Talk

Advanced search

Scandinavian types: Anyone know a Mats? Is it always short for something else?

(6 Posts)
bohemianbint Wed 13-Aug-08 21:53:53

Struggling desperately with names at the mo, am due any day and we don't know the sex which is making it doubly hard.

Anyway, having a last ditch flick through a book last night, I came across the name Mats. It's Scandinavian, apparently, and I was just wondering how commonly used it is? I also like Matteus and was wondering whether Mats could be short for that, or whether to go for either in their own right.

Should add that both me and DS have Scandinavian names so it woud go quite well...

rodg82 Wed 13-Aug-08 22:06:39

I think Mats could be short for matteus...My friend has a Mats - which in his case is short for Mateen and it really suits him!
I say go for it!
You could also go for Matteo, Mattia, Mattias, Matio.....

Overmydeadbody Wed 13-Aug-08 22:08:38

I had a friend called MAts at uni, as far as I know it was not short for anything. He was Danish I think.

bohemianbint Thu 14-Aug-08 18:18:22

Cheers! It's my favourite at this moment in time, although DH not convinced, and I'm not sure whether to have Mats or Matteus. Or both. We're a child out of synch with names, he wants what I wanted last time and have since gone off a bit. We'll see...

UpSinceCrapOClock Thu 14-Aug-08 18:23:18

In Danish it's Mads and pronounced Mass (as in Mads Mikkelsen) - I've never connected it with the name Matteus (have never really come across people shortening their names in Denmark, people just seem to be called what they are called iyswim). I love it, great name and the Mads' I know are all charming, cheeky types

bohemianbint Sat 16-Aug-08 19:28:42

Blimey - I think we may have arrived at a definitive decision! It's looking like this baby will be a Matteus, if it's a boy. Still screwed if it's a girl though...hmm

Shit though, will he spend his life being called Rosie?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now