Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Aneurin. ????

(58 Posts)
2Helenback Fri 17-Oct-08 12:44:41

Dh reckons it's his turn to choose, and wants Aneurin. (3 guesses of his political persuasion!)

Is it: Too obscure? daft as we are not Welsh? Doomed to be always mis-spelt and mis-pronounced?

Not sure I can make the leap of faith.

greenday Fri 17-Oct-08 12:47:14

All the above. And it sounds like a medicine name too, IMO. Sorry.

maynarddelfino Fri 17-Oct-08 12:47:18

Nye is just about bearbale as a nickname, and I appreciate that it is nice to name your baby after someone you admire, but Aneurin??

It reminds me of a fatal aneurism and it also sounds a bit like manure. Nobody will pronounce it right and those that do will assume your son is a radical lefty. What if he does not share your partner's poltical views?

Bleedodgy Fri 17-Oct-08 12:49:35

It sounds like a pile cream.

stopthelights Fri 17-Oct-08 12:57:10

I have always loved the name Aneurin.

georgiemum Fri 17-Oct-08 12:58:28

Anurism?

Flightattendant2 Fri 17-Oct-08 13:01:55

My friend's son is named this. He is Nye for short.

He's lovely smile

It looks funny written down but sounds nice.

Zazette Fri 17-Oct-08 13:03:33

Maynarddelfino's and georgiemum's posts show that you are probably right to fear that it will always be mis-pronounced. Because it would only sound like manure or aneurism if it was being mis-pronounced.

It should be pronounced A - nye -rin (remember Nye Bevan, ladies) or something a bit like A - nay -rin, depending on Welsh accent.

I think it's lovely, but probably doomed outside Wales. I am endlessly amazed by how difficult a lot of English people find it to pronounce Welsh names.

georgiemum Fri 17-Oct-08 13:08:48

Ahhhh, as in Bevin? Child may find it tricky as other people won't be able to spell it or pronounce it.

singersgirl Fri 17-Oct-08 13:12:03

I know it's a mispronunciation, but it is spelt so similarly to aneurism that in English it just doesn't look good. I don't speak Welsh, so while I know how to pronounce the name, that's not what I think immediately when I see it.

A - ny - rin sounds a bit like a cross between an aspirin and annihilation.

If you're not Welsh and not living in Wales I would really think thrice or even four times.

TheRedQueen Fri 17-Oct-08 13:23:44

I think it's great!

MadreInglese Fri 17-Oct-08 13:26:07

Makes me think straight away of aneurism (sorry)

How do you pronounce it?

stroppyknickers Fri 17-Oct-08 13:27:14

Oh, I decided to use this last time if we ever have another baby. It's sooo fab, esp Nye as a nickname (sounds like Niles, which I lurve) Do it, noone will say anything to your face once he's here. grin

DarrellRivers Fri 17-Oct-08 13:28:15

Like it

verylapsedrunner Fri 17-Oct-08 13:31:53

No

2Helenback Fri 17-Oct-08 13:32:12

Darrell Rivers. Was that the name of the chief character in Mallory Towers? I loved those books.

HairyToedHobbit Fri 17-Oct-08 13:35:52

I like it but wouldn't have considered it for DS who was born in Wales. It was my Welsh speaking great great grandfather's name and he was around when it was far more common. It was mis-spelt in the 1901 census and when he was a boy he was down in the census as Henry!

I think it might be ok for a middle name but would your DH consider Keir or Karl or Trotsky?? wink grin

MadreInglese Fri 17-Oct-08 13:38:24

is it like anne-eye-rinn?

Liffey Fri 17-Oct-08 16:21:34

Aneurism.

JodieO Fri 17-Oct-08 16:23:01

When I saw the title I thought it sounded like a headache tablet.

BalloonSlayer Fri 17-Oct-08 16:39:37

Love it love it love it!!!

I wanted it for both DSes. DH said no because we are not welsh.

Also love Nye just as much.

We were watching a programme last week about Aneurin Bevan and the creation of the NHS and I was still sulking and saying: I think that would have been a brilliant name.

PG and on holiday in Wales last year and I kept thinking, hmm, if the baby comes early maybe I can get my way. hmm

MrsMattie Fri 17-Oct-08 16:42:13

Awful. Anadin/Aneurism.

RubyRioja Fri 17-Oct-08 16:46:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubyRioja Fri 17-Oct-08 16:47:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LuLuBai Fri 17-Oct-08 16:48:29

Makes me think of Anakin Skywalker.

(RubyRioja - Really? 33??)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: