Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever met a Turkish boy/man whose name you liked?

(164 Posts)
CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 08:10:42

And if so, could you say what his name was? It's OK even if you don't know how to spell it.

I keep running Turkish boys' names by DH who keeps saying none sounds good to his European ears hmm

Playmobil Sat 27-Sep-08 08:13:38

Imran. Dou you mean Turkish only or Muslim too? In whih case Aadam.

ELR Sat 27-Sep-08 08:16:50

ds met a little boy who is half Turkish the other day, when you say his name it sounds like I-DEN, but was spelt begining with an A sorry did not take much notice of rest, but thought it was quite nice.

serenity Sat 27-Sep-08 08:30:33

Aiden's a lovely name, one of DS1s school friends.

DH knows an Ali, Mehmet, Cetin, Ozgur - I particularly like Mehmet and Cetin. I probably don't count though as I'm used to 'non-european' names being married to a Cypriot smile

nuthacuppatea Sat 27-Sep-08 08:33:46

Come to think of it No. I know a Mustafa tho...Mustafa.nuthacuppatea!

Kif Sat 27-Sep-08 08:41:58

My turkish friend called her baby Joseph.... dunno if that's a turkish name

Kif Sat 27-Sep-08 08:42:00

My turkish friend called her baby Joseph.... dunno if that's a turkish name

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 08:45:04

I would actually try to avoid Muslim names.

Aydin is a great name, but it has the Turkish character 'i without a dot'. ("Aydın"). I don't know how it would be spelled, let alone pronounced here in France.

It means "enlightened" smile

tjacksonpfc Sat 27-Sep-08 08:47:39

we have brothers bora and serhat in our school

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 08:50:42

serenity - I have the same problem - All Turkish names sound 'normal' to me. It is only to DH's delicate west european ears that they grate. My DB and American SIL have the same problem in choosing Turkish names for future children.

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 08:52:54

How does Bora sound to you?

Unusual name (these days), and it means some type of strong wind. Not sure if I have the courage to tempt fate by naming a DS after a strong force of nature, but it is a nice name smile

stroppyknickers Sat 27-Sep-08 08:58:29

Baris? Pronounced Barish.

GordonTheGardenGnome Sat 27-Sep-08 09:03:49

I met a lovely lad on holiday in Turkey who asked if he could hold my hand (I was 16). His name was Ramazan. I was so young and naive. Happy days. The waiter there had a fab name but have no idea of the spelling. It was pronounced Gyu-can.

I always liked 'Tunch' (spelt phonetically here have no idea of the correct spelling)

It means 'enough' and is often given to a last child. grin

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 09:09:52

Gurkan? (with two dots on the u)

Ramazan = Ramadan. A bit too religious for us.

Baris - Two Turkish characters that will be hard to write/pronounce I think. 'I without dot' and 's with tail' in the end that is pronounced 'sh'. It means 'peace'.

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 09:14:17

WWWW - Tunc (written with a 'c with tail') is a metal alloy. Bronze, I think.

You are thinking of 'Yeter'. It means 'enough' and is very rarely given to (hopefully) last children in remote villages where parents haven't heard of contraception. Horrid name. Imagine going through life with the name 'enough', AND everyone knowing your parents really didn't want to have you as soon as they meet you shock

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 09:15:21

Kif - Can your Turkish friend's baby be called 'Yusuf' instead? (meaning Joseph, in the Biblical sense) That would be a Turkish name.

pucca Sat 27-Sep-08 09:18:14

What about Yunus?

blush Sorry for getting it wrong, I did know a Tunc, and he did tell me that was his names meaning, I actually thought it was quite sweet though.....

hippipotami Sat 27-Sep-08 09:45:19

Dd has a lovely little Turkish pal at school called Arda. I think that is also how it is spelled. I love the name smile

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 10:08:48

Yunus = Dolphin

Does it sound good to the Anglophone ear?

CoteDAzur Sat 27-Sep-08 10:15:01

Can everyone here give marks (1-5) to the following names?

Arda
Bora
Aydin (I-den)
Yunus (Younous)
Tunc (Tounch)

and the only name DH has so far not vetoed:

Ates (Atesh)

noonki Sat 27-Sep-08 10:37:47

we had the same problem with polish names, especailly for boys (ended up with middle names that no one can pronunce!)

is Samir used in turkey? - I think that is a lovely name

OK I will be honest with your list:
IMO
Bora reminds me of Borabora (german army base I think!)

Arda - sounds like harder in a London accent
Aydin sounds lovely but will spend their life saying not Aden (Iden)

Yunus - sounds a bit like eunuch

and tunc I like

my fav of the above is Aydin I think it sis lovely.

Good luck!My name is 'foreign' and some people don't get it but it has never bothered me

LaTrucha Sat 27-Sep-08 10:52:10

Ediz - lady on here called her DC that. V. nice IMO.

GordonTheGardenGnome Sat 27-Sep-08 10:54:24

Out of that list I do like Aydin and prefer it, though only marginally, to Ates. Second choice would be Yunus or Tunc and I agree with what noonki said about Arda and Bora.

Just remembered I worked with a chap from Turkey called Adil. He said it meant 'judicious'. Oh and Dhimitraq who had the nickname Taqko (pronounced Tie-shkar). He was gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now