Talk

Advanced search

Funny how you can love the male version of a name but dislike the female or vice versa.......

(13 Posts)
findtheriver Mon 22-Sep-08 19:54:29

eg I LOVE the name Oliver and it would have been a strong contender if I'd had more ds's. But Olivia, while pretty, would never feature in my top ten. Joseph is beautiful, but Josephine wouldnt be a favourite. Alexander - love it, Alexandra - ok, but again not a fave. Daniel - beautiful, Danielle - yuck! And I adore Frances for a girl, but Francis for a boy leaves me cold. What does everyone else think?

ceebee74 Mon 22-Sep-08 19:56:34

Ooh I agree - I am pg and we know the baby is a boy so have already decided to call him Samuel (Sam) - however, if by some fluke (and what we saw on the scan was just a third leg wink) the baby turns out to be a girl, I would not call it Samantha/Sam as I don't like that name for a girl - weird!!

findtheriver Mon 22-Sep-08 20:00:05

Exactly ceebee - Samuel is a lovely name; Samantha just seems.... chavvy. Even abbreviated to Sam, it sounds better on a boy. Like Joe - great for a boy, but I don't like Jo for a girl.

S1ur Mon 22-Sep-08 20:03:21

I think Bernard is a lovely pretty name for a lass but boys called Sally are just daft.

And I not keen on jordan for either.

mummypoppins Tue 23-Sep-08 17:34:51

ROFL slur.............. !!!!!

bikerunski Tue 23-Sep-08 17:53:49

have to agree with ceebee. DS (16 days) is Samuel, have always loved teh name and has lots of connections on both sides of DH's family, but absolutely hate the name Samantha.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 23-Sep-08 17:56:01

Ahem. there's nothing wrong with the name Samantha!

ethanchristopher Tue 23-Sep-08 22:35:52

i love Ashleigh for a girl but not so keen Ashley for a boy

hatrick Tue 23-Sep-08 22:53:24

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Sep-08 23:00:24

I love Frances and Francis

and oliver/olivia and alexander/alexandra lol

can't think of many where I dislike just one of the other. but throw some more this way

hatrick Tue 23-Sep-08 23:01:46

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Sep-08 23:06:23

yes, definitely lovely :D

hatrick Tue 23-Sep-08 23:07:40

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now