Talk

Advanced search

Scottish/celtic names

(31 Posts)
conkertree Mon 08-Sep-08 16:47:53

Early days yet for us to be thinking of names (7weeks just now), but just for future lists at the moment, wondered if anyone had any good scottish/celtic girls names that they could suggest?

We have a Struan at the moment and I like that it is slightly unusual, but not totally unheard of so am looking for something in a similar category for girls. Any suggestions gratefully received.

VoluptuaGoodshag Mon 08-Sep-08 16:50:38

Fionn (Finn) or Fiona

Lorn Lorna
Harris
Lewis Lauren

loler Mon 08-Sep-08 16:57:24

Hello there - hope you're feeling happier!

This is the fun bit - well to begin with any way!

My dds middle name is Voirrey. I wish that we were brave enough to have had it as a first name. We also considered Ealish, Joney/Jonee and Brenna (meaning raven haired beauty) for ds2 but obvisely didn't need them!

I found a couple of good websites through google.

Weegiemum Mon 08-Sep-08 20:12:09

Boys

Lewis
Harris
Aidan
Lorn
Brodie
Lachlann

Girl

Marsailie (tis gaelic for marjorie)
Morna
Iona
Rhona/Rona (second spelling is an island)
Isla
Fiona
Aoife

VoluptuaGoodshag Mon 08-Sep-08 20:31:56

Oooh I like Brodie.

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Mon 08-Sep-08 20:35:53

There is a mixture here,

Lorcan, Diarmuid, Cormac, Malachy, Finbar, Fergal, Fergus, Angus, Magnus, Ranald, Donald, Bruce, Douglas/Doogie, Arthur

Jeannie, Kirsten, Iona, Skye.. hmm. hard.

saltire Mon 08-Sep-08 20:35:54

Eilidh is my all time favourite girls name (I ahve 2 DSes)
also like
Isla
Iona
Morven

boys anmes

Finlay
Hamish
Ewan/Euan
Lachlan
Corrie
Logan
grant

bandie Mon 08-Sep-08 21:03:59

My two boys are called Hamish and Dougal.

We considered Gregor but were worried that he'd be called Gregory.

If we had a girl it would have been Isla (after the island Islay), my neice is called Iona.

Really like the name Murray as well for a boy. It is very traditional in scotland for the boy to take the maiden name as his first name.

Ellary is also nice, it is made up but a lovely part of scotland.

bandie Mon 08-Sep-08 21:08:06

Some nice, Welsh names for girls.

Seren- star
Envys- rainbow
Eira- snow (pron Aira)
Bronwyn
Bronwen

rather hippie though...

zwiggy Mon 08-Sep-08 21:13:44

morag
heather
bonnie

Fimbo Mon 08-Sep-08 22:51:58

Ailsa

Sugarkane Tue 09-Sep-08 09:48:16

Ive just named my lil girl Isla-Rae and have had so many nice comments about it, its such a beatuiful name or mayb im biased lol

reban Tue 09-Sep-08 13:44:21

My eldest daughter is called Alannah it means dear child a comes from an old Irish form of endearment

Miaou Tue 09-Sep-08 13:47:32

I have Caitlin, Eilish, Calum and Euan. Eilish is actually Irish Gaelic. Also on our lists were Cameron, Erin, Ishbel, Hamish, Struan (Hamish is Euan's middle name).

conkertree Tue 09-Sep-08 21:08:48

hi loler - [wave] yes much happier thanks - just pretty tired.

thanks very much for your help everyone - a few there that i really like and will put on the list.

bandie - my maiden name is Hutchison - think he might get the mick taken out of him if i called him that though grin.

BlueChampagne Wed 10-Sep-08 12:11:37

Following Iona, Skye etc, think of place names as well. Had a doozie lined up for a DD - but turned out to be a DS! Wouldn't work so well for a boy, but not telling tho' - still hope to get to use it one day ...

nailpolish Wed 10-Sep-08 12:20:50

Vhari
Aileen
Ailsa
Kirsty
Catriona
Eilish
Morven
Moira
Morag
Isobel
Lesley
Cara

nailpolish Wed 10-Sep-08 12:21:31

if you like Struan i think there is a girls version - Struana

nailpolish Wed 10-Sep-08 12:21:51

ohi see you already have a Struan blush

ruth32 Wed 10-Sep-08 15:16:51

we called our son Aran after the island of Arran (we got engaged there!)

blushingm Fri 12-Sep-08 18:42:54

we have an erin and ewan also like gregor, logan, lauchlan and heather

charx Mon 15-Sep-08 23:26:06

I love iona
but i own a (fill in the blank - car, house, tent, etc etc)
Iona voltswagen is what my charming MIL said when we introduced her to our precious baby (but then she is awful and i was predicting she'd be rude in some way) and to be perfectly honest I'd be delighted if she (our daughter not awful MIL) did own a tent, house, car, or grouse moor one day.

xxx

conkertree Tue 16-Sep-08 21:57:59

lol charx - can sympathise with the awful mil.

BlueChampagne Wed 17-Sep-08 13:04:58

Celtic personal names of Roman Britain available here: www.asnc.cam.ac.uk/personalnames/category.php

Have fun

ShoppingGirl Fri 19-Sep-08 18:06:16

I don't know much about Gaelic names (though found out recently that Morag is Gaelic for Sarah - who knew?) but am v opinionated on the subject of 'traditional' Scottish names.

For example, where the f* did 'Lewis' come from? It's a nice name but it's not a traditional Scottish boy's name.

I work in Scottish history etc and the most common boys names in Scotland (going back to my parents generation and before, more recently it's Jack, Lewis and Kyle all the way) are:

Alexander
Andrew
David
Duncan
George
James
John
Patrick
Robert
Samuel
Thomas
Will iam.

So the current crop of 'faux Scottish' names are recent additions. Doesn't matter of course if you like your chosen name but I'm one of the snippy types who thinks 'no it isn't' when people tell me they are giving their child a 'traditional' Scottish name when it isn't. I don't say it out loud though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now