Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dp and I trying for baby, give me names to suggest before MIL puts her suggestions forward

(30 Posts)
shoot Sat 30-Aug-08 14:38:02

She tried to name my baby last time so this time I feel it's important to decide before hand on a few names to suggest to DP as soon as I get pregnant and before MIl chips in.

I know the norm on MN is to go for names like Edward and James and Arthur, and those names are lovely for those children.

But I don't like old fashioned names for my children.

Please put as many suggestions forward as you can think of.

I already love Lucas for a boy but need more suggestions, and Liberty for a girl but needs loads more suggestions for girls too.

So astound me grin

combustiblelemon Sat 30-Aug-08 14:43:47

I'd just stick to 'Thank you for your suggestions, but you've already named your babies. Now it's my turn.' Otherwise you're giving her months to criticise your choices.

I love Lucas, not as keen on Liberty.

shoot Sat 30-Aug-08 14:50:41

How about Libby?

suedonim Sat 30-Aug-08 14:52:26

I'd be very bland in my replies to her eg 'Thank you for those suggestions, we'll bear them in mind.' What you don't say is "and reject them". grin

shoot Sat 30-Aug-08 14:54:09

Haha I like that! grin

The thing is, even if she came up with the most amazing name in the world I wouldn't call the baby that because she's come up with it and she gets on my wick.

Plus I like the names to be something special between DP and I.

combustiblelemon Sat 30-Aug-08 14:56:23

Libby is nice.

combustiblelemon Sat 30-Aug-08 15:00:10

Suedonim's non-confrontational suggestion is much better blush

nickeldime Sat 30-Aug-08 18:13:30

Both Lucas and Liberty are currently trendy names. I think Lucas might be getting too popular and common: www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Lucas

AHB238 Sat 30-Aug-08 19:06:53

I love the name Lucas.

What about for a girl - Matilda? (Tilly or Mattie for short)
Martha? (reminds me of the stunning girl in Home and Away)

Liberty is nice and different but reminds me of a statue. Libby is nice for shorrt though.

eandz Sat 30-Aug-08 19:12:37

ha, my mil tried to do this throughout this pregnancy.

i've been smiling and pretending to think about her suggestions-- just because the woman is a saint in hiding and i feel bad that i haven't made a statue of her out of gold and sent it to some shrine. (i might one of these days).

frazzledoldbag34 Sat 30-Aug-08 19:22:39

Just refuse to discuss names with her? And if she suggests names just politely say you've already chosen and change the subject. She'll soon get the message...grin
Will give suggestions a thought (am also thinking up names for my prospective next DC - might even be pg but don't know yet!!!! ) grin
Anyway sorry don't want to hijack, will give it some thought and get back.....

TwoFirTreesToday Sun 31-Aug-08 10:49:07

Trinity
Luthur
Lance
Soraya
Vanda
Morton

do you think she influences your husband, perhaps without him realising how much? I went off a couple of names I had really liked because MIL 'loved' them, ho hum, lol.

loobylu3 Sun 31-Aug-08 11:05:29

Hi shoot.

I actually like 'old fashioned' names like Arthur, George, Joseph, etc as they are classic and don't really go out of fashion but I actually have a DS called Lucas.

My DH and I have v different taste in names and this was a compromise as I felt that is was a traditional name with a proper meaning but rather unusual (at least it was at the time). Of course since we named him it has become far more popular and perhaps a little 'of the time.'

Anyway, our Lucas is lovely and there aren't any others at nursery or school.

Perhaps if you tell us your other DC's name and more names that you like it might give people a little more idea of your taste and could maybe suggest a few more names!

shoot Sun 31-Aug-08 12:15:32

DS is Kaden.

I like Cole aswell.

For a girl I like Brooke and Halli.

Other than that I'm a bit stuck!!

frazzledoldbag34 Sun 31-Aug-08 13:17:51

Jordan
Joel
Ethan
Bradley
Justin

Topaz
Lola
Jodie
Alisha
Jade

I quite like Cole, but not keen on Halli - where on earth did you get that one from.
And don't wish to offend but is Kaden a real name?

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 13:31:53

for Boys I like:
Flynn
Yannic
Sven
(those 3 are teh names of my 3 ds's )

also like:
- Noah ( my dh would not let me have that name )
- Jesse
- Dominic
- Aaron
- Aiden
- Christopher
- Declan
- Duncan
- Eric
- Finlay
- Henrik
- Jake
- Kane
- Logan
- Liam
- Leon
- Miles
- Mason
- Mitchell
- Nicolas
- Oliver
- Phillip
- Robyn
- Shane
- Vernon
- Vincent

Girls:
- Anoushka
- Carissa
- Darcy
- Esme
- Gina
- Josephine
- Lina
- Lydia
- Larissa
- Madita
- Magdalena
- Maria
- Nell
- Orla
- Olivia
- Shana
- Selina
- Tatyana
- Yvonne

hollyandnoah Sun 31-Aug-08 13:46:14

My mil was soooo against my name i sometimes cringed for her!
I only have one ds, he is 8 months and called Noah. I picked the name right from the start. He was going to be Emma or Matilda if he was a girl.
BUT it 27 weeks i had the 3d scan so we knew we had a little noah! From then 'baby' became a boy.
Everytime another person asked me or dp what we planned on naming the baby and she would but in 'jesus or joseph or something like that' You could see the other members like hmm at her though, so i knew i wasnt just being over sensitive! She wanted him to be called Dougie after her father or Alexander after Alexander the Great (!!)
Anyway i'm going on!! My point is just ignore her! Say thanks but no thanks!
It's your turn to choose the name, she's had hers!

hollyandnoah Sun 31-Aug-08 13:47:06

oo i forgot to say, i love Liberty it's really pretty! But i'm not too keen on Lucas.

x

hatrick Sun 31-Aug-08 13:56:23

Message withdrawn

Mamazon Sun 31-Aug-08 14:03:35

tell her you have already decided and wont be swayed.

if she presses you say that you have decided on Smirnoff for a girl and Carlsburg for a boy.

she will be so horrified that whatever you do actually choose she will be gratefull for.

hollyandnoah Sun 31-Aug-08 14:19:39

lol mamazon

Quattrocento Sun 31-Aug-08 14:22:57

Bird and animal names are in vogue on MN right now.

Following on from the suggestion of Bear, I give you

Tiger
Kitten
Giraffe (suitable for either gender)
Dolphin (ditto)
Jay
Robin

shoot Sun 31-Aug-08 23:32:35

frazzle- lots of kadens nowadays. Not to be mistaken for Jayden or anything of the sort.

Oooo I think Tiger Giraffe Dolphin montgomery would be maaaaaaaaaarvelous dahhhling. grin

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 01-Sep-08 10:34:46

Gosh sorry shoot - it's just I hadn't heard of any before.
My DD has just started nursery and there is a little boy called Boyd there - anyone else heard that before? He's the second one I know of.

frazzledoldbag34 Mon 01-Sep-08 10:36:46

And by the way I think Tiger is actually quite nice! blush
Perhaps not coupled with Giraffe, Dolphin tho!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now