Talk

Advanced search

Matilda, when my dh is called Matthew...

(23 Posts)
oddsock Tue 02-Sep-08 15:00:37

or is that just silly?

Not to call baby after dh, I just like the name.

gladders Tue 02-Sep-08 15:04:20

will she be Tilly or Matilda? Personally think Matthew and Matilda might be a bit much?

stillstanding Tue 02-Sep-08 15:05:49

I think they are totally fine. Go for it.

fryalot Tue 02-Sep-08 15:07:42

I think they're fine.

Unless of course, you are planning on calling them both Mat for short, in which case NO!!! wink

oddsock Tue 02-Sep-08 15:08:44

Not even sure I'm pregnant yet but crossing everything blush

I like Tilly for a little girl, then she could grow into Matilda.

Like lots of boys names but struggle with girls.

Sorry, have spent all day indulging in baby daydreams and reading MN!!

fryalot Tue 02-Sep-08 15:09:46

I love Matilda, always have. dp won't have it because of what it is apparently ozzie slang for. My position is: we're not actually in Australia, and it's a lovely name

Fingers crossed that you have a little Tilly on the way grin

oddsock Tue 02-Sep-08 15:10:27

What's it slang for???!!

fryalot Tue 02-Sep-08 16:41:31

not sure - something to do with sex. Perhaps a prostitute? Not 100% sure. The song "waltzing Matilda" is about the singer having a shag I think. I'll ask dp later, he's the expert hmm

wink

belgo Tue 02-Sep-08 16:44:53

I don't see why not, if they are names you love.

belgo Tue 02-Sep-08 16:51:00

Both dd1 and I have names beginning with the same letter. People occasionally get our names confused, but that's no problem.

Dh and DD2 also happen to have the same first letter of their names. Also no problem.

We didn't do that deliberately though!

cardy Tue 02-Sep-08 16:54:00

I like it. I know a couple of siblings with the same initial - Lilly and Louis, Maisie and Matthew.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 17:01:11

They are both lovely names, but there is a danger they they would both get called mat/mattie by their respective school friends.

Too similar imo and might be construed as a lack of imagination.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 17:02:31

sorry, just realised it's your DH that is Matthew, I was thinking DS.

In that case, no problems with that at all....go for it, tilly is a lovely name.

allgonebellyup Tue 02-Sep-08 17:08:19

i have a Tilly , her real name is Matilda - but she has never been called Matty/Matt, it just doesnt roll off the tongue.

by the way, dont nick my kid's name!

DumbledoresGirl Tue 02-Sep-08 17:08:44

Married to an Ozzie. A Matilda in Oz is a swagman's bundle. Nothing rude about according to dh.

I think it would not cause any problems calling a dd Matilda and having a dh called Matthew. I too thought for a while that you had a ds called Matthew in which case it would have been a bit unfortunate IMO.

Good luck with being/getting pregnant.

TillyScoutsmum Tue 02-Sep-08 17:10:39

I don't think it would be a problem. There's a possibility I suppose of her choosing to be a Mattie at some point though

Lovely name smile

oddsock Tue 02-Sep-08 17:11:38

Thanks, no not ds - that would be weird! My ds and dd have quite different names,just pondering what to call no 3 if/when something happens!

pointydog Tue 02-Sep-08 17:24:28

Too samey.

Jux Tue 02-Sep-08 17:28:16

I think it's lovely. I love the name, full version and shortened. Great, go for it.

bikerunski Tue 02-Sep-08 18:40:53

It's unlikely though that you, or she, or close family and friends, would choose to call her Matt/Mattie, if that is what her dad is known as though. Tilly and Tilda are much more usual nn for Matilda.

fryalot Tue 02-Sep-08 18:44:34

aha, a swagman's bundle. So we can call our next girl Matilda grin

<<<tries to get up the duff again>>> wink

nooka Tue 02-Sep-08 18:45:46

I prefer to have different initials, esp. as dh and I have the same one. But not a big problem I would have thought.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 02-Sep-08 18:52:03

initials can be a problem; my mum and I had the same ones...it just gave her an excuse to open my mail hmm

and with DH and I it gets confusing as well. He is Mr S J Surname and I'm Mrs J Surname and we're forever opening each other's mail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now