Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Annabel, Annabella, Annabelle or Arabella?

(70 Posts)
frazzledoldbag34 Mon 13-Oct-08 15:31:40

Right, so have discounted Claudia and am keen on these. But which is nicest?
And do you think if I go for Annabella or Arabella she'll just get called 'Bella', which I'm not keen on and is also the name of my neice (Isabella) although she never gets called Isabella, always Bella.
BTW not concerned about the similarity of my baby names with neice's name as she's a step-neice and I've only seen her once in the last 4 yrs!

nappyaddict Mon 13-Oct-08 16:09:03

Do you like the nickname Anna or Annie better? for what it's worth I know an Annabel who is known by that not Anna/Annie/Bel.

I like Arabella best. Could be called Bel, Ara, Ari for short or just Arabella.

gladders Mon 13-Oct-08 16:21:28

I like Annabel best - simplest?

Neeerly3 Mon 13-Oct-08 16:24:04

i know an Arabella, fiesty little minx at just over two and her nickname is Barry (i have no idea why but it really suits!)

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 13-Oct-08 16:53:05

I like Anna best as a nickname. In fact would probably use it as a name itself if one of my best friends hadn't got there and called her daughter Anna first. So I couldn't do it. (but could get away with it as a nickname for a longer first name I think)?

mrswoolf Mon 13-Oct-08 17:22:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MingMingtheWonderPet Mon 13-Oct-08 17:23:45

Annabelle

Wavedancer Mon 13-Oct-08 17:24:53

Annabel - like it - classic and classy
The others are all a bit poncey (IMHO, sorry!)

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 13-Oct-08 19:25:19

Well, yes wavedancer I'd have to agree. BUT I like poncey!

LadyThompson Mon 13-Oct-08 19:38:29

Annabel (classic) or Arabella (gorgeous, bit more unusual). Not keen on the spellings of the other two.

SalVolatile Mon 13-Oct-08 19:49:09

I have an Arabella (6) - if anyone calls her Bella at school she just politely says 'I'm Arabella' which works so far grin. She's a feisty little minx to - must be in the name! Haven't met any others at school but have met Annabel/Anabella though.

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 13-Oct-08 19:53:43

Loving the polite 'I'm Arabella'. She sounds fab!
I do like Arabella, knew a lovely one at school although I'm pretty sure she used to be called Bella sometimes.
(Really, really not keen on Bella).
Still undecided.

Ineedsomesleep Mon 13-Oct-08 20:49:32

I love Annabella and Arabella.

CDMforever Mon 13-Oct-08 21:06:10

I have an 8 week old Arabella and lots of people have commented on what a lovely name it is. I sometimes call her Bella Boo. She is truly "bella".

katz Mon 13-Oct-08 21:08:03

if her cousins is isabelle can i suggest going for Annalise instead?

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Mon 13-Oct-08 21:10:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 13-Oct-08 21:15:02

People won't call her Bella if her name is ANNABEL surely?
That would only be for Annabella or Arabella non?

findtheriver Mon 13-Oct-08 21:17:37

Arabella. Sooooo much classier

katz Mon 13-Oct-08 21:18:28

frazzled - if you're not keen on belle/bella then i would stir clear of a name which has it in it, people do all sorts of things to names!

castille Mon 13-Oct-08 21:21:00

If you like poncey names, you'll love Araminta, surelywink

But of those you suggest, I like Annabella best. And if you don't like Bella, correct them straightaway!

micku5 Mon 13-Oct-08 21:24:50

I am an Annabelle and nobody shortens it, if they do, I just politiely re-iterate that my name is Annabelle

annasmami Mon 13-Oct-08 21:53:49

I love Annabel (our dd's name) and Arabella!

Annabel is actually quite popular (luckily none in dd's class but several in our neighbourhood and school), whereas I've only ever met one little Arabella. So if you want a more unique name, go with Arabella.

Both are classic, beautiful names and work well in most languages!

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:07:35

I think, on reflection that I am leaning towards Annabel. As you say classic and beautiful and less likely to be shortened to 'Bella'.
It had better not be a boy now! smile

nappyaddict Mon 13-Oct-08 22:36:42

Annabel might get shortened to Bel. But if you don't like that just say her name is Annabel or oh we shorten it to Anna actually.

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 13-Oct-08 22:58:16

I don't mind Bel actually, it's Bella I'm not keen on.
But yes, nappy you're right - I'd probably immediately correct people and tell them to call her Annabel (or Anna for short). Good advice. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now