov-08 22:51:25

We had a name on DH's list, not mine, that, once here, DS just seemed to suit. And still does

Sazisi Sun 02-Nov-08 22:54:27

I/we never had a name chosen until after the birth; we had short lists but never even chose anything on them hmm
DD1, I just knew she was an Isabel the moment I laid eyes on her
the other two were rather more tricky. As was finding names DH and I both liked hmm

SortingSOLOsHat Sun 02-Nov-08 22:54:47

We knew we were having a Dd from 20 weeks and we didn't/couldn't name her until she was 20 days old. I still don't know if she has the right name though and she's nearly 2yo.

Tidgypuds Sun 02-Nov-08 23:02:12

Couldnt decide with my DS, we had a very short,short list and when the MW asked us if we had a name for him.
We told her the two names we couldnt decide on. When she annouced that her dog was called one of the names we immediatley choose the other name grin

My ExDH suggested my DDs name the last day before I was due to go into hospital and to be honest I loved it straight away...Its a good job as there wasnt one other name I liked for her.

UmSami Sun 02-Nov-08 23:07:31

DS1 had 2 possible names, in post delivery haze DH said he looks like a Sami, I was too knackered to argue...he really suits his name though and I love it!
Expected DD is due to be induced tomorrow...we still are not settled on a name...I'm stressed too...have a shortlist of 3 but none seem quite right. IL's are already calling her by 1 of the 3 angry...I'll tell you what happens as soon as am able!

tillyblue Sun 02-Nov-08 23:14:21

With DS1 we both had a certain name in mind all the way through my pg, and we always refeerred to him as such.
But then he popped out and looked NOTHING like that name!It was a shock.
His new name does suit him and I couldnt imagine any other now!
Sometimes they just 'look' a like a Trevor or Talullah when you meet them!

Aefondkiss Sun 02-Nov-08 23:37:49

both times... with dd we had one name in mind, girl or boy... but when dd was born we just didn't feel it was right, so we took over a day to decide, felt the pressure mounting from other people too... so we hadn't even considered her name until after she was born... her name is unusual, seldom heard outside of Ireland.

with ds we looked in books, said what we liked and then just waited, when he was born we still didn't have an idea what he was going to be called, dh and I just chatted (relaxed easy-ish birth) and eventually had a look through some books again, but at least ds was named that day.

both children have celtic names - one Irish and one Scottish (ds has a Pictish middle name, that we both loved but we just weren't confident about making it his first name) still love his middle name and wish we had gone for it. Dh is Irish so we had narrowed it down to choosing Scottish/Irish names.

LadyOfRoffle Sun 02-Nov-08 23:48:45

We didn't think much of names before DS2 was born, you just sort of know when a name fits, it may not even be on your list! Took me a week with DS2 and I am glad we took the time, with both of them.

fizzpops Mon 03-Nov-08 09:51:43

BabiesEverywhere, that is similar to us with our DD although I think it only took two days to decide (I had decided but I had to wait for my DH to come to the same conclusion!).

We still had people asking 'Haven't you named that baby yet?'

If we had known we were having a girl I don't think it would have been any easier to be honest. It felt right to meet her first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now