Talk

Advanced search

Would 'Reuben' get shortened to 'Ben'?

(16 Posts)
Lovage Wed 24-Sep-08 10:15:58

My favourite boy's name is 'Reuben', but for reasons of family history I have really bad associations with the name 'Ben'. Do you think a child called Reuben would get abbreviated to 'Ben' once he's in school? At home we could call him 'Rube' for short but I know, from teacher friends, that once they get into school they often get nicknamed to the more obvious shortening.

If he was likely to end up being called 'Ben' I would rather not name him Reuben, that's how much I hate the associations of that name (apols to all parents of Bens - nothing against the name itself, just the person it makes me think of)

TheUNITUBER Wed 24-Sep-08 10:19:51

I think Rube is the more obvious shortening.

nappyaddict Wed 24-Sep-08 10:20:45

My friend's ds is Reuben and he gets called Ru.

MissMarpleTastic Wed 24-Sep-08 10:22:11

I'd never even thought of calling a Reuben, Ben.
I'd shorten it to Ru if it was someone I knew.

missblythe Wed 24-Sep-08 10:26:59

Rube or Rubes seem more likely.

funnypeculiar Wed 24-Sep-08 10:32:58

I know a Reuben - has always been Ru, Ruby and Rubes. Had never thought of Ben - don't personally think it's an obvious shortening.

BUT I agree that once they hit school, shortenings can be a bit out of your control ....

FioFio Wed 24-Sep-08 10:33:55

Message withdrawn

Lemontart Wed 24-Sep-08 10:35:55

"Ruuuuuuube" shouted across the playground unless they are trying to tease the lad and then he will get "Ruuuuuuby" with a big smirk
Been in many playgrounds with quite a few Reubens over the years and never heard any of them shortened to Ben

Lilliput Wed 24-Sep-08 10:36:58

I have a Reuben and he used to get called Ruby, Roo, or Rubes as a baby. Now he insists that he is only called Reuben (or Luke Skywalker, or The Doctor depending on the game!!).

Lovage Wed 24-Sep-08 10:37:30

Oh, this is very reassuring, thank you. Anyone disagree and think he would be quite likely to get called Ben?

Bucharest Wed 24-Sep-08 10:39:16

My friend's little boy is always Ru.

hughjarssss Wed 24-Sep-08 10:41:12

I know Reuben and it never gets shortened to Ben

lemonlady Wed 24-Sep-08 10:44:29

I just love the name, its fab!!!
don't think he would get shortened to Ben, more Ru or Rube

OrmIrian Wed 24-Sep-08 10:54:26

Rube usually. Friend has a 19yr old son called Reuben. Shortened to Rube and his gf is Ruby also shortened to Rube hmm

moyasmum Wed 24-Sep-08 11:08:35

Not normally,you would have to lead the way and have people say"way didnt you call him Benjamin,then"?

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 24-Sep-08 13:16:25

i know someone who has shortened Rueben to Ben - but I thought for ages it was short for Benjamin, think it's just he prefers Ben to Ru or similar - he's chosen how to introduce himself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now