Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

What d'ya think to Suki?

(75 Posts)
milliemayhem Tue 21-Oct-08 14:43:34

I'm not pregnant or planning to become so for quite a while, hands full with DS at mo, but me and partner have that 'what do you think of ...... for a girl/boy' conversation from time to time, and i always mention Suki or Layla for a girl and Rudy for a boy. Just wondered about other peoples views. I've already got a Finley so would need something to go alongside that. Always nice to be prepared for the occasion!

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Tue 21-Oct-08 15:04:47

Sorry, we've obviously not on the same name wavelength at all. Think Suki sounds like a rather lovely Siamese cat.

MannyMoeAndJack Tue 21-Oct-08 15:08:28

put the kettle on?

My friend's cat was called Suki so the name has feline connotations for me but it is a little different if that's what you're after

Stars22 Tue 21-Oct-08 15:10:02

Sorry dont like the name Suki, Layla is ok. What about Ruby? seeing astho you like Rudy.

hambo Tue 21-Oct-08 15:10:16

Suki sounds a bit like a Ladyboy wink

hanaflower Tue 21-Oct-08 15:11:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gladders Tue 21-Oct-08 15:15:13

I think it could be quite sweet - we had a Suki at school - was short for Susannah.

StayFrostyShiversDownMySpine Tue 21-Oct-08 15:17:13

kerryk Tue 21-Oct-08 15:17:23

i think it sounds a bit pukey grin

wrigglepiggle Tue 21-Oct-08 15:18:09

i know a guy called suki and having known him i'd be reluctant to give the name to my own child, but layla is very sweet!

CoteDAzur Tue 21-Oct-08 15:20:04

Please don't consider Layla if you are not Muslim.

PuppyMonkey Tue 21-Oct-08 15:21:32

I worked with a Suki once a long time ago. she was nice, but got annoyed because everyone pronounced her name "Sucky." hmm

jumpingbeans Tue 21-Oct-08 15:26:21

manyymoandjack, when i saw "put the kettle on", i thought no, thats polly,doh

hanaflower Tue 21-Oct-08 15:27:17

jumpingbeans Tue 21-Oct-08 15:28:46

we'll all have tea!

hatrick Tue 21-Oct-08 16:13:53

Message withdrawn

MannyMoeAndJack Tue 21-Oct-08 16:14:31

ah yes! my nursery rhymes memory is obviously a little rusty - but you knew what I meant!!!!

Rindercella Tue 21-Oct-08 16:20:38

Immediately thought 'cat'

giddly Tue 21-Oct-08 16:23:19

#Why on earth should someone not use Layla if not Muslim CDA? It doesn't have specific religious significant as far as I know (means dark beauty, I think) and is also a Swahili and Hebrew name.

modernart Tue 21-Oct-08 16:25:22

My gran had a Pekingese dog called Suki

ForeverOptimistic Tue 21-Oct-08 16:25:31

I prefer it spelt Sukey.

MrsMattie Tue 21-Oct-08 16:27:41

Not keen on Suki - sounds like a nickname, rather than a 'proper' name.

Rudy is cute for a boy. Layla is nice, but prefer the spelling Leila.

I'm not Muslim and love Leila for a girl.

I'm an atheist, in fact, and have an Elijah. One can have a respect and appreciation of ancient religions and their cultural significance without being religious. not to mention the fact that tons of names have their roots in the old religions. It's quite difficult to get away from that, actually!

CoteDAzur Tue 21-Oct-08 17:03:10

Do you even know what "Swahili" means? hmm Swahili are Muslim. Their language is a mix of Arabic and African languages.

The word "Layla" may have seeped into Hebrew in the millenia that Jews and Arabs have been living side by side but "Layla" is not a name Jewish people give their children.

Personally, I believe in knowing something about a name if you will bestow it on your child. If you don't even know that Layla is a Muslim name, steer clear of it.

mumof2andabit Tue 21-Oct-08 17:03:47

I love Suki and pregnant with no.3 and have yet to find out whether its a girl or a boy. Am keeping the name suki quiet for the mean time as dh is getting fed up with name suggestions!

beaniescreamyb Tue 21-Oct-08 17:04:10

I can't help thinking of Ricky Gervaise and his piece about suki getting water from the well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: