Talk

Advanced search

Hector....

(33 Posts)
biscuitytrousers Sun 24-Aug-08 21:25:22

DH loves it and keeps suggesting it in lieu of any boys names i come up with. I am Greek and think it's a good strong name but too harsh sounding and don't want a name that some people absolutely hate. Thoughts please!!

Dragonbutter Sun 24-Aug-08 21:27:03

bit posh
cute for a boy
not so good for a man (but just my opinion)

castille Sun 24-Aug-08 21:28:07

I quite like it, it's quirky

Shitehawk Sun 24-Aug-08 21:29:11

Reminds me of Hector's House.

Not keen, but there have been worse names discussed here!

southeastastra Sun 24-Aug-08 21:30:48

no don't do it

helsy Sun 24-Aug-08 21:33:19

The only Hector I know is Greek.

dilbertina Sun 24-Aug-08 21:36:17

I love it but my DH vetoed it. (He vetoed that and I vetoed Ferris on his list)

pippylongstockings Sun 24-Aug-08 21:45:31

My DS1 is called Hector! Our surname starts with an H also and so we thought it sounded a really nice yet strong name. We have given him a typical english middle name to use if he wants later in life.

It did take us a month to settle on it though, it's srong but in a good ay imo.

Do it they won't be many others.

artichokes Sun 24-Aug-08 21:47:01

Its very old fashioned and posh but I love it smile.

Spatz Sun 24-Aug-08 21:57:58

I like it - cute

Wilkiepedia Sun 24-Aug-08 21:59:40

Awful (sorry)

AbbeyA Sun 24-Aug-08 21:59:58

I heard a child being called it in the supermarket and did a double take-I hadn't heard it before (outside fiction). I don't like it.

pippylongstockings Sun 24-Aug-08 22:12:49

AbbeyA where do you live? I am always shouting in the supermarket!!!

It is a bit 'Hector stop trapping the cats tail in the door....! and take you fingers out the plug socket!'

AbbeyA Sun 24-Aug-08 22:16:26

Southern England. He was actually a very sweet child-dark hair and huge brown eyes! Although I don't like the name, it did in fact suit him!

suwoo Sun 24-Aug-08 22:17:44

I went to school with one, would be 30 something now, think he may have been Greek? I like it.

mrswoolf Sun 24-Aug-08 23:11:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

3andnomore Mon 25-Aug-08 00:23:45

it is a name for a big dog...just as rufus, sorry

Twiga Mon 25-Aug-08 00:32:13

Like it but used to hearing as common enough up in the higlands and islands. The couple of Hectors I know are lovely and means it has positive overtones as a name for me.

nooka Mon 25-Aug-08 00:49:30

My dh wanted this when we were first dating. He was a classicist. I felt that Hector, although heroic came to a sad end. If you are Greek then I think you could definitely get away with it.

Califrau Mon 25-Aug-08 00:55:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

laluvsmatthew Mon 25-Aug-08 01:42:05

no when we were younger we would have said hector hard on or hector erector!

twentypence Mon 25-Aug-08 02:26:45

There is a Hector in ds's class - very lovely little boy and I've never really thought his name anything other than unusual.

We have Hector's dolphins in NZ - a lovely association for the word Hector.

MrsJohnCusack Mon 25-Aug-08 02:58:07

I like Hector but people will prob think it's 'posh' should you care about that. the dolphins are a lovey association - they're the smallest breed of dolphin or something, they are very lovely

my old dog's father was called Hector. As DD has the dog's name for a middle name and DS is called the same as my first cat, maybe I should add Hector to the list for theoretical DC3 to continue my dearly departed pets theme...

AbbeyA Mon 25-Aug-08 08:34:32

How is it shortened? Do they have to put up with Heck?

shootfromthehip Mon 25-Aug-08 08:48:09

I love, love, love Hector. It was our first choice for DS and the bump was refered to as Hector all the way throught the pregnancy. However, when he arrived in the world with bright red hair, we decided that we just couldn't give him something else to get a hard time for (we live in rural Scotland and the majority are a bit parochial in attitude- sorry but true). This also said, the name we did give him was unusual and very much hit or miss (Jonah- my mother's response- 'actually I just HATE it'- thanks mother).

Hector is very popular in Mexico and the only Hector's I have come across were Mexican. I love it for it's formal Englishness though. Do it- it's fab.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now