Talk

Advanced search

Gabriel - is it cruel?

(71 Posts)
mrsy Mon 08-Sep-08 18:14:45

Even though I'm convinced bump is a girl, we want a back up boys name. I like either Noah or Gabriel.
My husband favours Gabriel, but almost everyone we talk to says it's cruel, as he would be mercylessly teased "Gay-boy" at school etc.
What do you all think?

ByTheSea Mon 08-Sep-08 18:15:36

I think Gabriel is a lovely name. I don't know about the teasing though.

Weegiemum Mon 08-Sep-08 20:06:28

I know a lot of people like it, but for me ~NOOOOOO

Don't do it

Gabriel is an angel.. It is (not) really a girls name, but to a lot of people it is a white robed person pretending to be an archangel.

I would not do it. But I am very much not into this

Also dont like Noah (how much help am I?). My dd2 (4) heard someone call their son "Noah" and her response was "has thata boy gotta big boat". I shisssshed her, and her ext question was "has thata boy gotta lotta aminals?"

Dont like either.

Sorry!

noonki Mon 08-Sep-08 20:08:05

sorry hate it -

then I was bullied by a Gabriel

Noah is a silly name too (don't tell my mate though - she has a Noah and her brother is a gabriel!)

bodiddly Mon 08-Sep-08 20:17:24

I love it ... Gabe is a nice shortened version but dp won't allow it if we ever have ds2. He thinks he would be teased. That said I know of a little boy called Gabriel and it is really cute!

falcon Mon 08-Sep-08 20:19:16

No why would it be cruel? It's a lovely name, one of my favourites and it's a legitimate name.

AbricotsSecs Mon 08-Sep-08 20:19:39

Message withdrawn

falcon Mon 08-Sep-08 20:19:43

I also love Noah.grin

bluewolf Mon 08-Sep-08 20:20:47

Gabriel is good name - knew one at college and he was complete adonis, as I'm sure your baby will be if a boy.

dizzydixies Mon 08-Sep-08 20:21:35

I love it smile

ja9 Mon 08-Sep-08 20:21:43

i know a couple of gabriels . took a bit of getting used to, but i love gabe as shortened version.

having said that, i really really love noah and would choose it over gabriel.

MorocconOil Mon 08-Sep-08 20:21:45

It's a lovely name although it is a cause teasing. Your DS maybe able to handle it when he's older though.

cafebistro Mon 08-Sep-08 20:22:50

I think Gabriel is a lovely name.....though im not sure I'd use it.

JRocks Mon 08-Sep-08 20:26:15

I think it's lovely. And Noah too.

Lullabyloo Mon 08-Sep-08 20:28:44

Gabriel is a beautiful name...but then I am biased wink

Waswondering Mon 08-Sep-08 20:29:19

Ds has a friend called Gabriel (or Gabe). I like it too!

Dozymare Mon 08-Sep-08 20:29:52

it's a beautiful name - very strong IMO. I really really like it shortened to Gabe as well......

saggyhairyarse Mon 08-Sep-08 20:42:56

The sorts of people that would tease Gabriel with Gay-boy are the sorts I wouldn't want to be friends with.

Love Gabriel, fab name!

3andnomore Mon 08-Sep-08 20:51:17

like Gabriel a lot...but prefer Noah...always wanted it for my boys and was never allowed, as dh dislikes it so much sad...But I would have if I could have..

Blu Mon 08-Sep-08 20:52:09

None of the Gabriels I know (spanning several age groups) have endured any ignorant nonsense such as your friends predict - which begs the question - are they likely the ones to be doing the tasing???? Since they seem to have put so much thought into it?
DS's friend Gabriel has never heard a peep at their Lambeth primary.

mabanana Mon 08-Sep-08 20:54:31

There is a Gabriel in my son's class, and there has never been a hint of teasing. He's a popular boy and nobody thinks twice about his name. It is very, very far from being the most unusual name.

Sycamoretree Mon 08-Sep-08 21:05:34

I don't mind it, but it's a bit grand - "Look, here cometh Gabriel, how he glittereth and gloweth!". Much prefer Noah - in fact, Noah is lovely.

FWIW, don't think the Gay boy thing would necessarily materialise - don't think it's an automatic thing your mind jumps to, IYSWIM

slayerette Mon 08-Sep-08 21:09:59

My nephew is a Gabriel and has been teased for it - he came home one day asking my sis why she'd given him a girl's name sad

steviesgirl Mon 08-Sep-08 22:03:40

I love the name Gabriel. I think it's a gorgeous biblical name. And I love most of the biblical ones. Kids will always find something to tease someone about! I can't see all kids being bullied with that name.

My maiden name was Ripley, and guess what the kids at primary school called me 'raspberry ripple'! Yawn, how predictable. Once he's at secondary school, this sort of teasing usually stops anyway. It's more typical junior kids who tease over names, unless of course the name is horrendous, which Gabriel clearly isn't. It would be a name I'd consider if I was having a boy.

I'd say go for it. He won't be at first school all his life.

erwfran Mon 08-Sep-08 22:05:23

i know a very fine lady called Gabriel, I think it is a lovely name for a girl, i dont like Gabrielle though for some reason

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now