Talk

Advanced search

Help me decide

(26 Posts)
reban Thu 04-Sep-08 14:21:40

Due DC4 in Dec and have had a boys name quite firmly decided on from the beginning, Christian David, however not so firm on girls name. In the past i have had Joselyn Elizabeth or Heather Elizabeth as girls name choices but last 2 were boys. Anyway i still love both of these names so i would like opinions on them please, for and against

dizzydixies Thu 04-Sep-08 14:23:14

prefer Joselyn to heather but just my opinion

you could shorten it to Joss or josie whilst wee but she has a lovely name for when she's an adult

Elisabeth always a classic winner smile

rosealbie Thu 04-Sep-08 14:23:25

I have friends with a daughter called Heather and I think it's lovely, quite unusual now. I am not so keen on Jocelyn but like Joss for a boy!

moopymoo Thu 04-Sep-08 14:23:47

yes, like them all. Hannah Elizabeth was our girls name - my 2 grandmas. But I had 2 ds. so we decided it wouldnt suit them...

mamalovesmojitos Thu 04-Sep-08 14:36:13

love heather elizabeth.

don't like joselyn. think it sounds brash, not sure why. sorry!

AccipeHoc Thu 04-Sep-08 15:09:35

Ok, will comment

Joselyn Elizabeth - Jocelyn with a S is going to be mispelled. It's unusual but not strange, so it has that in its favour. I hate Josephine but I do quite like Posy and Josie which I suppos you could use as nns. Elizabeth seems more blah in the middle than it does in the number one slot. As the first name, it could be Eliza, Eli, Lizzy, Libby, Beth, Elsa..

or Heather Elizabeth - I like Heather. I know some people consider it dated, but I like it anyway, I also like Melanie and Jillian, so that wouldn't put me off a name. It's nature and it's unusual now.

Of the two Joselyn or Heather, I'd pick Heather. If you told me you were going to use the nn Posy for Joselyn though, I'd say Joseleyn.

reban Thu 04-Sep-08 17:07:43

Dont really do nicknames as none of our childrens names have been shortened so will only pick a full name i love. Elizabeth is middle name as it is a family name so that was the easy choice to make.
I really fell in love with the name Joselyn when i watched the film A knights Tale (think that was it) with heath Ledger .. the main female character is called Joselyn and said with a soft french accent it is beautiful. Issue with it is, will it automatically be shortened to Joss which i dont want to happen and i have a bit of a surreal association with the bride of Frankistein (sp) .. that crazy american woman who has had loads of plastic surgery to look like a cat is called Joselyn! hmm
But you have got the association of Heather Mills at the moment with Heather so i just dont know!
All my other children have fairly long, unusual but not strange names so i need it to fit with them to. They are Alannah, Gabriel and Francis.
Please carry on giving opinions xx

Weegiemum Thu 04-Sep-08 17:38:50

We have never shortened our children's names, and I really don't like (kind of cringe inside though it is people's perogative to name their children as they choose) shortened names as main names.

I like them both but probably Heather best, then Elizabeth, then Joselyn. I think you have to consider what would be a nn if friends decided to give one (we have been very firm with family - no nn's!).

Heather doesn't really shorten. Elizabeth has many variations! We have a Katherine, and it is partly because we thought that when she is older she can choose to be Katherine, or Kate, or Katie, or Kath, or Kathy, or Kitty .... etc

Not so keen on Joselyn, (or Jocelyn come to that). I really don't like Josie - I know someone who's dd has that as her given name and it makes me cringe every tie I hear it - luckily, not someone I know well (in law's in law).

I would go for Heather Eliizabeth.

Weegiemum Thu 04-Sep-08 17:40:38

Though without that modern twist of the double ii I just gave it!

3andnomore Thu 04-Sep-08 18:14:43

I prefer Josephine....but Joselyn is nice!

ethanchristopher Fri 05-Sep-08 11:04:26

heather elizabeth flows more

and is much prettier grin

LadyThompson Fri 05-Sep-08 11:31:26

Hey Reban! Never seen Jocelyn spelt Joselyn, but know it can also be used as a name for a boy so perhaps that is Jocelyn?? Anyway, I think it's a really lovely name - unusual without being weird - so I would definitely go with that over Heather, which I am less keen on. But Elizabeth is a nice middle name (at least you know it will never be shortened as a middle name, and that's good because it's so pretty that I always think it's a shame when people are Liz, Lizzie, Beth etc).

rosmerta Fri 05-Sep-08 11:33:37

Must admit I prefer Heather Elizabeth, Heather's a hard name to shorten if you don't like nicknames.

I wouldn't worry about the Heather Mills association, it will probably have dropped off the radar by the time your dc is born!

reban Fri 05-Sep-08 17:01:47

Hi LT i think it can be spelt quite a few different ways but if i was going to use it i would have to find out which way was for which sex!

reban Sat 06-Sep-08 18:56:28

bump

HonoriaGlossop Sat 06-Sep-08 19:30:58

How about Hester Elizabeth? I think it's prettier than Heather and it doesn't have the Mills-McCartney thing!

reban Sun 07-Sep-08 14:27:46

Sorry i dont really like Hester - reminds me of uncle hester from the adams family (am i making that up?).
I do like Esther but that has been vetoed.
Am really struggling now because dp has admitted he is not keen on either hmm

Bisou Sun 07-Sep-08 15:31:35

Aw they're both lovely names reban. I have a slight preference for Heather Elizabeth if it comes to a vote though smile

Bisou Sun 07-Sep-08 15:34:56

heehee I just read your previous post - I think you may be thinking of 'uncle Fester'? (snaps fingers twice)

Janni Sun 07-Sep-08 15:49:21

Elizabeth. Don't really like the other two sad

reban Tue 09-Sep-08 13:30:57

Ok still not sure about either of my choices but now we are considering Honour hmm

SummerLightning Tue 09-Sep-08 13:44:04

I vote Heather Elizabeth.

Hester makes me think of Hester the molester (think this came from a John Irving novel?)

Elizabeth is my middle name so I like it grin

Tortington Tue 09-Sep-08 13:45:01

Eliza

HonoriaGlossop Tue 09-Sep-08 14:00:13

Honor ( I think that's the more usual spelling) is just lovely. Go for it!!!

reban Tue 09-Sep-08 15:17:51

I do like Honour but i pronounce it without the H and my dp thinks its with the H and will it go with Elisabeth as this is def our choice of middle name? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now