Talk

Advanced search

Struggling for a boys name - I love Maddox but will people think I'm a celeb wannabe?..

(42 Posts)
Roca Sat 30-Aug-08 13:03:13

Have got 2 fairly unusual kids names already so don't want anything too 'normal' and have 19 nieces and nephews who have taken up loads of names I like.

Just really stuck for a boy but always liked Maddox - would people think I was a knob?!

Also like Nate....

lulumama Sat 30-Aug-08 13:04:46

your baby and your name, if you already have unusually named DCs people will be less inclined to think it is sleb induced nobbishness!

HTH! grin

silentmadge Sat 30-Aug-08 13:07:17

I would assume Maddox was celeb-induced tbh. Nate is very nice though, unusual but not weird (though a little American sounding). Could always give him Nathan/Nathaniel as a formal name that he could use later if he wanted.

belgo Sat 30-Aug-08 13:09:39

Yes Maddox would just make me think of Brangelina.

Nate is good, very unusual but also cool.

Roca Sat 30-Aug-08 13:10:20

One of my nephews is already Nathan (told you they had used up all my names) but he is never associated with Nate so thought could do that (and he is 22 so not like the same age)

I agree with both of you....

PeppermintPatty Sat 30-Aug-08 13:12:11

Love Nate, reminds me of the v good-looking guy in six feet under
Not so keen on Maddox TBH

cheesychips Sat 30-Aug-08 14:44:49

Maddox too 'wannabe'
Nate is cool.

laidbackinengland Sat 30-Aug-08 14:58:26

How unusual are you willing to go ? I'd be inclined to call him Ignatius , which you could shorted to 'Nate' or 'Iggy'....mind you I three DS's with rather odd names wink

MouseMate Sat 30-Aug-08 18:13:24

Or go Welsh - Madoc, a Welsh Prince, who is reputed to have discovered America in 1170.

It's my boys name - If I ever persuade dh to keep his promise....

HonoriaGlossop Sat 30-Aug-08 18:27:51

Madoc is lovely, much classier than Maddox (forgive me, Brangelina)

Mad is such a cute nickname!

zippitippitoes Sat 30-Aug-08 18:32:07

well i didnt know of any celebrity connection so that wouldnt have occurred to me

i thought of ford madox brown immediately

i think its a ncie name

hatrick Sat 30-Aug-08 18:38:21

Message withdrawn

frazzledoldbag34 Sat 30-Aug-08 19:17:39

I like Maddox. Knew a girl at school with that as her surname and she was lovely.
Also like Nate.
Either is good, IMO

frazzledoldbag34 Sat 30-Aug-08 19:18:41

Sorry just reaslised I didn't answer your question about sleb wannabeeness....
I say no, its not because of the sleb connection so if anyone says that to you just set them straight!!!

Tutter Sat 30-Aug-08 19:20:58

maddox will absolutely think you have been inspired by brangelina

nate or gage if you like that kind of thing

Tutter Sat 30-Aug-08 19:21:48

that should read:

maddox, yes people will absolutely...

Janni Sat 30-Aug-08 20:08:43

I like the Madoc suggestion. OP keeps the sound she likes without the accusation of wannabe-ishness.

hw2004 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:44:36

Hmmmm, Maddox is not a bad name but I do think about the Jolie-Pitts. However, it may not bother you too much.

Am liking Nate though

Roca Sun 31-Aug-08 01:02:51

thanks for your thoughts everyone - I will keep thinking...

Ashantai Sun 31-Aug-08 01:50:13

Ooo i really like Nate! Is it wrong to have another baby and hope its a boy just so i can call him that??grin

nappyaddict Sun 31-Aug-08 02:48:17

love nate, maddox and madoc.

mou Sun 31-Aug-08 03:02:32

mmm. i like Nate but only cos my DS name, and he's (troubled) but absolutely gorgeous. couldn't find his mates this afters so he spent the afternoon entertaining a friends 3 yr old. i call him gorgeous boy, he calls me beautiful mummy...and says i'm cool (but a bit of a chav apparently!!) sic but makes me feel fab!

nickeldime Sun 31-Aug-08 05:11:12

From the popularity trend, it's clear that Maddox is popularized by Brangelina.. it was off the charts before: www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Maddox

Roca Sun 31-Aug-08 12:59:40

I could always say that he was named after my great grandfather from Wales (ok, we don't have a Welsh connection but hey ho!)

Glad you all like Nate though.

I have to confess my little boy is called Rocco (NOT after the celeb one) so think I Maddox may be pushing it - even though I do love it.

Roca Sun 31-Aug-08 13:00:32

Ashantai - I think that's a perfectly good reason to have another baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now