Talk

Advanced search

Would you not name your child a particular name just because it's become really popular?

(54 Posts)
laweaselmys Mon 01-Sep-08 11:17:30

DP and I have been picking out baby names for out 12 wk old bump somewhat ahead of ourselves, and the boys name we have chosen is almost definitely the one as we've liked it for years. But it's also not that popular it's in the top 50 boys names, fairly near the bottom! I like that about it. That it's not going to stand out that much but that their almost certainly won't be another boy he knows with the same name.

The girl's name we really like for family reasons, but is now no. 7 in the UK girls names list, and I hate the fact that there would probably be so many other little girls called it and it will somehow seem less 'special' but I can't work out if this is enough to stop me wanting to use the name.

The names are Leo and Lily by the way. (So you can judge, huzzah!)

nush32 Mon 01-Sep-08 11:25:16

Like both those names! But, know what you mean about being put off by popular names. I had my DS' name decided years before his conception (Isaac) coz I always loved the name...but as it came close to his arrival the name popped up all over the place. Still went with it though, it suits him. Your Lily will be special because she's yours. Congratulations, by the way!

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 01-Sep-08 11:44:35

Love your names.
Yes, there are lots of Lily's around but surely that just means it's a nice name?
If you are worried about its popularity you could always tweak it slightly to make it Lillian or Liliana / Lilyana? Or go for Leona or Leonie for a girl?

In my experience (having 2 DD's) sometimes you pick a name that you haven't heard a child called in years and then suddenly they are all over the place. Not sure why/how this happens, it just does. So whatever you pick could, theoretically be popular in a few years time however careful you are in choosing...........
if you like them just use them (is what I'm trying, in a roundabout fashion to say!)
Good Luck!

cece Mon 01-Sep-08 11:46:37

When we chose we only used names outside of the Top 50. DD's name is a real name but quite unusual. Many people asked us if we had made it up for instance hmm, which did shock me at the time.

However, there is another one in her school.... so you can never tell!

ForeverOptimistic Mon 01-Sep-08 11:47:26

It would not put me off. I like the name Isabella but I have lost count of the number of people that have pointed out to me that it is very popular these days. I mean fgs I don't live on another planet I know it is popular would they prefer I went for something like Sunbeam just to be different? hmm

TillyScoutsmum Mon 01-Sep-08 11:49:59

I'd chosen Matilda as a girl's name years ago because it was my lovely Nan's name. When I first liked it, it was very uncommon but now, it is a lot more popular but it didn't stop me using the name. I haven't yet met another one (but dd is only 16 months so suspect there may be a few around at school).

Leo and Lily are both lovely names btw

Hulababy Mon 01-Sep-08 11:50:55

No, it doesn't bother me if my child's name sis popular or not. I chose a name because I like it, and just that reason.

I grew up with a very popular name int he 70s. But it was never a problem, and certainy never anything that held me back or made issues at school.

DD has a reasonably popular name too, according to the name lists, although her spelling (although a correct spelling form) is a little less well used. However, DD is still the only child we know with the name, there are no others in her school, and no others in any classes she has been to. We know of two adults with the name, that's it.

I really like the name Lily, it is very pretty. I would use it, regardless of popularity. And FWIW I don't know of any Lilys round here either, neither babies nor adults.

Backgammon Mon 01-Sep-08 11:54:53

I've always loved Amelia and have only known one person with this name. It surprised me when we went to register dd that it was number 10 in the most popular list but didn't make me think twice about using it. It just means it is popular because lots of people like it.

RubyRioja Mon 01-Sep-08 11:55:25

yes

NotDoingTheHousework Mon 01-Sep-08 11:57:41

Message withdrawn

NotDoingTheHousework Mon 01-Sep-08 11:58:32

Message withdrawn

mrsmalumbas Mon 01-Sep-08 11:59:41

I would to be honest. DD2 is called Ellen, and starting school with her in Sept is an Ellie, Ellie, Ellie, Ellie, and Ellie! I am just thankful now we didn't call her Ellie, although Ellen is close enough! Your choices are both lovely names though. Lily is certainly quite popular but Leo I think less so. If you like it, then go for it, but be aware that when she gets to school she may be one of several!

