Talk

Advanced search

Views on the name Martha Iris?

(46 Posts)
Louisa12 Sat 16-Aug-08 12:23:51

I am due to have a baby girl in 3 weeks and have always liked Martha but my husband isn't that keen. We have also considered names such as Harriett, Amelia and Evie but can't seem to make a decision. Would appreciate any views.

Thanks

MrsMattie Sat 16-Aug-08 12:24:34

Martha is nice. Much prefer it to your other suggestions.

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 12:25:47

Love them all my dd2 is a Martha chosen by dp and i wasn't too keen at first but now love it and she couldn't be anything else!

edam Sat 16-Aug-08 12:30:42

Lovely.

Ashantai Sat 16-Aug-08 12:43:16

Out of the 4, i like Evie the mostsmile Might have something to do with the most adorable 3yr old at my nursery with the same name tho grin

FeelinBroody Sat 16-Aug-08 12:50:46

I think Martha is a lovely name - like retro chic. I think Iris is really sweet too, especially if it's your favourite flower or something.

Of the others I think
Harriett - should be Harriet - I like it, Harriets I know are always really nice but really sensible people
Amelia - too girly-girl for me but don't hate it
Evie - bit popular and girly for me but again not awful.

Not sure about pairing Martha Iris just cos personally I have a thing about the first name ending with a vowel and the second name starting with a vowel making it difficult to say. I'd follow Martha with a middle name starting with a consonant and not ending in --a. But if the vowel thing doesn't bother you personally then they're two lovely names

ImForeverBlowingBuble Sat 16-Aug-08 12:52:38

Lovely

artichokes Sat 16-Aug-08 12:53:11

I LOVE Iris. Really love it.

Martha is OK, I can't understand why I don't like it more but I just don't (might be due to a nasty classmate called Martha which is clearly just a personal issue). It also makes me think of the word Barf blush.

EyeballsintheSky Sat 16-Aug-08 13:04:33

just to hijack for a sec, what is with the double t on Harriet? DD is Harriet and when she was born we got a fair few cards spelling it wrong. I've only ever seen the one t spelling which was one of the things we liked about it. Drives me crazy!

I like all the names but not too keen on Martha. Sorry

belgo Sat 16-Aug-08 13:06:12

I like all the names, except that Evie is too popular.

I adore the name Martha, and it's a nice normal name as well that will suit a child and an adult.

jellybeans Sat 16-Aug-08 18:22:23

Don't like Martha at all, Evie is nice though.

giddykipper Sat 16-Aug-08 18:24:10

Martha Iris is very very nice.

Don't like Evie because I'm not keen generally on diminutives.

KashaSarrasin Sat 16-Aug-08 18:26:25

Martha Iris is lovely both were on our girls shortlist . Not so keen on the others though.

Fanlight Sat 16-Aug-08 18:26:50

Lovely. smile

savoycabbage Sat 16-Aug-08 18:26:52

I really like Harriet and Iris.

I'm not that keen on Evie and there are a lot of them.

Sobernow Sat 16-Aug-08 18:28:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScummyMummy Sat 16-Aug-08 18:38:03

i think martha iris is a v nice name

Podrick Sat 16-Aug-08 18:40:38

I like it, especially Iris
Whilst I like the name Martha it isn't exactly sexy in my book iykwim

welovepinkmilk Sat 16-Aug-08 18:43:24

Martha Iris is beautiful. Like Harriet and Amelia too but prefer Martha.

monkeycat Sat 16-Aug-08 19:28:51

I think Martha is lovely .
I am currently battling DH on this since it's my no.1 name and DC is due any day !

Sadly , he's really not keen.

WendyWeber Sat 16-Aug-08 19:31:52

I like both Martha & Iris, but not together - when one ends with a vowel & the other begins with one you get an R in between (MarthaRIris)

DoubleBluff Sat 16-Aug-08 19:31:58

Martha Iris is a beautful name

lilyloo Sat 16-Aug-08 19:36:21

Actually quite interesting this as when we called dd Martha we had a few comments about the name.
When i posted on here i got a pretty much unanimous vote of over 100+ saying it was a lovely name so helped me feel better about it.

hw2004 Sat 16-Aug-08 20:55:46

Martha is a lovely name. I have to say if I had had a girl she would have been Harriet so i'm slightly biased towards that one

ethanchristoper Sun 17-Aug-08 22:33:27

i think martha iris is a baby 90 year old

sorry lol, i dont personally like it

but its your baby, and i bet there's people who hate my little boys name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now