Talk

Advanced search

This week I've met.....

(27 Posts)
Ineedsomesleep Thu 14-Aug-08 20:42:44

Paris, Menai and Atlanta. Paris and Atlanta are toddlers, Menai is the MIL new friend.

So I was wondering, whats the most unusual place name thats been given to some poor unfortunate sod.

lilacbloom Thu 14-Aug-08 21:31:50

I know a Piza, as in the leaning tower of.

bluewolf Thu 14-Aug-08 21:35:41

B'Irmingham - a fine upstanding lad of 5. Most people call him Birmie, which sound so similar to Bernie that no one bats an eye lid. Did you hear about the girl who was awarded ward of court cos her parents named her Tululah Kuhlua does the Hula? She was 10 or 11 before the law got involved tho.

NormaStanleyBelcher Thu 14-Aug-08 21:37:22

Wardlaw

Bloke I know (of) in the scottish borders

I mean - what a fantastic name

(tis the name of a hill/mountain)

bikerunski Thu 14-Aug-08 22:07:58

My middle name is Liguanea, which is a small town in Jamaica where my dad lived for a long time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liguanea

lauraloola Thu 14-Aug-08 22:10:23

I know a 3 year old called Millan. Her parents have never been there they just liked the name - They didnt even spell it right!!

rosealbie Thu 14-Aug-08 22:11:18

I used to work with a Verona

serin Thu 14-Aug-08 23:23:25

Adelaide, and her brother Sydney were OAP neighbors of my parents.

TwoWindyDays Fri 15-Aug-08 10:03:14

Adelaide is lovely, was a name before a place tho.

I know a Bryher, Silley Isles Island.

CuckooChocolateOrange Fri 15-Aug-08 10:32:54

I know a woman wiht a Zebedee and a Montana. Ffs. She's in Australia now. Emigrated. At first, when I met her, I thought she was emigrating to Montana. Took me a while to figure it all out.

CuckooChocolateOrange Fri 15-Aug-08 10:34:45

Kinvara.

suzywong Fri 15-Aug-08 10:34:55

Staines

belgo Fri 15-Aug-08 10:37:58

Milan was unfortunately the most popular boy's name in Belgium for a good few years.

Adelaide is a very old french girl's name - very pretty when said with a french accent.

CuckooChocolateOrange Fri 15-Aug-08 10:40:06

Yeah, it is pretty except I can't get past the fact that Laide is ugly in French, so I would be trying NOT to say it in a French accent!

Mamazon Fri 15-Aug-08 10:42:31

nicole Richie has named her daughter Harlow.

i quite like it actually.

A local woman gave birth outside a large tower block recently so named her daughter after that.....Astral (towers)

castille Fri 15-Aug-08 10:51:02

In French the name is spelt Adélaïde and pronounced Adel-eye-eed.

Not at all like laide (pron led)

I know two, both v pretty!

Littlefish Fri 15-Aug-08 11:11:45

I taught a little girl called Lamorna (Cornish town/village I think).

I always thought it was realy pretty.

oysterpots Fri 15-Aug-08 13:54:38

I know a Venetia who spent a summer in Venice

MadameCastafiore Fri 15-Aug-08 13:57:49

My best friend's mum has the middle name Adelaide - we think it is hilarious - she is so not an Adelaide!

God and Harlow - why would you name your kid after there?

CuppaTeaJanice Fri 15-Aug-08 14:00:44

There's a Texas at one of the local baby groups. His brother is called Tennessee.

Sassamac Fri 15-Aug-08 15:09:28

I have a DD called Sydney. Tis a real name though, as are lots of placenames, Georgia, India, Skye for e.g. are some of my faves and I know a few of.
I know a friend with a DD Mali which I was thought was fab til I realised its just welsh for Molly.
As a teen I had a friend called Kendal (as in mint cake, in the Lake District). I still love that name now.

Some of the names here are lovely and I think labelling the bearers as 'poor unfortunates sods' as in the OP is a bit harsh.

Harlow is awful though but I can say that because I was born there.

re Kinvara I had no idea it was a placename - whereabouts is it?
I have only heard of it because its the daughter of either Charley Boorman or Ewan McGregor, cant remember which.
I like it actually, like K names generally infact, but they dont go with our surname.

struggling to think of any examples of boys names though!

scorpio1 Fri 15-Aug-08 15:11:02

Lamorna has about 5 houses, lol!

Morvah
Sennen
Lamorna

mrz Fri 15-Aug-08 15:28:59

My mother's uncle married a lady called Mauritania her father was captain of the ship rather than a connection to the country.

cheesesarnie Fri 15-Aug-08 15:32:59

i know someone with middle name vienna.
and a paris and an india

cheesesarnie Fri 15-Aug-08 15:33:16

paris was a man though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now