Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alexander.....or not

(20 Posts)
moonincancer Fri 17-Oct-08 09:55:47

my husband wants to name our boy (edd 19/10) Alexander after him. there are 2 Alexs in my daughters class, one looks like he has just hatched and the other always has chapped lips. the only other Alex i know is a dope smoking loser. i dont like this name but O/H 100% wants to call him Alex. should i call him alex and please his par or dig in my heels?

MoHayder Fri 17-Oct-08 10:12:39

As you get older, its so hard choosing a name that you both like, that doesn't have connotations for one of you. You could use it as a middle name? Or you could call him alexander, but then shorten it for everyday use, i.e sandy.

Bubbaluv Fri 17-Oct-08 10:14:44

Alexi? Sascha? Axel?

cutekids Fri 17-Oct-08 10:17:13

why don't you just chose something that you both definately like? don't think i could've handled not liking my own childrens' names!

Ashantai Fri 17-Oct-08 15:41:51

Luckily for me, my other half loved the name Alex as much as me, and it was my turn to name the baby grin

That said, i dont think its really fair if you really hate the name. Just catching up with Desperate Housewives and laughing at how Susan hated the name Maynard for her baby!grin She did give in because it had sentimental reasons for her hubby, but damn...Maynard!shockgrin

OrmIrian Fri 17-Oct-08 15:54:06

Well I like Alex as that is my eldest boys name. I must admit I don't know any others so it helps.

Bear in mind that the name will grow to fit the child, not the other way round. In the end it will just be your son's name. But if you really really don't like it I think you have to stand your ground.

Liffey Fri 17-Oct-08 16:16:47

I think it's so classic, like Adam, James or Jack that I wouldn't associate anything to it iykwim. I know a few, but I don't remember them when I meet another Alex.

I like Sandy for a boy!

hanaflower Fri 17-Oct-08 16:18:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thirtysomething Fri 17-Oct-08 16:20:12

it's a cool name, good at any age and pretty class-less too. can't go wrong with the name but as others say if you don't like it at all go with something you both like!

singersgirl Fri 17-Oct-08 16:30:18

I think Alexander is a great name. I know Alexes, Sandys, Alecs and Xanders. Sasha is a great abbreviation but very Slavic.

pageturner Fri 17-Oct-08 16:54:10

I LOVE this name - that's why it's DS1's. smile But I don't think you should have it if you really hate it. We took 'turns' choosing, but the other did have a right of veto if they hated it.

sept99 Fri 17-Oct-08 17:37:01

You HAVE to like your DS's first name otherwise you will be down at the Registrar of Births a few months and a lot of tears after registration asking to change it. PLEASE use it as a middle name in honour of your DH and come to some agreement on another name that you both like. Good luck. xxx

sept99 Fri 17-Oct-08 17:38:24

That should read 'PLEASE use ALEXANDER as a middle name ...'

CuppaTeaJanice Fri 17-Oct-08 17:44:52

Won't it be confusing with DH and DS having the same name?

Nice to use names with a family link but in the same household is going to end up with him being called 'junior' or similar!

littlewhitebull Sun 19-Oct-08 21:25:08

Well Alexander was my partner's choice for our son and I was fairly easily persuaded despite having an ex-partner of the same name and various other associations with it.

Once he was born none of it mattered. IME if it's your son's name you won't think of all those other people called Alex. If you like it you like it, you don't you don't.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hunkermunker Sun 19-Oct-08 21:30:23

I love the name Alexander, but no, no, no to naming after your DH as a first name. Lack of imagination a-go-go. Middle name all the way.

AbbeyA Sun 19-Oct-08 21:45:12

A lovely name.

ginseng Sun 19-Oct-08 22:18:40

I love the name, but if i had as many negatives about a name i wouldnt want to use it, you could have it as a second name? Happy Due Date! but you really do have to be happy with the name as its forever.

OrmIrian Mon 20-Oct-08 08:08:27

tmmj - I just read your comment to my Alexander. He totally agreed grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now