Talk

Advanced search

Not even pg but thinking hypothetically...

(7 Posts)
schneebly Sat 23-Aug-08 17:59:17

Righto - DH and I have just started TTC our 3rd. We have 2 boys already and both are named after family members - first and middle names. Does this mean we should continue in this vein? Would it be weird just to use names we like on a possible third child? There are plenty of nice family names but I am just trying to get some ideas together and not sure whether we should keep the 'theme' running or not. Whaddya think? grin Thank you.

Also..pre-children I made a stupid deal with DH that any boys we had he could name and I could name any girls we had (his idea) so of course we have had 2 boys which he has named - not names I would have chosen but nothing I wholeheartedly disagreed with. Do you think it is reasonable of me to insist he breaks the deal and let me name our 3rd (if we are blessed) whether it is a boy or girl? grin

MerryMarigold Sat 23-Aug-08 18:54:35

1. I think it is fine to break with convention. We have 1 ds and I am expecting twins. We have names for the twins. Ds and girl twin have non biblical names, ds2 will have a biblical name. I was wondering if it was weird for him to be the only one with a biblical name, but decided: who cares? It is a common enough name. So, think it is fine to break with convention. Maybe give him/ her a middle family name, so he doesn't feel totally excluded from family, but the first name is whatever...

2. DEFINITELY BREAK THE DEAL! I made this suggestion to dh when we discovered there was a baby of each sex, but have ended up naming both of them! (well, actually ds who is 2.5 came up with suggestion for ds2's name!!!). Dh really can't be unreasonable when he has had a chance to name 2 kids. Could also make it a 'family' decision if the older 2 are old enough to have an opinion on it.

giraffescantdancethetango Sat 23-Aug-08 18:58:54

Definetly break the deal, its your turn now

3andnomore Sat 23-Aug-08 21:53:04

break the deal..as for names after family...all our boys have 1 ranomly chosen first name, well, a name we agreed on, and then have 2 middlenames which have family connection to some extent.
would that be an option

schneebly Sat 23-Aug-08 22:37:16

sorry I disappeared! Thank you for your opinions grin Glad you think I should break the deal - DH will take convincing I bet!

Think the middle name as family name would be good smile

AbbeyA Sat 23-Aug-08 23:03:55

Break the deal-unless you are planning a big family!

schneebly Sat 23-Aug-08 23:08:25

No Abbey - I think this one will be the last one. He has to let me choose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now