Talk

Advanced search

Another plea for help with girls names...

(27 Posts)
zonedout Tue 19-Aug-08 14:03:23

ok, have about 10 weeks to go until dc2 makes an appearance and dh & i are still really struggling with girls names. i have a feeling i am having another boy (boys name sorted) but as this is based on absolutely nothing i probably need to be prepared...on my list are the following and i would really appreciate some honest (but not too nasty grin) opinions...

Rosanna

Edie

Martha (but dh not keen)

Lila (yes, yes, i am aware of the Kate Moss connection but do still think it is pretty)

I also adore the names Kitty, Nell & Clara but I don't think we can use them for various reasons. At a complete loss for middle names too (would like Helena after my grandmother but it doesn't go with any our first names or particularly our last name which ends in -er)

Many thanks in advance for any wise words!

JentlyDoesIt Tue 19-Aug-08 14:13:58

Love Edie and Martha (try and sway DH?)
Not sure about Rosanna but it is pretty

How about Rose as a middle name (not for Rosanna though obv )

mustsleep Tue 19-Aug-08 14:14:28

like martha

lila i like but prefer delilah and then you could always shorten it to lila wink

names i love

poppy as it is dd grin

ella

matilda

nancy

amelia (but a bit common)

willthink of some more later grin

mrswoolf Tue 19-Aug-08 14:17:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

belgo Tue 19-Aug-08 14:21:40

I wouldn't worry about whether or not Helena goes with the other names. You could always choose Helen or Nell instead - but the full name will be said so rarely, it doesn't really need to 'flow' IMO.

I like Rosanna, very unusual. I knew an italian Rosanna.

zonedout Tue 19-Aug-08 17:27:04

Jently, yes I love Rose as a middle name if we don't use Rosanna. I liked Martha when pg with ds so have been working on dh for years now with no luck...

mustsleep, love delilah but it reminds me too much of a song...i like your other suggestions but don't think any of them are quite 'the one' for me.

mrswoolf, loving your suggestions of Florence, Eliza and Anya... in fact, they are all on my extended list.

Belgo, I love Nell but we have an -ell in our last name and it really does sound funny together. And do you think it would be ok to have 3 names that all end in an 'a' sound? I thought it would be a bit much but perhaps am being too pedantic.

thanks all for taking the time to offer your opinions smile

lastboxoftampons Tue 19-Aug-08 17:42:01

I love Lila Rose! smile I love the name Lila full stop, but our last name starts with an Ly and is a bit of a tongue twister! And I wouldnt' worry about the Kate Moss connection - I don't think anyone really associates the two together. At least I didn't. Could be because you so seldom see her with her daughter hmm

Not sure about Rosanna as it reminds me of the Toto song, but what about Rosalie?

I also love Helena - would make a pretty first name as well.

lastboxoftampons Tue 19-Aug-08 17:43:42

Also wanted to say - I wouldn't panic! You seem in good shape and likely to come up with a name in the next 10 weeks smile. You never know, you could see your baby and come up with something completely different to what you had planned anyway! (that's what happenend with my parents when they saw me! grin)

Buckets Tue 19-Aug-08 17:49:17

My girls' list was Nancy, Heidi and Marianne (Maggie for short), with Harriet for middle name, if that's any help at all.

Not so keen on Rosanna but only due to associations with someone at school so pretty subjective theresmile.

jellybeans Wed 20-Aug-08 13:09:37

Like Clara. Not keen on old lady names like Edie or the others, sorry.

mabel1973 Wed 20-Aug-08 13:54:32

you have similar taste to me.
We have 14 weeks til our DD is born and in same predicament!

Love Martha (my DH not keen on this either)

Not sure about rosanna
My DH loves Lila...I have been put off by the Kate moss connection myself.

I quite like Edie, but not sure if i would choose it myself - it sounds like it is short for something..EDith?

Personally I like Florence, but we have a Fred so had to ditch that because of Tesco!
I also like Flora, but the general consensus on here is that it would be too cruel!

We have Nancy, lola and not alot else that we agree on.

artichokes Wed 20-Aug-08 13:59:00

I love Nell, Kitty and Clara. Rosanna is pretty too.

What about Matilda, Madeline, Mabel, Constance or Rosa?

gladders Wed 20-Aug-08 14:06:42

This thread just echoes all the names we ever discussed!

Martha - I would have had except we already aad a Matthew.... Mabel and Maisie were other 'M' names i liked...

Edie - lovely - know a v sweet Edie!

Lila - had loved this for years before Kate Moss used it but doesn't go with our surname... Lola/Laura are others I liked.

Others on our list were

Alice
Harriet
Sophie
Florence
Mara

Let us know how you get on!

Nbg Wed 20-Aug-08 14:09:28

Lovely names that you have chosen.
Even Lila grin

What about Rosalind/Rosaline
Prue/Prudence
Ava

woo12woo Thu 11-Sep-08 05:52:08

Maddie Faye

BlueChampagne Thu 11-Sep-08 13:05:27

Subjective about Rosanna too - my Mum's a Rosanne. Also like Tamsin if that's any help.

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Thu 11-Sep-08 16:19:48

Rosanna - Not keen on this. Not sure why. Because I love Rosemary which could be Rosie or Romy for short. I like Anna though. And I like Susanna and Annabel, so not sure why Rosanna sounds a big sugar-coated to my ear.

Edie - love this one, but please use Edith as her full name. In this old and chic category I also love Nancy (as suggested already) and Polly and Dulcie and Lois.

Martha - I like this a lot but I don't love it. It's pretty but in a very modest way.

Lila - not keen. Too insubstantial for a name. I'd use it as a nn for Lydia perhaps. Leila is pretty, but again, it's all prettiness and no strength.

Ellen backwards is Nelle! What about Ellen?

alittleteapot Thu 11-Sep-08 16:27:40

What about Edie Nell or Martha Nell? Love both those names. Don't like Rosanna but not sure why.

TheNaughtiestGirlIsaMonitor Thu 11-Sep-08 16:39:01

Mrs Wolf, I agree, Rosamund works better than Rosanna, imo.

naynay1080 Thu 11-Sep-08 17:57:27

Hello,

I like the name Edie,
Not to keen on Martha, In the tv programe
Noddy, Martha's a naughty monkey!!

How about May, Mae for a middle name, Its soft and goes with most names, or Rose.
Sometimes you have a name , but when babys here, they don't suit it,
good luck!!

MrsMattie Thu 11-Sep-08 18:00:52

I love Rosanna and disagree that Rosalind and Rosamund (urgh! Such a harsh name) are better. I think Rosanna is much, much prettier.

Not massively keen on Edie or Martha

Can't get past Kate Moss/Lila.

Kitty - too cutesy

Nell - lovely

Clara - pretty but not one of my favourites

cece Thu 11-Sep-08 18:04:13

How about Rosina instead?

LaDiDaDi Thu 11-Sep-08 21:14:45

Roisin
Ada
Penelope
Georgiana
Sadie
Polly
Lucille

LaDiDaDi Thu 11-Sep-08 21:15:38

PS like all of your choices too!

ethanchristopher Fri 12-Sep-08 07:49:57

i dnt like martha

i do like lila, and i really like edie

and edie helena does flow!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now