Talk

Advanced search

Lemoni for a girl??

(65 Posts)
roundgirl Wed 10-Sep-08 12:02:51

Hi, I know it's a bit weird, but Captain Corelli's Mandolin is my favourite book and the little girl in that is called Lemoni...I love it, but don't want my child to be teased and ostracised! Would appreciate any thoughts!

MamaG Wed 10-Sep-08 12:03:26

<tumbleweed>

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 12:05:17

It makes me think of Lemony Snicket.

And of course of the citrus fruit.

I´d say it´s certainly not a common choice.

Cies Wed 10-Sep-08 12:05:56

<cies tries hard not to be seen as racist or classist or anything-ist>

CountessDracula Wed 10-Sep-08 12:06:11

Reminds me of Lemonia (restaurant)

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 12:06:48

Well my little sister is called Liama, which is a citrus sounding name. It's Latvian (her mum is half Latvian) it means lucky. It really suits her. Go for it if you really like it.

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 12:06:49

Well my little sister is called Liama, which is a citrus sounding name. It's Latvian (her mum is half Latvian) it means lucky. It really suits her. Go for it if you really like it.

WideWebWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 12:06:51

she will get teased
don't do it

PuppyMonkey Wed 10-Sep-08 12:08:17

My friend's little girl used to call someone else we know Lemony. Her actual name was Melanie though... grin

frankbestfriend Wed 10-Sep-08 12:08:32

My dd has a doll named Lemony(she is dressed all in yellow)

Quite like it, actually. Prefer with a -y or -ie ending rather than -i, though.

hippipotami Wed 10-Sep-08 12:08:44

I think she will get teased, sorry..

But could you call her a similar sounding name adn then use Lemoni as a nickname?

Dd is Emily but dh always calls her Lemoni and it suits her...
(although dd is going through a phase of wanting to be called Milly but that is a different story)

TsarChasm Wed 10-Sep-08 12:09:32

It sounds pretty and different with an accent. Was it Greek? I can't remember from the film.

But if you are in the uk I think it it will be said 'Lemonny' and there will be teasing.

3Ddonut Wed 10-Sep-08 12:09:59

Is it lem-ohn-ee or lem-on-ee?

hanaflower Wed 10-Sep-08 12:12:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlueChampagne Wed 10-Sep-08 12:14:00

If I recall, middle syllable should be stressed (Le-moan-ee). She will spend her life spelling it out though.

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 12:15:27

Clementine is a citrus name that people are fine with. Whats so wrong with Lemoni, i think it sounds pretty.

LittleMissBliss Wed 10-Sep-08 12:18:03

I spend my life spelling my name out. Its Safia, its phanetic. So i sometimes wonder why. But it doesn't bother me.

BlueChampagne Wed 10-Sep-08 12:47:35

I spend my life spelling both my names out, and it doesn't bother me either. But it's something else to consider before you get to the registrar!

Fimbo Wed 10-Sep-08 12:48:46

<<zips mouth and sits on hands>>

BroccoliSpears Wed 10-Sep-08 12:54:21

I think it's really pretty. Love it.

Tommy Wed 10-Sep-08 13:01:08

no - don't like that.
How about Leonie? Sounds a bit similar

TheGreatScootini Wed 10-Sep-08 13:03:29

I like it..also becaue of the book.DH guffawed when I suggested it for DD1 though so there was no way...

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 10-Sep-08 13:31:14

Sorry, but I really can't say I think it's a good idea [she said tactfully]

I think it would be a shame.

goingonajolly Wed 10-Sep-08 13:48:55

It makes me think of Lemony Snicket too but I don't dislike it. I have never met a person in RL who has been picked on because of their name except the odd bad surname (Pratt, Dick etc) and a girl at primary school called Fanny. She stood out for having a name with connotations rather than an unusual name. Names aren't unusual if you know someone with that name. If you live somewhere where all the other girls are called Evie and Molly then it will stand out more than if you live in a more diverse are but that doesn't mean it will be held up to ridicule.

nooka Wed 10-Sep-08 14:04:59

Well looking at the thread title make me snigger and want to say it in a silly voice to be completely honest, so I suspect that other people might too. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now