Talk

Advanced search

A cautionary name tale...

(77 Posts)
Clary Sun 14-Sep-08 00:24:34

I met some people today with small children (hope she isn't a MN-er) and wanted to share this cautionary tale.

Greeted oldest child - what's yr name? I'm Alex, he says. Very nice.

What's yr sister called?
Mum: Oh, this is Minka.

Me: Eh? Sorry what did you say her name was?

Mum: Minka.

Me: Oh that's nice, how unusual, errm <lost for words for once> what a pretty skirt!

It was Minka, I checked later, not Minca or Mincker or Mincer or Minger. {sorry}

But really, I just wanted to say that that is that child's destiny for the rest of her life, to repeat her name to everyone she tells it to.

So when you name your lovely baby, pick something less commonly used if you want (yes I did) but please pick something that people actually recognise as a name!

FAQ Sun 14-Sep-08 00:26:46

has actually been used as a name!!

S1ur Sun 14-Sep-08 00:30:34

Oh. I thought Minka sounded vaguely familar and rather nice.

I am sure I once knew a Minka... hmm didn't I? Buroogah! can't remember, almost sure that it is a name though.

Clary Sun 14-Sep-08 00:36:36

yes but FAQ that's the daughter of a rock star.

As in Moon-Unit Zappa grin

IS it a name? Searched for it in vain on 2 baby name sites.

FAQ Sun 14-Sep-08 00:42:28

ermm Max and Minka?

pre daughter of a rock star (well at least I hope she is with children of those ages grin)

Clary Sun 14-Sep-08 00:45:58

FAQ impressive research!

DH said it was eastern European actually. I was just so surprised at myself, not knowing waht to say (and I have heard some names in my time grin)

S1ur Sun 14-Sep-08 01:03:17

Oh dear I realise now that it could possibly have been a fictional name adopted.

I still rather like it though

MinkasMum Sun 14-Sep-08 01:15:58

Very angry at this thread!

FAQ Sun 14-Sep-08 01:18:28

grin @ "MinkasMum" wink

thumbwitch Sun 14-Sep-08 01:46:04

could be worse - have just seen sharleen spiteri at Proms in the Park and she called her daughter Misty Kyd. V. rock'n'roll but really. (although I quite like Misty by itself, throwback to childhood "comic"book of same name)

hatrick Sun 14-Sep-08 10:00:30

Message withdrawn

FairLadyRantALot Sun 14-Sep-08 10:23:57

Minka doesn't sound that unusua to me....but then I know a few Inkas...which is not an uncommonly used name in Germany.....

Cappuccino Sun 14-Sep-08 10:27:14

"I just wanted to say that that is that child's destiny for the rest of her life, to repeat her name to everyone she tells it to. "

oh thank you so much for that

we will all call our children Jack and Jill from now on, and the world will be a better place

fark off

my dd has to repeat her name. She doesn't care at all.

Kbear Sun 14-Sep-08 10:36:52

So it may not be a "British" name but our society is multi-cultural and unusual (to us) names are on the increase. Bit rude to react as if a name is weird. By all means ask a person to repeat it if you don't understand what they said but to act all spluttery and shocked is a bit mean.

Do you honestly only speak to Johnny and Janes?

StormInanEcup Sun 14-Sep-08 10:39:48

Message withdrawn

Cappuccino Sun 14-Sep-08 10:42:32

oh I hadn't realised it was you who was lost for words

so the cautionary tale is "don't let your children come near me because I will make no attempt to hide my inability to deal with anything different"

edam Sun 14-Sep-08 10:43:07

ds has a four-letter Welsh name that is common as a surname in England but STILL sometimes people get confused. Unless you call your child Kate, Rebecca, Peter or Sam, there is no guarantee that people will understand straight off.

Actually if you called children Peter or Jane these days they would really stand out - definitely be the only ones in their class.

spinspinsugar Sun 14-Sep-08 10:43:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsWeasley Sun 14-Sep-08 10:44:02

I find it a shame when children are named one name but called another but aren't told.

I know it works for the Royals but we had one girl start school this week and all forms etc were filled in her offical name but when name called she didnt answer and then said "you missed me out"
Have had to rename all books, computer system etc. Child was very confused

Blu Sun 14-Sep-08 10:52:02

Why did you need to say anything?

Depressing if no-one can ever use a name you might not have heard of because everyone feels the need to go 'ooh er, how odd' etc...or be visibly lost fo words.

And yes, it may well be E european or something, I have no idea - v parochial to go 'oooo er' at evry unfamiliar foreign name, too.

StormInanEcup Sun 14-Sep-08 10:53:42

Message withdrawn

ethanchristopher Sun 14-Sep-08 10:58:53

lol awww poor op

i kind of agree - names that sound made up are stupid but like unusual names or names from different cultures arent bad, they are just not english

Blu Sun 14-Sep-08 11:04:43

Even if you consider a name 'stupid' because you consider it to be made up(and I guess that without an encyclopaedic knowledge of names worldwide you would be in a weak position to judge) it is rude to react - and insensitive tothe child - who had no control over the 'stupid' decision.

StormInanEcup Sun 14-Sep-08 11:07:10

Message withdrawn

norkmaiden Sun 14-Sep-08 11:09:20

Minka - unusual yes, but perfectly simple, intelligible name I would have thought. So I don't get the difficulty, sorry.

If you don't like the name, then that is a different question altogether

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now