Talk

Advanced search

Help with French/English boys name - Quentin, Hugo or Thomas

(47 Posts)
Florencemaman Tue 23-Sep-08 11:06:23

My dh (French) and I are expecting our first boy. We would like to give him a name that 'works' in both French and English. Our favorites, all fairly popular in France, are:

Quentin
Hugo
Thomas

What do you think?

annasmami Tue 23-Sep-08 11:17:46

I like them all, but Thomas is probably the most 'common' name, whereas Quentin and Hugo are (imho) less popular but equally classic, traditional names.

nickytwotimes Tue 23-Sep-08 11:23:49

Love Thomas.
I'm afraid I dislike the names Quentin and Hugo - a little pretentious, but it depends where you live.

cremolafoam Tue 23-Sep-08 11:24:07

j'aime Hugo
et aussi Remy

Overmydeadbody Tue 23-Sep-08 11:24:44

Hugo is my favourite, lovely lovely name.

Quentin also nice.

Thomas is one of those names that's not really very personal I think. Very generic.

mrsgboring Tue 23-Sep-08 11:24:53

Are you in England or France and is it likely to change? If you are going to pronounce "Quentin" the French way, could cause problems with puerile English schoolchildren. It does sound rather florid in English however you pronounce it.

Love Hugo and Thomas.

rosbif Tue 23-Sep-08 11:47:00

Am in France, DS2 is called Hugo. I agree with mrsgboring, the English would find Quentin difficult though it is a lovely name. Thomas is nice but a bit nondescript imo.

Florencemaman Tue 23-Sep-08 11:59:20

Thank you for your responses so far.

We are in France currently but may be moving to England (probably London) within the next 5 years. So would like a name that works well in both countries.

Mimsy2000 Tue 23-Sep-08 12:07:43

think emile is a lovely name

branflake81 Tue 23-Sep-08 12:34:01

Yes but Quentin in French sounds nothing like Quentin in English.

branflake81 Tue 23-Sep-08 12:35:04

sorry, can see other people have said that too. (should read before posting!)

iwantasecondone Tue 23-Sep-08 12:37:52

I just called mine Pascal. Quentin was a close runner up.

madmarriedNika Tue 23-Sep-08 12:46:15

I have french friends who were living over here (N. Ireland) and called their little boy Ywann- and everyone has coped with pronouncing it very well- I think it's beautiful. They also considered Luc or Lucas.

I like Etienne too, which works ok in England. I have a friend who is half French & half-English, brought up in England, called Jean-Luc, and he's never had probs with pronounciation.

I like Thomas, though it's getting very popular over here again (2 in DS's class). I like Quentin but not so sure about Hugo.
Good luck!

largeginandtonic Tue 23-Sep-08 12:48:47

I have a Hugo and love it, lots of other people do too smile

He is mostly 'Hugs' to us in the family.

He is perfectly edible too, see profile wink

We quite like French names and are hoping to move to France in the next 10 years or so. I love it there!

gladders Tue 23-Sep-08 13:15:41

Quentin sounds great in French and rubbish in English imo...

I know a bilingual family who have a thomas and I think it works really well....

Another bilingual family i know have a yann (guess english equivalent is Ian?) and a jeremie....

MadameCastafiore Tue 23-Sep-08 13:16:56

Xavier is lovely too.

cupsoftea Tue 23-Sep-08 13:17:11

All lovely

Thissideofchannel Tue 23-Sep-08 13:41:11

I prefer Quentin and Hugo - both traditional, classic names imo.

Thomas a little too popular and 'common' for me.

bluebump Tue 23-Sep-08 13:41:14

I love Hugo, I wanted a Hugo but DP said no!

cupcakesinthesnow Tue 23-Sep-08 13:45:06

I love Hugo and Ettienne. I also love the name Isodore (is that French?) and Florian.

midnightexpress Tue 23-Sep-08 13:48:46

Not keen on Quentin and Hugo sounds a bit posh. Thomas is nice but pretty common if you're looking for something more unusual.

I love Xavier too. V cool. And also Bruno, which is Hugo-ish, but not so posh.

My friends with French/English parents have a Matthieu (sp?), which works well in both languages too IMO.

frazzledoldbag34 Tue 23-Sep-08 14:16:02

Not quentin IMO - reminds me of that funny looking man off the car programme on TV - quentin wilson isn't it?
Hugo and Thomas are fine names.

OrmIrian Tue 23-Sep-08 14:19:25

Hugo.

Quentin just makes me think Crisp.
Thomas a bit ordinary but I supposed pronounced differently in France.

largeginandtonic Tue 23-Sep-08 16:09:06

Florian << swoon >> that name is lovely!

mummypoppins Tue 23-Sep-08 16:41:19

I have a Thomas Oliver Henry .....all very french.

But beware all Thomas's I have ever known including my own are gorgeous but very naughty!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now