Talk

Advanced search

opinions please...

(15 Posts)
minkersmum Sat 30-Aug-08 11:22:25

Finally found a name for 3rd baby (our first surprise) that we both like.
Been really hard this time, i like names that aren't too popular, wouldn't want my child to have the same names as 3 or 4 class mates... but finding a boys name has been a nightmare. ONly boys name we both like is very popular in my opinion but its a shortened version of my dads name and i on that basis i love it but that basis only. Girls name im happy with but i feel its one of thoses love it or hate it names!

Here goes,

Thom for a boy, short for Thomas (doh!) after my dad, which is why i want it spelt that way.

Nora for a girl, spelt like this as first child in pre school year at nursery and i'm realising how goog it is to have a short name at this stage (he doesn't)

All opinions welcome.

If it had been an individual decision Dp would have chosen Euan or Edie and i would have chosen Flynn and Sage.

LaDiDaDi Sat 30-Aug-08 11:24:46

I really like Nora, very pretty, makes me think of Norah Jones although obv. spelt differently.

Thom is fine but he will spend his life telling people how to spell it.

Of the other choices I like Flynn and Edie best.

nickytwotimes Sat 30-Aug-08 11:25:01

Prefer Thom spelt as Tom, but lovely name.
Nora is also lovely.

Majeika Sat 30-Aug-08 11:27:22

Dont do Thom - he will spend the rest of his life saying 'Thom - spelt with an 'h'' and people will look at him with a hmm look wondering how to put an 'h' in Tom!!

Like Flynn and Edie a lot.

Like Tom

Nora is OK.

Ned
Nell

are my faves atm.

Mummyfor3 Sat 30-Aug-08 11:32:26

We wanted to name DS1 "Thom" and in fact after his birth told some people that was what he was called, so I obviously like it. However, after a day or so, we thought, like Majeika, that he is likely to spend the rest of his life correcting how is name is spelt (unless he became as famous as Thom Yorke-no sign of that yet grin) and changed it to "Tom". He is registered as "Tom", not "Thomas".

Love "Nora", in any spelling really.

minkersmum Sat 30-Aug-08 11:36:09

I like Nell too but DP is Neil and think its too similar, he'd love it tho!!

Ned def out for us as we are Scottish and well Ned in Scotland is just something you hope your kid will never be!! SDame as Chav in England! Sorry.

Keen to have Thom with an H, purely because it is short for Thomas. Don't think it matters having to tell people how to spell name as i am Jillian with a J not the usual G and its never bothered me. Doesn't offend me if people get it wrong either. With names like Ruaraidh and Hermione around Thom isn't that big a deal surely!!

Heated Sat 30-Aug-08 11:41:44

I love Nora smile. Part of me would be tempted to choose for Eleanor/Elinor and shorten it, but that's jmt. But lovely all the same.

I do like Thomas, Tom & Tomas but not Thom. As someone with a complicated surname, I would get fed up with the inevitable spelling errors and I always think of Thrombosis - sorry!

3andnomore Sat 30-Aug-08 11:42:27

I have a Flynn

Not keen on Thom in that spelling, it will cause endless confusion, I think....why not call Bubba Thomas?

As for Nora - hm, not sure about that one at all, better than Edie and Sage (sorry) and I don't actually dislike it, I just don't really like it that much neither, lol!

3andnomore Sat 30-Aug-08 11:43:57

oh, but Nell, that is a gorgeous name (but than, I actually like Nell Mc'Andrews....she seems so down to earth)

Nora spelled Norah somehow looks far pretter, by the way!

hatrick Sat 30-Aug-08 11:44:53

Message withdrawn

hatrick Sat 30-Aug-08 11:45:55

Message withdrawn

minkersmum Sat 30-Aug-08 11:50:16

Hatrick i was looking at your pictures last night, they are fab, love your little tombliboos (spelling!!) Is your house manic with all your wee ones?? How was the change from 2 to 3? My ds1 just turned 4 this month and dd 21 months, i was nervous until i saw your lovely pictures! How do stay sane??

minkersmum Sat 30-Aug-08 11:52:12

Also had Kitty on our list for a girl as i had a great Aunt kitty who was lovely!!

cheesychips Sat 30-Aug-08 14:48:13

Nell and Nora gorgeous but personally wouldn't do Thom (for all the reasons here) it always strikes me as pretentious to add extra letters (I KNOW i KNOW I'm a reverse snob or something similar and that is my problem not yours so if you love it....)

pointydog Sat 30-Aug-08 14:59:43

Thomas/Thom/Tom - good solid name, yes
Nora - hmmmm. I quite like it. I'm surprised.

Euan - ridiculously popular in Scotlasnf
Edie - ok
Flynn - ok
SAge - noooooo

Kitty - I like it, popular Scottish nickname

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now