Talk

Advanced search

Struggling

(17 Posts)
ZappetyZog Sat 18-Oct-08 16:15:45

We already have an Elijah and I would like to name this one Zion if it's a boy. DH thinks it is totally 'way out' and the poor kid will be teased.

Is he right?

(We are a mixed race family living in central Lodnon, so it's not like everyone around us are called 'vanilla' English names.)

MatNanPlus Sat 18-Oct-08 16:17:58

nice, also the RL name of the lion in Narnia movie

singersgirl Sat 18-Oct-08 16:20:25

Are you Zionist or Israeli or Jewish? It seems a bit odd to name your child after a political movement/historical name for the Jewish homeland.

singersgirl Sat 18-Oct-08 16:21:35

Sorry, to clarify, I don't much like 'country' names for children like India, and Zion seems potentially a bit politically charged as well.

ZappetyZog Sat 18-Oct-08 16:23:43

No, we're not Jewish. I know Zion has very strong Jewish connotations, but it also has it's own connotations for Christians and Rastafarians (we're not particularly religious, but our families are).

I take your point, though@singersgirl

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Liffey Sat 18-Oct-08 18:10:59

It could be perceived as being just a tiny bit egotistical imo. My son!! The Zionist! Clear a path, stand aside, for, drum roll........... Zion

I couldn't do it myself. I like Gideon though. That would go with Elijah.

I really like Saul. It is so much snappier than Paul but it still has a classic ness that is lovely. Goes with Elijah too.

Natbrum Sun 19-Oct-08 10:15:27

As a primary school teacher, i have seen how children can be quite mean on the playground about eachothers names and maybe Zion may get a little negative attention.

What about Ishmael? I quite like that with Elijah and it's still quite unusual.

rodg82 Sun 19-Oct-08 21:25:04

Lauryn Hills son is called Zion and one of my favourite songs by her is called Zion after him! So for that reason it does get my vote! Although must admit I love the name Ishmael as suggested by natbrum!

BlueChampagne Mon 20-Oct-08 14:05:20

Zadok?

UmMwahahahaaaaa Mon 20-Oct-08 14:18:15

Oh Elijah is lovely. Can see Liffey's point but I like the sound of Zion. I love biblical names (though not religious myself) - Caleb, Ezekial, Zachariah...

As a ex-teacher in comprehensive schools in North London, think it's unlikely your child will be teased for their name in a London school (though they might be stabbed for their mobile phone... wink).

CuppaTeaJanice Mon 20-Oct-08 14:30:46

Is it the sound or meaning of Zion that you like?

seeker Mon 20-Oct-08 14:38:53

Shadrach? Mesach? Abednigo?

Sorry, but I think Zion is a really bad idea - far too politically charged.

Dozymare Mon 20-Oct-08 14:50:00

we know a Zeron.......sounds quite similar to Zion....

moonincancer Mon 20-Oct-08 17:16:14

its 2008, anything goes. 1988 brian, 2008 zion

LuLuBai Mon 20-Oct-08 18:33:17

It's a fabulous name, but I would be a little wary of using it. A friend who had Zion as surname frequently had trouble when visiting muslim countries. She eventually changed her surname.

nooka Mon 20-Oct-08 18:47:14

I think this is an incredibly charged name to give to a child, and could have implications beyond the playground, so no, I thinkyour dh is right. Elijah is fabulous though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now