Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ITS OK TO CALL YOUR CHILD THE "SHORT" VERSION OF A NAME - SO BOLLOCKS TO ALL YOU FARKING SNOBS WHO TURN YOUR NOSES UP!

(108 Posts)
MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:19:57

You know who you are!

<looks at cod>

I did this with DS (as in Archie rather than Archibald - but a completely different name) and MIL in particular went ON and ON about it - the long version of DS's name sounds a tad pompous and I DON'T LIKE IT.

I don't want to hear ANYBODY on MN bleat "oh don't call him Ben, it has to be Benjamin" etc again

<scowl>

tiredemma Thu 28-Aug-08 14:21:28

I have a Harry not a Harold and an Alfie not an Alfred.

Fimbo Thu 28-Aug-08 14:22:08

What's up MamaG.

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:22:32

<applauds tiredemma>

Harry and Alfie are MUCH nicer than Harold and Alfred!

You obviously know what I'm getting at - Harold and Alfred sound old

Fimbo Thu 28-Aug-08 14:23:43

Does Cod call her DS3 a shortened version of his name?

EachPeachPearMum Thu 28-Aug-08 14:24:34

Oooh! How did you do that big black line MamaG????

Gingerbear Thu 28-Aug-08 14:24:40

DD has a long name for High Days and Holidays
and for when I tell her off.

She likes her short name, but has the option of reverting to her long name when she passes her PhD and becomes a respectable lady.

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:24:43

fimbo - I'm a horrid hormonal bag of rage at hte mo! I'm being lovely to the DC (oddly) but needed a vent. I was feeling cross and pissed off and thinking about MIL wittering ON and ON about my DS's name when I had him angry

If she says ONE WORD about this baby's name I might just tell her to shove it!

scorpio1 Thu 28-Aug-08 14:25:22

oh i am v guilty of shortened names - 2 of mine are Jamie & Millie

other one is Reilly

scorpio1 Thu 28-Aug-08 14:26:17

you need chocolate, lady!

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:26:44

Gingerbear - some long names are lovely - I don't have a problem with giving a long name and then shortening it IYKWIM

e.g. I loved Amelia for a girl, shortened to Milly - I love both names so that would have been happy to use both.

Cod once, about a year ago, said she didn't approve of DS's name so I thought I'd add her to the OP (but I was only messing around really re cod)

Fimbo Thu 28-Aug-08 14:26:47

I see. I thought Cod had upset you.

Are you allowing us to know the name you have chosen?

FluffyMummy123 Thu 28-Aug-08 14:29:35

Message withdrawn

FluffyMummy123 Thu 28-Aug-08 14:29:54

Message withdrawn

rosealbie Thu 28-Aug-08 14:30:45

Well, had ds been a girl, he would have been Lottie and not Charlotte.

I totally love shortened names but have said before, that if you like the short name, why bother using the longer name at all?

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:31:57

No, Cod didn't upset me I was only messing

MIL did though the cowbag

I'll tell baby's name in birth announcement, I vowed NOT to mention it on here first because I'd get all nasty if anybody said they didn't like it! I don't htink anybody is horrid enough to say "congrats on the birth but EW what a horrible name" in a birth announcement!!

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:32:31

(I don't know any female Charlies btw! Or cats called Archie)

MrsMattie Thu 28-Aug-08 14:34:11

Sometimes it works. Other time sit just sounds daft (Hattie has to be Harriet, for instance!). Ok, that's just my weird little opinion, but there you go!

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Thu 28-Aug-08 14:34:49

i have a millie rather than amelia. though i wanted amelia it was vetoed by dh and dd1.

dh used to go on about dd1s name a lot. telling me it was a name i had made up angry so i know how you feel. my nana also told me that she was just going to call her melissa <the name she wanted for her> as she couldnt pronounce her name i chose. her name sounds nothing like melissa. she would delibaretly mispronounce her name at first but has given up now. my new fight with her name is over her changing her surname to dh's name if or when he adopts her.

Fimbo Thu 28-Aug-08 14:36:48

How long to go MamaG (more importantly how long do I have to wait for the announcement grin)

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:39:03

Funnily enough, now DS is 4 it doesn't bother me if anybody says "oh is he a [long version]?" as he suits his name.

When he was newborn, I felt fiercely protective over everything, inc his name.

Am more chilled 4 years down teh line!

Pinkchampagne Thu 28-Aug-08 14:39:04

Both of my boys have shortened names - the same names as tiredemma's boys as it happens! I love both names, but don't like the longer version of either name though.

MamaG Thu 28-Aug-08 14:40:55

Fimbo - due in 9 weeks.

If I have tgo have a CS (findout next week) he will be born in 8 weeks

If I DON'T have a CS I'll probaly go overdue again so will be 11 weeks until birth!

StayFrosty Thu 28-Aug-08 14:41:16

My dnephew is an Archie not an Archibald grin

What do people do when they have dcs with a long name which they get called the short version of btw? Do you register them at the doctors/dentists/schools as eg D'Orothea-Cecilia or Dorrie? Are you allowed to have one name on your birth certificate and just use another name as your common name?

Jux Thu 28-Aug-08 14:41:47

Some names just have to be shortened: Timothy simply cannot be used, for instance, you have to use Tim.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now