Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any thoughts on these Irish names?

(120 Posts)
ninja Tue 26-Aug-08 14:44:43

Dh Irish and DD1 has an Irish name - so I may regret this but gives us your views....

Girls

Maebh (Maeve)
Aine (Onya)
Molly (+DH's contribution - to my mind not really Irish but quite pretty)

Boys

Fionn (Finn)
Aodhan/Aidan
Fearghal/Fergal

Thanks x

captainmummy Tue 26-Aug-08 14:49:00

My prev boyfriend was Irish and I fell in love with the names Niamh (neeve) and sadhbh (Sive) for girls. I love the unusual spellings of Aine and Eodhbha (sp) (Eva).

Love Fionn but it might be taken for a girl - Finn is equally nice. Tadhbh (Tigh) was another choiice of ours (we broke up soon after naming our prospective babies sad) but I suppose we would have had to live in Ireland otherwise no-one would know how to pronounce it!

kormachameleon Tue 26-Aug-08 14:50:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ninja Tue 26-Aug-08 14:52:32

I like Niamh but know quite a few dc's of close friends.

DD1 is Caoimhe which seems to suit her and she copes really well with the unusual spelling/pronounciation but I have to say I'd prefer something a bit easier particularly for a boy (don't know why I don't think a boy would cope as well but...)

MrsMattie Tue 26-Aug-08 14:55:52

Love Maeve / Maebh (worth bearing in mind, the anglicised 'modern Irish' spelling of Maeve is more common than the Gaelic spelling, even in Ireland)

I like Molly, although it's not strictly Irish.

Not so keen on others.

Weegiemum Tue 26-Aug-08 14:56:25

My ds is Aidan - brilliant name, not common or popular, but strong, masculine, etc...

Go for it!

Communion Tue 26-Aug-08 14:56:50

I love Maeve and Molly and all the boys names you've listde.

I'd use the anglicised spelling unless you live in Ireland thogh, but that's only because i find the Irish spelling so hard. i guess yu don't have that problem.

PuppyMonkey Tue 26-Aug-08 14:57:14

You do appreciate that the child will probably end up explaining how to pronounce the name 50 times a day and all official letters etc will always be wrong (passport, driving licence, benefits etc) so they will probbaly be re-done 700 times..? You do? Oh, that's all right then?

<<speaks from experience of having a funny spelled Irish name>>

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Tue 26-Aug-08 14:58:28

I love Maeve and Molly. My favourite Irish name for a girl is Aoife. But I wasn't allowed it, as DH can't spell...

For boys, I wanted an Irish name too, but couldn't settle on one that DH could handle for either spelling or pronounciation!
But Aodhan is lovely, one of my faves.

Caoimhe is a beautiful name too.

snice Tue 26-Aug-08 15:04:56

How about Orla for a girl-no spelling probs

chipmonkey Tue 26-Aug-08 15:56:30

Unless you spell it Orfhlaith.

ninja Tue 26-Aug-08 17:31:56

I know about having to spell the name - dd is 5 and has been able to recite the spelling of her name since she was 2! She also knows that she'll get comments 'it's an unusual name' and since she was 3 has replied - 'it's an irish name'!

Saying that both my and Dh's surnames are constantly being spelt wrong (his is unusual, mine is close to a common surname).

I'm in 2 minds about Anglisized spellings though.

ninja Tue 26-Aug-08 17:32:36

Thanks for the comment by the way

brimfull Tue 26-Aug-08 17:34:02

How about Damnhait?

nailpolish Tue 26-Aug-08 17:36:36

Daire (Dara) is nice i think (boys name)

pointydog Tue 26-Aug-08 17:39:51

Maebh (Maeve) - ok
Aine (Onya) - quite like it, simple strong
Molly (+DH's contribution - to my mind not really Irish but quite pretty) - straightforward, wholesome name, reminds me of Yorkshire

Boys

Fionn (Finn) - like Finn a lot
Aodhan/Aidan - really like Aidan
Fearghal/Fergal - Feaghal Sharkey's a honey but I'm not too keen on the sound of this name. Reminds me of Graham

blowsy Tue 26-Aug-08 17:39:56

I think these names are OK-ish, but you'd be condemning your child to a life of correcting the spelling of their name and having it mis-pronounced.

Is sadhbh (sive) really a name? Is it pronounced sieve?

pointydog Tue 26-Aug-08 17:40:11

Aidan and Aine favourites

nailpolish Tue 26-Aug-08 17:40:54

ninja i see from your profile you live in england

therefore i agree with blowsy

AnnieAreYouOkAreYouOkAnnie Tue 26-Aug-08 17:45:00

sadhbh is really a name, blowsy, it's pronounce sigh-v.
I think it's beautiful.
But then I would.

Janni Tue 26-Aug-08 17:55:38

I like Maeve, Finn and Aidan. The Gaelic (?) spellings are tricky and if raised in England the child would be forever spelling out their name. Even a well known name like Siobhan is impossible for many people to spell, so I would go for the anglicised spelling if you can bear it.

molly or finn

soremummy Tue 26-Aug-08 18:00:51

Orla can also be spelt as Orlaith meaning golden princess

pointydog Tue 26-Aug-08 18:03:07

Agree re the spelling thing in Engerland.

Takver Tue 26-Aug-08 18:21:56

Is the spelling thing that bad? I have an Irish surname, this may sound silly but at least people know that they can't spell it and therefore ask. Whereas DH has a peculiar spelling of a common name, and is forever getting it spelt wrong on important docs even when he spells it out.
I would go for the proper spelling and make the most of it (I missed out on an Irish first name as my parents were worried about anti Irish prejudice).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now