Talk

Advanced search

name combo

(15 Posts)
rocketupbum Thu 28-Aug-08 21:25:31

I have about a week to go - convinced I am having DS2. Still not able to agree on a boys name choice. DS1 is Ralf and I love Hugh but DH says he is not sure. Please help - need push in right direction. Thanks ladies xx

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Thu 28-Aug-08 23:26:18

Hugh is a nice name!

Or - assuming you like old names - how about

George
Wilfred
Arthur
Alfred

DisplacementActivity Thu 28-Aug-08 23:31:18

Message withdrawn

Weegiemum Thu 28-Aug-08 23:33:32

I like Hugh - I know 2 (one in his 20's, one in his 40's) and they are both awesome men!

Don't lie Ralf. Just personal. Whenever I was sick as a kid my Dad called it "talking to ralf" - although, weirdly, I have also heard it referred to "talking to Hughie" (on the big white telephone!)

lollipopmother Fri 29-Aug-08 00:33:23

I was just about to say how about Hugo as well, seeing as it's close to Hugh.

3andnomore Fri 29-Aug-08 09:39:01

Hugh is lovely....

Weegie op's first son is called Ralf already....

branflake81 Fri 29-Aug-08 09:45:23

I think we have had the Ralph discussion on mumsnet before...for those who were Judy Blume readers as children it has another connotation altogether.

PussinWellies Fri 29-Aug-08 11:33:24

Yup, we in fact had 'calling Ralph and Hughie on the big white telephone'... might be best avoided as a combo.

Sunflower100 Fri 29-Aug-08 12:37:53

OPs DS is already called Ralf - shes not asking for opinions on Ralf - so negative ones at this stage are probably not helpful. I like Hugh and think goes well with Ralf.

frazzledoldbag34 Fri 29-Aug-08 14:29:56

Hugo better than Hugh I reckon.
Nice name choices . I approve [nods sagely]

spotty26 Fri 29-Aug-08 16:06:25

I can speak authoritatively on the subject of Hugh because my son is Hugh and he is mega cute.

We found that people either really enthused and loved the name or went, "Hugh, Right".

What is great is that it is traditional but not over popular right now and the famous Hugh's are all quite decent blokes (Jackman, Fearnley -Whittingstall, Huw Edwards (except for the funny lip sneery thing), Grant ( again forgetting misdemeanours with prozzies).

I love it (obviously) but will tell you some thoughts I have had on it since naming.

When you want to be stern, it is hard to be stern with a one syllable name.

We have tended to lengthen his name jokingly to Hubert, Hubes, Hughie. I had not heard the "to hughie" connotations until after he was names, which I think are american anyway and actually do not bother me. I have shocked myself by even calling the poor lad Hughie Pooey sometimes which I must try to stop!

Personally I think Hugo is a lot posher than Hugh and for us was not an option for that reason.

Anyway ringing endorsement from me!!

I am pg with number 2 and if a boy will probably be Alfred but Ralf has got me thinking now...

Good luck.

PinkyDinkyDooToo Fri 29-Aug-08 20:34:53

Agree with others that Hugo goes better with Ralf. Has the same kind of sound to it

ithinkimtallandblonde Fri 29-Aug-08 20:47:38

I LOVE Hugo its soo cute but dh wouldn't have it so we have a Max instead. Ralf is really sweet and i do think they go together but there was a Hugh in my class at school and i did always feel a little sorry for him as i didn't think it was a very cool name that said what do kids know and as my MIL says any child can make a name cool, she called her boys Jack, James and Charlie in the 80s when everyone thought they were names for old men.

catweazle Fri 29-Aug-08 21:06:54

Had you considered Guy? (similar sort of name)

(I like Hugh and Hugo btw)

rocketupbum Sat 30-Aug-08 09:04:05

Thanks ladies. Yes we already have a Ralf but am quite aware that some people don't like it! I was most worried about the puke conatations but I never heard them before my DH told me about them.
I think Hugo (although lovely) is a bit posh for us! Not sure why just a feeling.
Our top girls name is Sadie by the way - but I am pretty sure that this one is a boy.
Lovely to hear of real live Hugh Spotty. I like the nickname possibilities - although hughie pooey might be best avoided!
Just ready to meet the next family addition now. Hot curry and sex tonight me thinks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now