Talk

Advanced search

I love the name Silke

(26 Posts)
CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 26-Oct-08 22:15:37

I know I could never use it because I'm not in Germany and it wouldn't really translate well over here. But I still think it's lovely and sophisicated. smile

AnneUumellmahaye Sun 26-Oct-08 22:16:59

And I would have liked Felicia but it was stolen by Skoda

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 26-Oct-08 22:19:17

I hate it when names are stolen like that. I know that's happened to me too but I can't remember what name it was.

pinkbubble Sun 26-Oct-08 22:22:17

I knew a child in England called "Silka" It suited her perfectly. Very slight blonde whispy hair! It would so not suit any of my DDs! LOL

Moomin Sun 26-Oct-08 22:23:14

reminds me of a guinea pig. sorry

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 26-Oct-08 22:24:22

If DP, DD and I are anything to go by, other dcs will be quite slight but with dark hair. Not sure if it would even suit, I just love the sound of it. Interesting that you've heard a variant of it in the uk though.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 26-Oct-08 22:24:45

Good point Moomin grin

BloodshotEyeballsintheScarySky Sun 26-Oct-08 22:25:21

Reminds me of the little fairy in the Faraway Tree stories, although she was Silky. All blonde and fluffy hair.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 26-Oct-08 22:28:39

Oh I love the Faraway Tree stories. I'll have to buy them for DD when she's older smile

filigreebet Sun 26-Oct-08 22:31:55

I think so, but how is is pronounced? blush

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Sun 26-Oct-08 22:34:54

It's like Silk-uh. It's not exactly an 'a' sound but close. That's why I think it wouldn't translate to the UK, as we don't pronounce 'e' like that. The S is also somewhere between an s and a z.

annasmami Mon 27-Oct-08 08:52:02

One of my best (German) friends is Silke - she has long dark brown hair smile.

I think it's a lovely name and would fine in English. In German it's pronounced Sil-ke with the e at the end pronounced like the beginning of 'end' if that makes sense.

LuLuBai Mon 27-Oct-08 08:55:33

I had a friend called Silke when I was a child. I think at least one of her parents was American. Neither were German (that I can remember). We all used to pronounce it Silky although her parents prounounced it more like Silk-eh. She had glossy dark hair and the name suited her perfectly.

Liffey Mon 27-Oct-08 13:11:56

I like Silke too. I think it is a German nn for Sylvia.

Cheesesarnie Mon 27-Oct-08 13:16:38

makes me think of magic faraway tree too.aw lovely

nuthacuppatea Thu 30-Oct-08 08:08:32

Great name!I thought of the Faraway tree too! Ha ha!

piratecat Thu 30-Oct-08 08:27:09

i like this name too, there is also a german (can't remember it atm) when shortened it is Sigi, with the same emphasis being that the S is between a S and a Z.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Thu 30-Oct-08 08:40:27

Just looked it up and it means the blind one hmm The meaning is not as pretty as the name!

Cies Thu 30-Oct-08 08:54:42

I heard someone calling in to Radio 2 the other day who was called Silke. It is a beautiful name IMO.

LuLuBai Thu 30-Oct-08 10:35:25

I've met a couple of people called Sigi - short for Siegfried.

piratecat Thu 30-Oct-08 11:31:48

i was thinking of the female of Sigi, i think it's Sigelda? Is Siegfried a male or female name?

ib Thu 30-Oct-08 11:35:22

I know a Silke. She's an artist and works with silk, so suits her beautifully. She is of German descent though.

Siegfried is male, my FIL is called Siegfried (or Friegsieg as a friend of my mums keep calling him)

You are maybe thinking of Sieglinde? That would be the feminine version.

I have a friend called Silke, she is lovely, very petite with glossy brown hair. It was quite popular in Germany about 40 years ago.

CharCharBaGOOOOOOORE Thu 30-Oct-08 11:38:40

Is it Sieglinde piratecat? DP hates Silke. So do people think you could get away with it in the UK then?

I don't think that you would find many people who could pronounce it properly, unfortunately. If you were prepared to hear your DD being called Silky then you could go for it.

My mum has been learning German for 15years and has 2 half-German GCs but still cannot pronounce the -e endings like Renate and Silke.

Is your DP German?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now