Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alfie???

(16 Posts)
melmamof3 Mon 13-Oct-08 20:41:58

Due ds3 in 6 weeks, and me and dh have managed to agree on Alfie. However, is it too popular a name? Not into popular names.

nolongeraworriedmummy Mon 13-Oct-08 20:42:58

I like the name Alfie, there is only one Alfie that I know personally but it is a popular name.

WinkyWinkola Mon 13-Oct-08 20:46:59

It's everywhere. It's cute though.

Why not use Alfred and then you can call him all sorts like Alfie, Fred, Freddie, Alf etc.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 13-Oct-08 20:50:07

It is very "widely used" in our area (Midlands) but I do like it. Our dd has a kind of feminine equivalent but we have given her the "full" version so she can change from the cute version when she is older, as WW suggests.

mustsleep Mon 13-Oct-08 20:53:13

i likeitonly know one kids called it too grin

AbstractMouse Mon 13-Oct-08 20:54:37

I think it is pretty common, but not overly so. I have only heard of two in this area, the child who lives above me. One in Dd's nursery class. So not so ubiquitous you would want to avoid, bugger it anyway, if you like it use it.

melmamof3 Mon 13-Oct-08 20:55:16

Its either Alfie, or nothing. I'm not a fan of Alfred, or Freddie.

Not heard of any kids called it here (Tyne & Wear) but then again, out of the new baby loop for a while.

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 13-Oct-08 20:58:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sidge Mon 13-Oct-08 21:11:38

I know loads of Alfies, it's very popular round here.

I also think it's a cute name, which is fine when he's 2 but not so good when he's 42...

Cadelaide Mon 13-Oct-08 21:14:22

Oooh no, far too "now".

Tomorrow's Jason/Darren/etcetc

nooka Mon 13-Oct-08 21:14:40

Full name or nothing for me. I think diminutives as given names is a bit pants I am afraid. If you don't like the full version, then choose something else. Also I think it is much better to be named after the only English King titled the Great, than the film or after that kid in Eastenders (the reason it got popular a few years ago).

Obviously plenty of people disagree with me, as Alfie is much more popular than Alfred.

Piati Mon 13-Oct-08 21:15:23

Not keen on this, sorry.

findtheriver Mon 13-Oct-08 21:16:18

Agree with Cadelaide I'm afraid. Tomorrow's Darren.....

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Mon 13-Oct-08 21:17:12

I like the name Alfie quite a lot. I actually don;t know of any child called this locally.

However, I prefer to give full names on birth certificates. But I don't like Alfred, so couldn;t (persoanlly) use Alfie

melmamof3 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:02:14

Cadelaide, thats what I was thinking. Dont want to use a name that is too trendy.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now