Talk

Advanced search

Hermione can it still be used?

(15 Posts)
barlettscafe Sun 05-Oct-08 20:48:14

before I add this to our list I wanted to check that this was still usable. It is too strongly tied to Potter now, or is it safe to use?
opinions appreciated

brimfull Sun 05-Oct-08 20:49:44

i like it
am sure the harry potter thing will fade away

at least people will know how to pronounce it

ShowOfHands Sun 05-Oct-08 20:49:59

I loved it pre-Potter but I couldn't. No reason you shouldn't. Harry, after all is very popular.

mazzystartled Sun 05-Oct-08 20:50:14

I love it
Friend's little sister at school was called it
Dh ruled it out on the basis he couldn't spell it
Whilst its linked to HP I don; think there are that many of them knocking around

katz Sun 05-Oct-08 20:51:48

i wanted dd2 to be hermione but she was born shortly before one of the books was launched, it would be on my list if we ever had a third.

UniversallyChallenged Sun 05-Oct-08 20:51:50

No - it's banned
sorry, but there you go wink

Lovely name, go for it

TwoPumpkins Mon 06-Oct-08 14:00:04

I wouldnt let the HP connection stop me either
Have you looked at the other Greek names that are nnot dissimilar? Persephone Antigone etc

mrswoolf Mon 06-Oct-08 14:14:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrswoolf Mon 06-Oct-08 14:15:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Moogatron Thu 09-Oct-08 14:55:42

Until I saw a Harry Potter film, I always thought it was pronounced Herm-ee-own.
Her-my-on-ee sounds much better!

the Famous five were very popular in their day and there were plenty of Anne's etc!

Betrogene Thu 16-Oct-08 16:42:25

There's a beautiful song on David Bowie's
'Space Oddity' album called 'Letter to Hermione'- I've loved the name since I first heard that song ....decades before Potter!

gizmo Thu 16-Oct-08 16:44:32

It's still very unusual - I'm not seeing any, and I keep a special watch for them. Plus live in rather pretentious and bookish part of the world.

LuLuBai Thu 16-Oct-08 16:59:40

I've always liked it. I thought the books would cause an explosion of Hermiones but actually there are still very few.

I would go for it if I were you. A beautiful and classic name, which everyone knows how to pronounce and spell, but which for some reason very few people are actually using. Name nirvana!

2Helenback Fri 17-Oct-08 12:36:32

As it's associated with a strong, moral female in the HP books, it is unlikely to become a character name you wouldn't want to be associated with IYKWIM.

I liked Ophelia, but as a teacher I could just imaging all the 'can I have Ophelia tits?' comments the boys I teach would make and so banned it.

Kathyis6incheshigh Fri 17-Oct-08 12:38:14

I met a very nice MNer called Hermione once <waves>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now