Talk

Advanced search

So how do you handle it when someone gives their baby the same name

(16 Posts)
ButtonsUp Fri 05-Sep-08 23:01:40

as your baby?

Ds1 best friend has the same name.

Ds2 is 8 months old and ds1's best friend's mum has called her new baby the same name as my ds2, despite having told me she was going to be calling him something completely different.

I am not really really annoyed but am mildly irritated (i know i dont have ownership of the name).

Also my ds's have the names in thier full forms, where as I know i her ds's name is actually the shorter form and her text said the shortened form too.

I text her back saying what a fantastic name choice and how thrilled we all are for her happy news. So i played nice but am a little miffed.

harpomarx Fri 05-Sep-08 23:04:16

hang on, you mean your friend has called both her children the same as yours?

PinkTulips Fri 05-Sep-08 23:05:51

it would annoy me slightly too as i've forgone using a few names i love on the grounds that friends and aquaintances have kids with those names and it would be weird.

ButtonItBitch Fri 05-Sep-08 23:08:55

Well the first one was before we knew eachother so i let that slide. She was going to call her new baby louie so i guess it is best for the child she called it same as my ds2.. although it just feels a bit rude that she had told me what she was calling him and so did her dp and then they just text me to say xxx has arrived.

When i was preg i didnt know at first if boy or girl and i had picked out the perfect girls name, our close friends had their baby and used that name, then my second choice was picked by my cousin. I ended up with a boy which is great but i wouldnt have used the same girls names.

ButtonItBitch Fri 05-Sep-08 23:09:22

lol at me letting it slide grin how stroppy am i lol lol

gigglewitch Fri 05-Sep-08 23:11:04

have had a best friend call her lo the same as ds1. after being miffed for a short time i then thought what similar taste we have - and this applies to lots of things so can be a good thing.

we refer to her ds as LittleOscar, whilst mine [3yrs older] loves his title of "bigOscar" grin. 4 years on, it is nice!

ButtonItBitch Fri 05-Sep-08 23:12:10

aww giggle that is sweet. But there is only 8 months between ours...

Brightfield Fri 05-Sep-08 23:18:10

It depends what the name is. If it's something like Max, I would let it go. But if it's Wilf or the like then yes, I would be miffed.

gigglewitch Fri 05-Sep-08 23:20:52

at 8mo i have to say i would be well miffed. depends what your friends motives, iyswim [am i being a Proper Witch now?blush ]

BalloonKnot Fri 05-Sep-08 23:21:44

It is .. do i say?

Samuel. So not totally unusual but she was going to use a different name. Even just last week she was set on another name.

gigglewitch Fri 05-Sep-08 23:23:56

old cliche - take it as a form of flattery? hmm

BalloonKnot Fri 05-Sep-08 23:24:11

She isnt really a mate mate, her ds and my ds like eachother. She is nice enough, but we arent besties.

I could be bitchy about her original name choice and its allience to toilets so perhaps is best for all but grrrr, especially more for my other ds who loves little bother wink and will be annoyed as it will get confusing. I guess i could call mine the cute one but that is just plain mean grin

Brightfield Fri 05-Sep-08 23:25:28

Wow, lots of user names.

If she has just used Sam then I wouldn't be annoyed. I know it sounds cheesy, but i'd take it as a compliment.

PS - Louis is a great name :0)

BalloonKnot Fri 05-Sep-08 23:28:20

sorry about name changes am trying on new ones (diff thread as had same one for 4 years and frankly got bored).

She has just used Sam and I will step away fromt he louis comments grin.

Thing is ds1 is a longer name and now he is 8 starting to shorten at times although he prefers it longer, and likely will do the same with our Samuel if that is what he wants.

Brightfield Fri 05-Sep-08 23:31:43

Oh yes, I would definitely go for the longer name every time. My friend has just had a Sam and I had to painfully hold back with the 'how about putting Samuel on his Birth Certificate?' comment.

ButtonMeUp Fri 05-Sep-08 23:34:14

perhaps it is a spelling issue
<snurk>

God i shouldnt bitch as is great she has a healthy baby boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now