Talk

Advanced search

Thomas and Toby?

(15 Posts)
Hoonette Thu 28-Aug-08 14:53:53

DS's name is Thomas; he's often called Tommy at the moment but I imagine this will change as he gets older.

Can we call the next child Toby, or is this too similar? And will it really cause postal issues with them having the same initial?

Finally, can we call the new baby Tobias Samuel? - the two s's run together and I'm worried it sounds a bit rubbish.

Would really appreciate your thoughts.

MrsMattie Thu 28-Aug-08 14:54:19

For me, Tommy & Toby are a bit too close.

buttercreamfrosting Thu 28-Aug-08 15:03:33

I know what you mean about the s's - it would bother me a bit too - but in reality how many times would you be saying the two together? I think both names are lovely - one of my ds is called one of them and the other was a close second! What about Samuel Tobias? Oh and I think Tommy and Toby sound fine together, but possibly not Thomas and Tobias.....

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 15:10:59

Tobias Samual sounds fine, certainly not rubbish.

Thomas and Tobias are similar, but I think they sound lovely together. So do Tommy and Toby.

MerryMarigold Thu 28-Aug-08 17:37:06

I don't like Thomas and Tobias together (think xmas cards!). Tommy and Toby not bad. I guess they will end up Thomas (or Tom) and Toby anyway as Thomas is easier to say in full version. Thomas and Toby is fine.

tortoiseshell Thu 28-Aug-08 18:19:47

Samuel Tobias is much better than Tobias Samuel, and it would be a PITA to have 2 boys with the same inital.

lotsoflovelychocolate Thu 28-Aug-08 20:34:38

I think Thomas and Tobias sound fine together and I like the name Tobias Samuel.

pointydog Thu 28-Aug-08 20:48:41

Too similar

Sorry but,

Thomas, Toby.........Gordon, Henry, Percy.

You'll end up being Sir Topham Hatt. wink

Boulders Thu 28-Aug-08 22:37:30

I prefer the name the other way too, Samuel Toby.

islandofsodor Thu 28-Aug-08 22:46:07

Thomas and Toby to me just says Thomas the Tank Engine.

But then again it would!!!

insywinsyspider Thu 28-Aug-08 22:55:54

I think they sound lovely together but I do prefer Toby to Tobias.... even if you called ds2 Tobias wouldn't you call him Toby more irl?

Tobias Samuel is also good - if you like it go for it, we have friends who's children are Sam and Ella and they don't care and neither does anyone else!

Hoonette Fri 29-Aug-08 06:19:01

Thanks for all your help, Mumsnetters.

We will definitely call DS2 Toby rather than Tobias, so it should end up as Tom and Toby.

Will have a think about calling him Samuel Tobias, known as Toby - this may be the solution!

After all this, I'm bound to have a girl, aren't I

hw2004 Fri 29-Aug-08 14:23:13

I am down to these 2 names as my final options so was interested in this thread. I don't think they are too similar sounding but much prefer Toby to Tobias - plus dh has grudgingly agreed to Toby but will not have tobias for some reason.

we're thinking Toby alexander.

Samual Tobias sounds nice but i'm not a samuel person tbh.

ethanchristopher Fri 05-Sep-08 17:38:21

i love it

dont call it tobias, it sounds relli pretentious and he'll get called toby anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now