Talk

Advanced search

Can I call her Samantha Jones?

(28 Posts)
SBMJLJ Fri 26-Sep-08 23:25:48

Not long left to go and we still can't quite decide on a girl's name (we know it's a girl). I have always liked the name Samantha and was quite set on this for various reasons. Firstly, I wondered what others thought of this name?

Secondly, one niggle is that someone has recently said that Samantha Jones is a character from 'Sex in the City'. I don't think this matters as I would have thought this programme would not really be remembered by the time she is old enough and is only a character name rather than a real name(and not so well-known as Bridget or Grace!).

Also, whilst there are a few others that I like, finding one that a very fussy partner likes is near impossible and he actually likes this one. He only liked one boy's name that I came up with out of a huge list and this is the name of our son, but there were no potential association issues.

Going around in circles and only a few weeks left with no new suggestions.

What do you think? grin

ruty Fri 26-Sep-08 23:28:54

i desperately wanted to be called Samantha when i was a kid. It does have a bit of a retro feel to it, a 70' vibe, but at least it isn't a common name at the moment, unlike Poppy or Daisy or Amelie [all nice names but in vogue] She can always be Sam or Sami.

gigglewitch Fri 26-Sep-08 23:30:02

went to school with a Samantha Jones grin I quite like it! She was absolutely bonkers [in a good way] and always signed herself SammyJo

as you say, well better than Bridget....

TwoMore Sat 27-Sep-08 11:16:39

Gets my vote

SBMJLJ Sat 27-Sep-08 16:04:53

Thank you everyone so far for your possitive comments. I like the fact that we could shorten to Sammy/Sami/Sam if it suits and she's not so 'girly'.

Maybe it was a one-off with the person's 'Sex in the City' comments as she was pretty negative about it not being the right thing to do?

Hope to get some more opinions & thoughts on this ......? smile

tribpot Sat 27-Sep-08 16:09:54

The Samantha Jones in SATC is probably not the type of woman you would hope your dc to become as an adult, whilst possessing many good qualities such as loyalty, intelligence, determination and lately the ability to wear sushi grin

As long as your next child isn't called Carrie Bradshaw I think you're alright.

maretta Sat 27-Sep-08 16:10:11

Like it. Can't imagine she'll ever watch SATC.

belgo Sat 27-Sep-08 16:27:09

It's fine, I used to watch SITC but I didn't think of the link until you mentioned it.

I've always liked the name Samantha.

KnickersOnMaHead Sat 27-Sep-08 16:37:32

Message withdrawn

BabyBaby123 Sat 27-Sep-08 22:14:46

I think it's a bit 70s. Not my cup of tea but not awful, just a bit dated.....

funnypeculiar Sat 27-Sep-08 22:16:48

I watched SITC on & off, and wouldn't have made the connection. Can't see anyone remembering the name in 10 years time.

Szyslak Sat 27-Sep-08 22:18:32

One of your friends may occasionally make a commection, but non of her friends will so i think you should use it.

Romney Sun 28-Sep-08 18:28:55

I only thought of the obscure 60s/70s singer, so I think you're alright. It depends whether SATC fades away or people remember it. All the same its such an "ordinary" (in the nicest way!) combination of names that it is hardly like calling someone James T. Kirk or Monica Geller.

yama Sun 28-Sep-08 18:33:23

I'm like Ruty - loved the name Samantha as a kid.

I have also watched SATC a lot and I don't think I ever knew that Samantha's surname was Jones.

chunglimum Sun 28-Sep-08 18:44:51

It's my name and I still hate it...it's such a mouthful but I'm always Sam (though never Sammy) and I do like that. Sorry. I think it's nice with Jones, though.

chunglimum Sun 28-Sep-08 19:25:13

More to the point, I was named after Samantha from "Bewitched", forty years ago and now no-one gets the reference.

angrypixie Sun 28-Sep-08 19:58:45

I'm not keen - will always be a reminder of Sam Fox to me, but then I am quite old <sigh>

ruty Mon 29-Sep-08 00:08:34

I know a Samia - quite nice too.

SBMJLJ Thu 02-Oct-08 15:21:42

Thanks for your comments which are mostly positive. I can understand why some might feel it's not that modern, but I do like more traditional names to modernM. It's so hard to decide and I'm sure we all want to get it right for us.
Thought it would be easier for a girl!

Are there any samanthaKs that like Their name? I always like it growing upm

TinkerBellesMum Thu 02-Oct-08 15:35:49

Problem with a name like Jones is you are always going to find someone with the combination you want! My name is one of the most common names (apparantly most requested for heraldry goods, so I think that means Smith and Jones don't bother to have their's done) in the UK and I'm so glad I don't have to think about names with mine.

Go for it.

SBMJLJ Thu 02-Oct-08 16:00:57

Exactly, tinkerbelle's mum! I like names like Olivia and Ruby' but with such a common last name it would be nice to have somthing less common, but not wacky. Our 7 year old can only come up with Bart, Homer, and Toblerone!

TinkerBellesMum Thu 02-Oct-08 16:04:05

Sound good to me, apparantly my daughter is going to be called FiFi! Tinker Belle was my neice's reaction to Isobel grin

Simplysally Thu 02-Oct-08 16:09:49

I like it as it's relatively unusual but it's such a pretty name.

Simplysally Thu 02-Oct-08 16:11:04

FWIW, my x-bf has one of the most common names in the world and was the name of a dictator who recently died. Didn't put his parents off choosing it though... hmm

CountessDracula Thu 02-Oct-08 16:13:10

I didn't mind it when I was growing up

I was the only one in my (quite large) school (I am 42 nearly)

No-one ever calls me it though, only Sam or Sambo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now