loader

Talk

Advanced search

welsh names that work in english

(102 Posts)
nicewarmslippers Wed 01-Oct-08 14:16:06

Message withdrawn

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Wed 01-Oct-08 14:18:02

i like cai and carys. bethan is lovely too.

wotsits Wed 01-Oct-08 14:20:42

They all sound OK to me, but DH is Welsh and my DC have Welsh names too. I really like Nerys.

bronze Wed 01-Oct-08 14:20:53

I have a Nia and though sometimes people call her Mia most people understand and sy it right.

gladders Wed 01-Oct-08 14:21:29

am english but with welsh speaking mother. do i qualify??

i don't like your boys names i'm afraid. in my youth i always liked the idea of a son called hywel.... so perhaps we're on different wavelengths?

girls - think that's a great list - although nerys sounds a bit old fashioned in english maybe?

shangrila Wed 01-Oct-08 14:23:46

Hi nicewarmslippers

We had exactly the same issue with both DDs names and in the end opted for one exceptionally Welsh and the other Welsh but easy (in my opinion) for DHs english family to cope with. To this day, they have difficulty with both! But then they are weirdy odd-bods who have no truck with things Welsh. hmm

In my experience, the names you have chosen are lovely but my in-laws would find them difficult - my barometer!

I so love Iola (Iolo too!)one of my favourite names.

mellyonion Wed 01-Oct-08 14:24:39

another welshie here!

i love them all...i know quite a few ffions, and carys's if that boters you to have a "popular" name.

i love manon...my favey girls name i think...

hope it goes well for you!

nicewarmslippers Wed 01-Oct-08 14:24:40

Hi gladders

everyone qualifies! this is my first post and I am amazed how fast replies have come in!

dh likes hywel too but I rulled it out as bad for english speakers (worry my mother won't cope) what do others think?

I worry nerys sounds too old but I like it

Lionstar Wed 01-Oct-08 14:25:02

Not so hot on the boys names, but think they would be pronounced OK, except maybe ifan (though Rhys Ifans may have changed that!). I like Bryn as a boys name. And prefer Ceri to Deri (which sounds a bit irish).

Lots of Carys/Cerys and Bethans here in England so they would be OK. Really like Catrin actually.

SoupDragon Wed 01-Oct-08 14:25:53

Seren's a piece of cake. no one's stuffed it up in Croydon yet. V. common in Wales though, I gather.

sammybeth Wed 01-Oct-08 14:26:44

All the girls ones are lovely but not sure on the boys. How abour Rhys is that a welsh name???

katz Wed 01-Oct-08 14:27:38

i'm personally not keen on deri or cai, but love the welsh boys names Geraint, although wenr to uni with one and everyone except me and DH (who grew up in wales) struggled with his name!

rivchdesigns67 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:28:20

Hi - am english but lived in Wales now for 13 years.
For boys like them all except Deri whioh I don't think sounds very manly once grown up!
For girls i know my english relatives would have a problem with pronouncing iola and I agree Nerys would be considered old fashioned.
Hope this helps!

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:28:41

LIke all your girls names except Nerys (Nerys Hughes!) How do you pronounce Iola? Is it Eye-ola? Because that's how I'd think it was said.
Not that keen on your boys names (sorry) but think they will be fine in English. (I'm English, living in Scotland!)
Good luck with the baby!

nicewarmslippers Wed 01-Oct-08 14:32:03

Message withdrawn

nicewarmslippers Wed 01-Oct-08 14:35:26

hi frazzeledold bag (it feels rude calling you that! I am sure you are not)

I had never heard of nerys hughes so just googles her. at least she is old enough that this generation won't think of it but thanks

iola starts like yogurt if you see what I mean (its hard to write)

Lionstar Wed 01-Oct-08 14:39:31

Other boys names that work OK in English are Gareth and Alun. My all time favourite is Osian (Oshi for short), but that is quite hard say apparently hmm

Agree Seren is rather overdone these days. Other girls names I like are Taryn, Tyrion and Esyllt (but this one IS hard in English)

ftm42 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:40:38

My second son is called Dylan. Mam used to pronounce it 'dull-an' but transates OK in English. My neices/nephew are Medi [September], Ioan [equiv to Ian/John] and Carys [darling??].

ftm42 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:46:47

Also have cousins called Mari and Sian.

nicewarmslippers Wed 01-Oct-08 15:05:58

ftm42

do other people call dylan 'dilan' (the english way) and if so do you correct them? I love the name dylan pronouced dull-an as it would be by a welsh speaker but I assume english friends would say dilan and that may annoy me.

nicewarmslippers Wed 01-Oct-08 15:05:59

ftm42

do other people call dylan 'dilan' (the english way) and if so do you correct them? I love the name dylan pronouced dull-an as it would be by a welsh speaker but I assume english friends would say dilan and that may annoy me.

gladders Wed 01-Oct-08 16:18:12

pretty sure all english people will say dillan so correcting them might get wearing?

have cousins called owain and rhian - both nice names? owain gets mispelled a lot on this side of the border though....

welcome btw - this is a v friendly place!

sammybeth Wed 01-Oct-08 16:18:27

How is Rhys pronounced in welsh? (if you can put it in writing) Just curious as its my sons middle name

nicewarmslippers Wed 01-Oct-08 16:33:10

Hi Sammybeth

Its really hard to explain/write how the rh is pronounced here. I think the best way I can think to write it is hrys (almost like the h and r are the other way around) but it is a gentle and beautiful sound with a slight roll to it. I'm no native speaker and I'm sure a native speaker will correct me (but anyone would find it hard to write) Still I like the name rhys however it is said

gladders Wed 01-Oct-08 16:33:34

Rhys is pronounced 'Reece' in any language surely? How do you pronounce your son's middle name?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now