Talk

Advanced search

Lydia, Aurora or Bella?

(55 Posts)
DisenchantedPlusBump Sat 06-Sep-08 19:20:04

Lydia was our original name (that I liked and convinced DH of)but I went off it, but have gone back to it a little now ..

then we decided together on Aurora and I made the stupid mistake of telling my mum who did the 'oh...ermmm... thats nice' thing hmm

We were planning on calling her Rorie most of the time, not Aurora constantly.

And I love Bella. But DH needs convincing!

Out of the 3 what would you say?

princessglitter Sat 06-Sep-08 19:22:11

Lydia. I have one grin. But all 3 names are nice.

georgiemum Sat 06-Sep-08 19:23:45

Aurelia or Eleanor are similar(ish). Ahh these would have been our choices for a girl... My mother would have had a fit! I like Lydia, especially the Italian pronunciation (Lee-deeah).

TheFallenMadonna Sat 06-Sep-08 19:24:11

Not Aurora.

janeite Sat 06-Sep-08 19:27:09

Aurora is a bit too "try hard" I think. Bella and Lydia are both lovely, although I think Lydia is getting increasingly popular, if that bothers you. I wanted dd to be Bella - but she was having none of it, once old enough to articulate her preferences!

SoupDragon Sat 06-Sep-08 19:27:57

Lydia

Raahh Sat 06-Sep-08 19:27:58

i love Aurelia, and it was a contender for dd, as was Lydia, but neither go well with our surnamesad

Aurora is pretty, but too Disney, and i'm not sure about Bella....

Go with Lydia

littlemissbossy Sat 06-Sep-08 19:29:40

Lydia is a lovely name. A girl in my class at school was called Lydia, she was always smiling and had a really lovely nature and the mere mention of that name still reminds me of her.

Aurora, on the other hand, reminds me of the film Wayne's World - sorry, but you asked

notsoteenagemum Sat 06-Sep-08 19:30:36

I love Rorie but not keen on Aurora, I like Lydia, Bella reminds me of tweenies, the cat on fireman sam and pasta

littlemissbossy Sat 06-Sep-08 19:31:28

BTW I think it's often a good idea to have a shortlist of names and when they're born you just know which one fits IYKWIM

Fimbo Sat 06-Sep-08 19:33:31

Aurora - horrible (sorry to any out there), Rorie - people will think she is a boy.

Lydia lovely

Bella will assumed to be shortened from Isobella/Isabella etc.

Bella Emberg anyone?

GO WITH LYDIA

EllieG Sat 06-Sep-08 19:33:33

Bella Bella Bella! Is such a wonderful name. I reeeeallly wanted it for DD but was outvoted cos it didn't sound great with surname.

But - handy tip - don't tell people the names you love until baby has it. Otherwise they are free with their criticisms and you will not feel able to use. I just said to people in end that I was keeping it a secret.

EllieG Sat 06-Sep-08 19:34:15

Bella is a name in it's own right too. Italian or something meaning beautiful.

PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 19:34:55

I love either Aurora or Bella.

I have a shortened Bella myself so I am biased.

Stars22 Sat 06-Sep-08 20:22:37

Lydia !!!

LaDiDaDi Sat 06-Sep-08 20:24:28

Lydia or Bella.

I liked both Aurora and Aurelia whilst pregnant and I really dislike them now.

Janni Sat 06-Sep-08 20:24:55

Lydia. No contest. Bella is a tweenie and Aurora is a floaty trustafarian.

Anglepoise Sat 06-Sep-08 20:28:20

Like Bella (actually, I love Stella, but it doesn't go with our surname), Lydia and Aurelia, not keen on Aurora.

MrsMattie Sat 06-Sep-08 20:29:44

I like all of them, but Bella is my fave.

fanjolina Sat 06-Sep-08 20:31:41

Lydia is lovely but the two girls at our school named that were always taunted with the ryhming name "Chlamydia"

dinkymum Sat 06-Sep-08 20:33:22

Lydia and Bella equally

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Sat 06-Sep-08 21:02:51

I love Lydia. It's not that popular, it's pretty without being frilly, and it's elegant without being pretentious. I really love it.

Aurora with Rorie for short is horrible. Sorry. Aurelia is a bit softer.

Bella is pretty. I'd use it as a nn for Annabella. Or Gabriella.

frazzledoldbag34 Sat 06-Sep-08 21:38:33

Lydia is lovely - really really nice
Aurora - pretentious, don't like it sorry
Bella - ok but nice if its short for Arabella, Isabella etc

Guess which I'd choose (and which is on my list!)

GodzillasBumcheek Sat 06-Sep-08 21:54:27

Bella = Tweenies, sorry

Lydia...ok i guess but for some reason i don't like it

Aurora - Storm's name in X-Men (i love X-Men so this isn't a bad thing IMO), and I love Rorie as a shortening, purely because it conjures up a little girl in dungarees and wellies, making mud pies in the garden - and what a beautiful full name for her to blossom into!

(ok actually that was a bit sickly and twee, but I DON'T CARE!)

halogen Sat 06-Sep-08 21:58:35

I vote for Lydia. It's gorgeous, classy, grown up and pretty at the same time. Aurora sounds like it's trying to hard and Rorie/Rory is a boys' name, I'm afraid. Bella is all right but I can't see why you wouldn't choose Isabella or Arabella and give her more options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now