Hulababy Mon 01-Sep-08 12:23:57

NotDoingTheHousework - that is DD's name too, but spelt ie at end. As said before, we also don't now any others.

hatrick Mon 01-Sep-08 12:28:20

Message withdrawn

pamelat Mon 01-Sep-08 12:53:02

Both lovely names

I wanted to call DD Grace, have loved that name for years and years but was no1 or something!

We opted for Ella which is still really popular/common but just wanted to avoid top 3 names really.

hanaflower Mon 01-Sep-08 12:54:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jellybeans Mon 01-Sep-08 12:59:28

Both really great names. My DS has a name in the top 20 and there are only two in the school. I just chose what I liked.

EachPeachPearMum Mon 01-Sep-08 13:22:06

It would put me off, but I think I'm in the minority!

I wouldn't choose any top 50 name - I have an uncommon name, and its good to be the only one in a school and known as just 'Penelope' rather than Claire A, Claire B, Clare T, etc.

FlightAttendent Mon 01-Sep-08 13:40:58

It would put me off tbh but I don't know why.

Rose was my top girl's name for years and years and then it got really popular as a middle name and now seems to be getting common as a first name, so I feel quite cross grin

FlightAttendent Mon 01-Sep-08 13:43:01

I think partly it's because I want to see my children as individual and if every time I talk to them I think about the seven other children I know with the same name, it kind of confuses me.

This doesn't make a lot of sense though...hmm

I don't know why it would bother me. It shouldn't matter at all.

Fimbo Mon 01-Sep-08 13:44:55

My dd's name was very popular when we named her 10 years ago, but I didn't put me off, especially as it was the only name I liked and I had the name for a girl a very very long time before I even became pg.

Now 10 years on we now no-one else with the name.

Charlee Mon 01-Sep-08 13:49:24

My DS's are jack and Harry and if i ever decided to go for number 3 it will be either Hiedi or Phoebe (probably Phoebe) for a girl and Freddy or Leo for a boy.

All very, very common especially jack and Harry but i love them so i'm not bothered how many others there are about.

I think when it comes to name choosing its all down to wether you both like the name regardless of how popular it is. my mates just called her daughter Chelsea Jean for instence which i personally don't like but she loves it so she went for it.

angel1976 Mon 01-Sep-08 13:54:11

Both are lovely names! I love Lily... :P

But I totally understand where you come from. My DH is a Richard and very, very popular for that generation (I know about a dozen Richards in their 20s/30s!) but that name is now in complete decline!

My DS was going to be Oliver but when I saw just how popular it has been (top 5 in England for the last 5 years!). We decided against it and went for a name in the low 40s now that we both love and we now think it really suits him. I am glad we didn't call him Oliver as I have so far met 3 in toddler groups but none with his name! So yes, it would bother me. There are so many names out there, I am sure you will be able to find another you love as much. If not, stick to your guns!

Miaou Mon 01-Sep-08 13:56:42

<<whispers>> Ok Charlee but please spell it Heidi and not Hiedi wink

I changed my mind on this. Dd1 was named Caitlin which at the time she was born and where we lived, was almost unheard of. We now live in Scotland where Caitlins are ten a penny grin. Dd2 has a very unusual name, ds1 and ds2 more popular names.

Originally I really wanted unusual names for my kids - mainly because I remember having three Sarahs, two Lisas, three Marks and two Andrews in my class at school. And they were known as "fat Lisa and thin Lisa" etc, and I didn't want my child to be differentiated by a cruel adjective! However in the end we just went for names we really liked.

juneybean Mon 01-Sep-08 13:57:39

Yes, I really liked the name Alphie but now theyre everywhere so I've gone off it :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now