Talk

Advanced search

Jackson?

(39 Posts)
compasss Wed 10-Sep-08 14:55:36

What do you think? Is this a safe bet or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

MamaG Wed 10-Sep-08 14:56:34

Is your surname Five?

WigWamBam Wed 10-Sep-08 14:58:43

With a sister called Jelly?

It's a surname, not really one I would consider as a first name.

OMaLittle Wed 10-Sep-08 14:59:20

love it

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Wed 10-Sep-08 15:49:59

There is a trend in the US to name children after former presidents. Hence Jackson, Kennedy, Madison (although, I suspect that is was after a Mermaid, and that that somehow kickstarted the trend). Jack reached supersaturation so Jackson became a lame attempt to be different whilst still being the same really.

If you want to choose a sur name, I can think of nicer ones.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 10-Sep-08 15:51:07

no,don't like it,sorry !

preggersplayspop Wed 10-Sep-08 15:56:06

I really like it, I would have used it had our surname not ended in 'on', so it would have sounded a bit daft. I don't see it as a lame attempt to be different to Jack. If you love it, use it.

PinkPussyCat Wed 10-Sep-08 16:05:24

oh oh just this morning I saw a pram with a NUMBER PLATE on and it bore the name JACKSYN1
Classy eh?

However I do quite like Jackson as a name. Just wish people would leave spellings alone!

dinkymum Wed 10-Sep-08 18:22:47

Know a grown up Jackson! Interesting character but I alway thought his name cool though. He's Jaco for short

PatsyCline Wed 10-Sep-08 18:33:25

I quite like it. It is traditional where I live to give your son his mother's maiden name as a first name. It often produces unusual names which are not too embarrassing to shout in supemarkets (my ultimate name test).

Fimbo Wed 10-Sep-08 18:34:22

No

SoupDragon Wed 10-Sep-08 18:36:45

In my mind it would only work (and work very well actually) on a black child. I don't know why.

JamInMyWellies Wed 10-Sep-08 18:38:01

I looked after a little boy in NY called Jackson great name, he had masses of nicknames though jackeroo, jacks etc etc and however many other configerations you can think of.

DoubleBluff Wed 10-Sep-08 18:39:25

I quite like it, makes me think of Jackson Pollack.

Podrick Wed 10-Sep-08 18:41:14

Is it safe?
Er no - Jack is safe

CaptainUnderpants Wed 10-Sep-08 18:48:24

I like Jackson . I call my DS that even though he offically has the shorter more common version. smile

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:22:08

As long as you dont spell it with an X.
I know of one spelt JAXON.
Please don't do that!

avaj Wed 10-Sep-08 20:44:11

Yeah I like Jackson.
I like surnames as first names, I think they manage to sound different but traditional at the same time.

AbbeyA Wed 10-Sep-08 20:53:09

The good thing about it is that you can shorten it to Jack for everyday use.

Raahh Wed 10-Sep-08 21:46:11

I personally dislike surnames as first names- DH wanted Sumner ( thankfully we had a dd)- but he is of U.S. stock, so maybe it is a cultural thing.

MrsMattie Wed 10-Sep-08 21:52:39

generally against surnames as first names but I like jackson. reminds me of Jackson Browne, and of cool American guys in leather jackets drinking bourbon smile

Boobz Wed 10-Sep-08 22:08:24

My dog is called Jackson...

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 22:14:45

Oh i like Jackson. That's what dp used to get called in his teens. It's actually his last name though. Lots of the guys were refered to by their last names for some reason [hhm]. I would call our child Jackson if it wasn't his sir name cos now that is just crazy!.

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 22:15:59

damn emoticons! that should have beenhmm

Romney Wed 10-Sep-08 22:33:11

I like Jackson. Reminds me of the Nancy Sinatra song about a couple breaking up...

"BOTH: We got married in a fever hotter than a pepper sprout
We been talkin' 'bout Jackson
JOHNNY: Ever since the fire went out
I'm goin' to Jackson, I'm gonna mess around (yeah?)
Yeah, I'm goin' to Jackson, look out Jackson town

JUNE: Well, go on down to Jackson, go ahead and wreck your health (hmm)
Go play your hand, you big-talkin' man, make a big fool of yourself
Yeah, yeah, go to Jackson, but go comb that hair
JOHNNY: I'm gonna snowball Jackson
JUNE: Go ahead and see if I care "

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now