Talk

Advanced search

Poppy?

(63 Posts)
LadyThompson Thu 28-Aug-08 15:54:19

It's only for a middle name anyway. We were all decided but now DP wants to change it to this. I wasn't keen but my Mum mentioned quite by chance how much she loved it and that has made it more attractive to me grin I think it's quite cute but I'm wondering if it's a bit popular/hackneyed (doesn't really matter overly for a middle name though).

RGPargy Thu 28-Aug-08 15:55:06

I love it!

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 15:55:53

lovely. I prefer it as a middle name.

branflake81 Thu 28-Aug-08 15:55:56

It's very twee. I can't imagine taking anyone seriously with this name.

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 15:56:35

that's why it's better as a middle name branflakesmile

Marne Thu 28-Aug-08 15:57:04

I love it smile

Pinkjenny Thu 28-Aug-08 15:57:11

I wanted to call dd Poppy but dh wasn't having it. He said it was fine while they are little, but not as they get older.

Jackstini Thu 28-Aug-08 15:58:57

Dh & I both like this but the cat over the road is called it so it has come off the list for impending dc sad
Think it is a lovely middle name though - what was the original choice?

LadyThompson Thu 28-Aug-08 16:05:33

I want to know how popular people think it is, really. Other name for a middle name is Florence, which I preferred initially - also it's DP's Granny. However she is a) dead and b) he didn't like her all that much so I would have no qualms about him changing it to Poppy. She's having three names (yeah yeah, poncy I know but I don't care) and name 2 is his responsibility, so it's out of those two.

LadyThompson Thu 28-Aug-08 16:06:48

Oh, and she will be born in November (not the 11th though) so vague Armistice link...I guess...but a bit tenuous. Like I say, it's only a middle name so not going to have huge impact on her life!

rosealbie Thu 28-Aug-08 16:06:58

I know of one Poppy and one Florence (my niece) - really like them both, which isn't much help to you - sorry.

MrsMattie Thu 28-Aug-08 16:08:09

Not keen. Too cutesy. Florence is much nicer.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Thu 28-Aug-08 16:12:58

It's a pretty name but I agree that it does seem (although I can't really define why) more suited to a little girl than to an adult woman. Maybe because the y at the end makes it sound like a diminutive and I always think that Katy, Molly and similar names sound better on children than they do on adults.

That said, I like all flower names and this one doesn't seem overly popular to me - I can only think of two Poppies that I know of, one aged about 5 and the other about 16. If you and DH like it, then go for it. All opinions expressed here are just electronic hot air!

Pinkjenny Thu 28-Aug-08 16:13:21

My niece goes to school with a Poppy. I think that's the only one I know, other than my friend's dog.

Jackstini Thu 28-Aug-08 16:14:12

Prefer Poppy to Florence personally. Love the place but always makes me think of magic roundabout! blush

LadyThompson Thu 28-Aug-08 16:17:41

Well, I am not sure I'd pick it for a first name, nice as it is.

TBH I am actually reaching the point where I don't care anymore, hence post! I'm too lazy and pregnant to be arsed, especially as the other names are set. It worries me faintly that it is a dog and cat name, but how many of us really use our middle names for stuff anyway? Still, interested in your thoughts nontheless. Ta.

nailpolish Thu 28-Aug-08 16:19:21

my friend had her dd on Remembrance Sunday and so she gave her dd Poppy as a middle name.

i think it s lovely as a middle name

3andnomore Thu 28-Aug-08 16:20:46

one of my friends has a Babygirl called Poppy, and she is adoorable
Never was that keen on the name, tbh...but it so suits her and she is just such a cute munchkin....

3andnomore Thu 28-Aug-08 16:20:47

one of my friends has a Babygirl called Poppy, and she is adoorable
Never was that keen on the name, tbh...but it so suits her and she is just such a cute munchkin....

Imnotok Thu 28-Aug-08 16:20:57

My dd is Poppy and I really regret calling her that it is a cute name but I was sort of railroaded into calling her Poppy by Dp and DM .

She is my gorgeous little baby but I really wish I had stuck to my guns .

LadyThompson Thu 28-Aug-08 16:24:34

Aww, Imnotok...that's a shame. What did you want to call her? Maybe next time?

Imnotok Thu 28-Aug-08 16:27:34

I wanted to call her Eleanor or Molly but it wasn't to be

LadyThompson Thu 28-Aug-08 16:35:51

Oh dear, never mind...it's still a pretty name and I bet she is gorgeous anyway. If you have any more make sure you get first dibs!

nailpolish Thu 28-Aug-08 16:37:11

imnotok

dont worry - i know a doctor called Poppy - it really suits her and she is fab smile

Imnotok Thu 28-Aug-08 16:39:39

Well she has quite a good middle name "Louise" so she may use that .
If I have anymore I am not going to get whacked out on Gas and air and agree to silly things grin.

Dr Poppy I like it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now