Talk

Advanced search

The names of weekend paper columnists children

(29 Posts)
branflake81 Mon 18-Aug-08 14:02:33

Why is it whenever you read a column in the supplements the children have such awful names? This usually happens in the Guardian. I won't cite any for fear of people lynching me, but this weekend's Family section is a prime example.

It's always: "John Smith took his two children Daffodil and Ethelred fly fishing this weekend"....

I find it irritating, in a probably hideously unreasonable way.

squanderer Mon 18-Aug-08 14:09:33

Do you mean they are over compensating for the parents dull, ordinary names?
You must tell us the names.

BroccoliSpears Mon 18-Aug-08 14:10:29

I think Daffodil and Ethelred are great names.

cyteen Mon 18-Aug-08 14:11:13

I believe Hero and Tybalt's mother has featured a few times in the Family section.

JuneBugJen Mon 18-Aug-08 14:11:26

Oh, I think AA Gill has an Ethel and something else scarey. I'm fairly sure Ethel has not come back as retro chic yet and still sounds like a old lady name.

hatrick Mon 18-Aug-08 14:12:39

Message withdrawn

BroccoliSpears Mon 18-Aug-08 14:16:40

Ahh but JuneBug - how do you think that names come back in to fashion if not by people using them when they're unfashionable?

JuneBugJen Mon 18-Aug-08 14:18:20

Too true. Too true.

The problem is, I hate his column with the 90% 'all about me' stream of conciousness and 10% actual reviewing so even if his dcs had the same names as mine I would still dislike them!

cyteen Mon 18-Aug-08 14:22:45

Yes, I was just thinking the same thing about AA Gill this morning JBJ (i.e. what an insufferable wankstain he is).

hana Mon 18-Aug-08 14:37:21

AA Gill

never ever waste time on reading any of his drivel based on his name alone.

oops Mon 18-Aug-08 14:47:38

Message withdrawn

LongLiveCuckoo Mon 18-Aug-08 16:15:32

There is one columnist/writer with a daughter called 'Carson'. The child is about 18 by now I think, but the mother once wrote an article about names and she was slightly disparaging about names like Anna for example. And anybody who did not instantly 'get' that the name Carson was clearly an erudite homage to writer Carson Caruthers was a fcukngi idiot/chav. It was a nasty little piece.

I would rather be an Anna than a Carson. Car.Son. Arse. Cars. There isn't even anything you can do with the name. Nowhere to go for a nn!

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 16:20:45

AA Gill's restaurant reviews - never bother reading them because they never mention the pigging restaurant until the last couple of paragraphs. When I read those w/end paper columns I just *know8 that the children will have the names you expect (Ivo, Caius,Luca,Tansy, Rafael)

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 18-Aug-08 16:21:48

cytreen grin at wankstain !

ethanchristopher Mon 18-Aug-08 17:55:33

omg i so cant believe you just slated my childrens names

i think daffodil and Ethelred are the best names in existance

wink

NoBiggy Mon 18-Aug-08 18:00:53

Anybody who doesn't insantly think "Frank" when they meet a girl called Carson is...but surely, there is no such person?

How many times has someone said to her "it's the way you tell them"?

cherrylips Tue 19-Aug-08 12:56:16

cyteen I clocked that one as well, on Saturday. I think those names are truly awful and silly. Hope they go to v posh schools where they won't get bullied.

Lol NoBiggy

cherrylips Tue 19-Aug-08 12:56:19

cyteen I clocked that one as well, on Saturday. I think those names are truly awful and silly. Hope they go to v posh schools where they won't get bullied.

Lol NoBiggy

LadyThompson Tue 19-Aug-08 13:05:37

I'm torn here.

Pretentious columnists get right up my nasal passage, especially when they wax on about Hector/Jonquil/Amaryllis.

BUT I like poncy names as well and the name I have got planned for my forthcoming daughter edges into ponce.

Ah well, here's to hypocrisy grin it will probably stand me in good stead as a parent.

Pruners Tue 19-Aug-08 13:06:03

Message withdrawn

mrsgboring Tue 19-Aug-08 13:13:22

I assumed the names were made up - especially Tybalt. Scoured the page for "some names have been changed" notes.

I do not get why people name kids after fictional / Biblical characters whose main distinction is being evil or having no redeeming features: Tybalt, Cain, Penninah.

Pruners Tue 19-Aug-08 13:14:39

Message withdrawn

cthea Tue 19-Aug-08 13:15:41

I thought the names Indigo (boy) and Walker (girl) in the Boden catalogue (supplement to Sunday papers) rather...sweet. Hugo seemed v ordinary by comparison.

TheFifthApe Tue 19-Aug-08 13:17:52

Ethel is a fab name!

and AA Gill is v funny imo

cthea Tue 19-Aug-08 13:18:41

I liked his portrayal of the Sloanes getting together for lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now