Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would the meaning of a name put you off if you otherwise liked it?

(70 Posts)
mrsgboring Wed 29-Oct-08 10:14:11

We are thinking quite seriously about the name Edmund, but a bit dismayed it means "Guardian of Riches" which isn't quite our Grauniad-reading woolly lefty liberal cup of tea. Would this put you off?

I'm thinking people don't necessarily know names' meanings anyway - and DH's name means "warlike" which is way worse but at the same time, it's a fly in the ointment..... <angsty sigh>

Usual proviso - if by any chance you know me IRL, our name choices are top secret, please keep it to yourself. grin

nailpolish Wed 29-Oct-08 10:16:19

no wouldnt bother me one jot

savoycabbage Wed 29-Oct-08 10:16:24

No. It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't an obvious meaning that everyone knew.

wessexghoul Wed 29-Oct-08 10:17:33

I found several possible meanings of dd2's name, one of which was 'cowshed'. Still went with it though.

nickytwooootimes Wed 29-Oct-08 10:18:08

Well, as one Grauniad reader to the next, the meaning seems fine to me. Riches could refer to any kind of riches, not just material. ANd of course, the beloved publuication itself is mentioned!

KristinaM Wed 29-Oct-08 10:18:43

no. and edmund is a fab name

eddie = great baby/toddler name

ed = cool for teens

edmund = proper grown up name for professor of mathematics

perfect

LynetteScavo Wed 29-Oct-08 10:19:00

Sadly, yes.

One of the reasons we did't name DD Claudia.

mrsgboring Wed 29-Oct-08 10:21:28

nickytwotimes, thank you for pointing that out. I suppose cos it's a bit of a public school name, I missed other interpretations of "riches" (and I really shouldn't since DH is public schoolest of the public school and lovely with it)

GooseyLoosey Wed 29-Oct-08 10:24:37

Yes, if it was particularly ill starred. Have to say that meaning would not put me off at all. It is a good, ancient name and has a feeling of strength about it to me.

GooseyLoosey Wed 29-Oct-08 10:28:32

Should also point out that whilst "mund" means guardian or protector and "ed" refers to wealth, it is not entirely clear whether the meaning refers to a protector of wealth or a wealthy protector. Also, wealth in a saxon context, would not tend to be sacks of gold sitting around but livestock and things in the home - so perhaps you could view the meaning as a protector of home.

Penthesileia Wed 29-Oct-08 10:33:42

Edmund is a lovely name (caution though: Edmund Blackadder!).

On the flip side, I was desperate to name DD Allegra (DH is Italian). It means cheerful or lively (also the name Byron [we were going through a Byronic phase...] gave his illegitimate daughter). But DH refused: "What if she's an unhappy person? It would be strange to introduce yourself in Italy as 'cheerful' if you're not." So we didn't name her that.

Of course, she's now the smiliest, happiest little soul ever. Shucks.

KristinaM Wed 29-Oct-08 10:40:30

oh i also love Allegra

usually I HATE most of the names on these threads. now want another baby......

mrsgboring Wed 29-Oct-08 10:50:13

Goosey, that is fabulous. Thank you.

Penthesileia, I'm rather partial to old Edmund Blackadder so don't mind too much. A colleague of DH's named his baby Edmund years ago, and you're right we did think hmm Edmund Blackadder, but actually it's been off the telly for a while now, anyway, so unlikely to be a concern in the playground.

I know what you mean about Allegra. We are probably going with Felicity for a girl, but I know it will doubtless the centre of some teenage strops/blaming.

Kathyis6incheshigh Wed 29-Oct-08 10:53:56

My brother is Edmund and the name dictionary we had said it meant 'happy protection' (I suppose the ed- bit can mean wealth or happiness?)

In principle I do like to take the meaning into account, but in this case it wouldn't bother me. And btw, my brother has always liked being Edmund.

lunamoon2 Wed 29-Oct-08 11:01:08

Yes, sorry.
Edmund was the bad guy in Shakespear's King Lear.
Always remembered Edgar-Good
Edmund-Bad.
Probably the reason why Blackadder was called Edmund as he is historically the bad guy.
having said all that if you like the name then go for it! .

FanjoForTheHellishMammaries Wed 29-Oct-08 11:18:23

Guardian of riches is not that bad...when I opened the thread I expected it to mean "son of satan" or something! smile

LuLuBai Wed 29-Oct-08 11:20:44

I am affected by names' meanings - but I don't find the meaning of Edmund off putting. I like the name. Think you should stick with it.

I was also keen on Allegra when pg with DD but DH vetoed it. We gave her a Spanish name meaning dove and sods law she is a total little livewire - anything but the pure and gentle dove! Allegra would have been much more appropriate.

I also love Delilah as a name, but I struggle with it as she was such a nasty piece of work. Didn't betray Samson for love or honour or anything that could at all be construed as noble - she betrayed him for money!

UmMwahahahaaaaa Wed 29-Oct-08 11:22:04

yes, i think so.
I like Calvin, but it means 'bald' grin

Vronsky Wed 29-Oct-08 11:44:04

Message withdrawn

mrsgboring Wed 29-Oct-08 13:55:20

Lunamoon2, the Lear connection was also a consideration, but I've always found it hard to believe that Edmund could be the bad guy and Edgar the good - they sound the other way round to me. And I don't immediately associate it - Regan OTOH which I've seen suggested on names threads a couple of times, is pure Lear to me and I could never do it.

grin at ungazellelike Tabitha, Vronsky. Of course there's plenty of time for her to discover her inner gazelle.

teafortwo Wed 29-Oct-08 14:04:44

Maybe in his case riches = the riches of life.

I once taught a dear little boy called Eddie (Edmund). He REALLY is/was a perfectly lovely boy who still fills my heart with the riches of life! And kindly adopted my pet rabbit when I emmigrated!

IMHO - it is a beautiful name - go for it!!!!

ShowOfHands Wed 29-Oct-08 14:05:10

My dd's name means 'mighty in battle' which used to worry me as a pinko liberal pacifist. And it truly is a self-fulfilling prophecy as my PFB is built like a tank.

LuLuBai Wed 29-Oct-08 14:05:20

I'm with you mrsgboring - Edmund always sounded like he should be the good one in Lear to me too. Edgar has a harsher sound to it. (Then there are the Edgars in Tales of the City...)

I reckon they chose Edmund for Blackadder because it has a timeless quality and worked whatever period of British history they placed him in.

sleepycatonabroomstick Wed 29-Oct-08 14:06:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

teafortwo Wed 29-Oct-08 14:10:32

Oh yes yes yes - you should call him Edmund simply because of the genius of Blackadder alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now